Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which is a better buy for a daily driver? 55 Olds vs. 57 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justnicholas, May 27, 2010.

1. justnicholas

justnicholas

I am going off to college in 3 months or so and wanted to buy a cool summer ride. I am currently building a '34 pickup but thought it would be fun to buy an old car as a daily driver. I need help between these two:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1759066151.html
    or
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1751565933.html

I like the 55 olds because it has a big block and it is a two door and the 98 but not a fan of purple or the interior.

I like the 57 because it has the color scheme I would like, but then it has a 350 rocket and it is a 4 door.

Both have disc brakes and are said to run fine. I am checking them both out tomorrow.

I need your help which is a better deal?

2. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I like the Buick.

3. I'd personally go for the 2dr.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Buick would be the one for me.

5. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

buick hands down.

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are going to college Im thinking $$$ will be short. So maybe not the big block?

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

If the body is solid, I would go with the Olds. I'd much rather have a 2dr. hardtop. You can always throw a quick paint job on it and redo the interior.

8. nothing wrong with a small block and 4 doors can be cool too, overall the buick looks like a much nicer car... just my 2 cents, good luck

9. Algon

Algon

I also like the Buick even as a 4 door but that is from a small picture on the net and either car could be hiding a major deal killing issue or a bunch of smaller ones. The 2dr Olds would be my choice if it didn't look so cheesy. Honestly most cars with that sort of appearance rarely surprise you with workmanship. If the build is decent I might consider covering up all that ugly for the 455, 9inch and 2 less doors. The look might help you get a deal on it.

10. Johnny The Boy

Johnny The Boy

that 57 buick has ball joints that have to be rebuilt. if they go out your out of a car for awhile.

11. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I like the olds... Paint is quick... Body on the other hand

12. As much as I love Buicks, I'd got for the Olds, as it's a 2 door.

13. justnicholas

justnicholas

I love the looks of the buick way more, but I like the olds being a big block, and two door. Such a hard decision for me gonna go check them out tomorrow so hopefully that will let me see.

14. Buy the one that gives you wood. Seriously, if you don't love it - don't buy it.

15. The Olds, it's a two door. Only grandmas and four door owners roll four doors. Can't sugar coat it, it's true.

16. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

buick never made a rocket motor and they sure as hell never made a "450 rocket" like the guy says.

id go for the buick as it looks cleaner but both ads leave a lot to be desired. go check em out and give more feedback

17. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Is the Buick a four door hard top?

If so... the Buick.

If not... the Buick

18. justnicholas

justnicholas

I was looking I think all 57 buicks are hard tops so it probably is. Plus the windows don't look like they leave a pillar.

19. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Thats what i thought to, cause even the wagons were hard tops. But I feel like i've seen a post....maybe not.

20. 67Amazon

67Amazon

Probably a typo 450=350 but definately no rocket, that'd be the Olds.. ;) Go with the Buick if the suspension, steering, engine, and trans are all in good order. Easier to pack ladies in the 4-dr anyway and that's what college is all about...

21. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Buick....It'sa hardtop.....

I love a 4 door hard top....seems to be much more visually pleasing anyway.....that said like the other bloke said, I'd take the one that didnt have hidden issues raising their heads and second to that the one that I could get the best deal on if the issues issue wasn't an issue. (Say that fast three times)

22. Yes, Buick made four-door post sedans and wagons in '57.

If you want a daily, buy the one with the mechanicals and suspension in the best shape, and the better quality work done. Forget about the color or the number of doors and worry more about whether or not it's going to leave you stranded on the side of the road. You can have just as much fun in a 4-door as a 2-door, it's not like you're picking between a sports car and a 1985 Plymouth minivan.

The Buick to have a late motor and trans will probably have had to have the rearend changed and that means a whole new suspension setup since the torque tube in the stocker locates it. I've seen them done well, and I've seen them done insanely poor. Look it over good.

23. H3O

H3O

I'd get the buick. one of the best looking cars in 50's. have fun with either one!

24. justnicholas

justnicholas

I saw the buick today. Its decently nice needs lots of little things. Pictures do look better than in person, the engine isn't a rocket or a 350. Its actualy a 455 Buick engine which is nice. Hopefully see the olds tomorrow and make a decision.

25. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

id go for the buick plus they have the most beautiful back window im my view

26. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i had a '72 skylark with a 455. driven modestly on 87 octane it would get 15mpg all day long and still have enough HP/TQ to embarrass most cars

27. 8-9-duck

8-9-duck

tough choice. i think the buick has a closed or torque tube drive shaft. that is a big problem if you want differnt rear ends gears. still a tough choice.

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep, I agree, and I love Buicks...

Well since it has disc brakes I'd venture to think it's been clipped. But if it's the original front suspension then those ball joint are $1200 with rebuildable cores. Not cool.

The made post cars as well. My first 57 was a 4 door post.

29. wood470

wood470

Save your money for beer and chicks. You can buy an old car later but you mite not have your hair and the chicks will be scarce.

30. narlee

narlee

Got to be the 2 door.