Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which flywheel to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBYBMR, May 8, 2011.

1. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

In a previous thread, I mentioned the 301ci sbc engine I'll be installing in my '52 Chevy Styleline. I will be running either a Muncie M-20 or a Super T-10 ( I have both) with an S-10 4x4 rearend with 3:73 gears.

My question is: which flywheel would you recommend, a 153 tooth or 168 tooth? Heavy or light? Steel or aluminum? I also have whichever bellhousing (stock aluminum) I might need.

Thank you

2. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I would use either ... 153 or 168. Whichever one you already have. A aluminum flywheel allows the 301 to rev quicker but if you have the 301 in a 3000 plus vehicle ... a steel one would be my choice. Most 301's have very little bottom end HP. A iron flywheel ( a 168 ) helps keep the engine from dying down as much when you let the clutch out. I have a real 69 Z-28 flywheel in my spare parts stash ... that came out of my 69 Z-28 about 35 years ago. I believe it is a 168 tooth flywheel but I would have to look to see to be SURE.

4. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Thank you. I have an iron 168 tooth, so may go with that. Is there any issue with the starter mounting means with either on a 283 block?

5. Snarl

Snarl

If using a 168 tooth flywheel, you need to make sure the bellhousing you are using is for that size flywheel, and that the starter has the staggered mounting bolts. You'll want a starter with the iron nose, otherwise you may have issues with it interfering with the bellhousing. 70's-up trucks typically have the larger flywheel bellhousings, but they also have the larger 5 1/8" center hole, so an adapter ring will be needed if using a trans with the 4 11/16" bearing retainer. This is a much cheaper alternative to the 461 bellhousing.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

IF ...

I already had a 168 tooth flywheel, I would use it and find a 55/57 Chevrolet bell housing. Like this one. The starter mounts to the bellhousing, not the block. ALL 55/57 SBC's used this setup. 168 tooth flywheel ... this bell housing and a 3 bolt starter.
    This only works with a manual shift transmission.

[​IMG]

See where the starter bolts up ? ( on the left lower side of the photo )

[​IMG]

The starter bolts up without shimming or adjusting. Works great and the REALLY COOL thing about these parts is this is the way it was done " back in the day " :D :D