Register now to get rid of these ads!

which flathead transmission?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thesupersized, Jul 4, 2009.

1. thesupersized

thesupersized

My brother and I recently acquired a 41 ford pickup in boxes with no motor or trans, however we do have 2 of the stock rear end/torque tubes, I also have a 53 merc flathead currently at the machine shop that I was going to use in my 50 ford but it would be nice in this truck...Which transmission should we be looking for that will bolt up to that motor and to the torque tube??? We'd like to keep the original looking tall floor shifter...

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Trans 39 car 39-46 PU . You will need a bellhousing off a 49-51 Merc. or 49-53 PU with a 3 speed trans .Other combinations of trans parts can be put together to get what you need,like 32-38 case with gears and rear bearing retainer from 40-48 car. Got to use the 39 style top cover though.

3. thesupersized

thesupersized

thanks

a friend of mine has one out of a 48? i believe truck it's a 4 speed with open drive? i could get an open drive conversion, would this be a good or bad choice for a 276" merc motor that is planning on being driven all over, I'm assuming 1st gear on the 4 speed is basically useless?

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

THe four speed would not be your best choice . If I had your collection of parts, I would follow johns advice. That said hoewever, if an open drive is conversion or later model rear axle is a possibility, how about a S-10 five speed trans ? Small, shifts well, light, and an overdrive to keep the revs down on the free way.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The early Ford 4-speed truck transmissions are all "granny-gear" low boxes which aren't any fun in any kind of situation unless you're building a household moving van.
    Stick with the 3-speed boxes only or if you must have that 4th or 5th gear go with the late model T5 conversions.

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

ok, well, we definately do not want to go the late model route, so we will follow JohnEvans advice and stick with a 3 speed, If we wanted to drive an S10, we wouldve bought an S10...

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus