Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which exhaust manifolds for 52 Chevy truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j_johnson, Oct 31, 2011.

1. j_johnson

j_johnson
    from Iowa

I set the engine in the frame tonight and starting wondering what I was gonna need to run for exhaust. Its 400 sb chevy in a 52 chevy truck. The engine has truck manifolds on it now which are a tight fit. I dont think hugger headers are gonna do much either since they will drop right down to the steering shaft. I think i'm going to need a manifold that dumps out the back..Whats everyone using on theirs? Any Pictures? I also heard I should try to mount the motor as high up as possible to help with steering clearance issues, any rough estimates as to how how it should set up? Thanks for any advice!

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

Many posts and many opinions on how to do this swap.Keeping the stock front axle,I offset the SBC to the right about 1-1/4 inches,modified the brake pedal lever so it missed the left side of engine.Used Rams Horn manifolds ,had to notch the right frame rail slightly for exhaust and fuel pump.I set the engine lower for supposedly better handling,front pulley just above the crossmember and set back as far as the distributor cap permits. The engine tilted back about 2 degrees and using a Muncie 4 speed ,the stock rear crossmember was reworked for the tranny mount.The steering box still needed to be moved out an inch or so for proper clearance.
    I suppose it's easier to jack up the engine for fit and not worry about turning a truck into a sports car :D