Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which black paint to use for detailing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzfidelity, Dec 9, 2011.

1. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

What's the best black paint recommended for detailing hubcaps since it has worn off in places, also for detailing the wheel wells, etc.. will any waterproof flat black paint work, or what is recommended?

2. Speed King

Speed King
    from Omaha

I use Eastwood chassis black with great success. It lays down great and I have even used it to paint motorcycle frames. I have been amazed at how durable it is. Their catalog has many other paints that may work for you as well.

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

i normally keep lots of spray cans on the shelf but one day i was goona clean up the hubcaps on my galaxie and had run out of flat black and no satin black either. but i did have some krylon bbq and stove paint. used that and did i get a suprise. i looks good still after about 2 1/2 yrs.i just run some tape along the edges and took a artist brush and sprayed some paint in the cap and went to town.paint can cap not the hubcap.lol

4. One shot and a brush.

5. sskustoms

sskustoms

I have had good luck with plasti - kote engine enamel . Holds up well

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  6. Depending on the look I'm after I use Dupli-Color Semi-Gloss Black for most of my engine compartment work. However when I'm looking for a little more sheen or trying to duplicate the look of General Motors E-coat primer I'll use Plasti-kote Semi-Gloss which matches the E-coat perfectly.

Both paints flow out very well for a nice finish. The only problem I found is that the Dupli-Color paint can be sensitive to the humidity causing it to get a cloudy look to it. This can be cured with a heat lamp if done immediately.

7. OutLaw, I do the same thing, I find that the cheaper rattle cans at H/D work great for this kinda app. works the best and last a good long time,
    I've had great results with it.