Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which 2 barrel to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jun 16, 2015.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

So, the 283 that we just put in my '54 210 came with a 2GC, as evidence of the tag on it. I thought it looked right, and I was impressed it had a tag, knowing that most get lost. But it was leaking gas. Upon my father's advice, I purchased a gasket set and planned to give that a try.

Last weekend we pulled it out of the garage. It died. Trying to restart it without pumping the gas at all, but my father-in-law giving it a few squirts of engine starter (he always has some handy with his Jeep) the carb spat out a bunch of gas and flooded the engine, making us wait for it to dry before restarting and backing back into the garage. This leads me to think it's also a float problem. I know float specs for 2GCs are all over, but hopefully the tag will at least give me a car number to go by while researching :D

Now, as the thread's title suggests, I have 2 other Rochester carbs. My dad had them in his garage (I remember one was even still bolted on an intake) and I grabbed them in vague plans of buying a 3x2 intake, rebuilding these and slapping it on my 327. Well, since then I blew the 327 and settled on the little 283 with a 2 barrel to keep my foot out of it somewhat.

The 2 carbs from my dad are a little grimy, so should I soak all 3 in Pine Sol and try out the other 2 while I repair the one that's on now? I've never ran these carbs and I figured cleaning them with Pine Sol would be the less caustic option, economical, and I'd read good things about it here on the HAMB. I guess trying the other 2 would only cost me the cleaner, the gas and my time bolting them on and trying them, so I just was curious what you all think. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. hotrod54chevy likes this.
  3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Just bolt on one of the other carbs, you may be surprised and it will run just great all grubby looking.

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  4. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Yeah, but I like a nice looking engine, and I don't think I'd be out anything by just letting it soak. Thanks, though.

5. alchemy

alchemy

If you dunk a carb in something to clean it, you might as well figure on tearing it completely apart to get all the grime (and cleaning juice) out of all the orifices.

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  6. stimpy

stimpy

the old MAcs carb dip is still available in small quantities , thats the good stuff , but only set for 2 hours at most as it will eat the casting and any finish off , I heard the pinesol method works good too and to use real hot water and try to keep it stirred up . as for 2 gcs , you can use any model and adjust it to the motor at hand , they are not really motor specific . most of the adjustments are for cams ( vacuum pull over at idle ) and carb angles like in trucks . I try to shoot for the middle of the road setting on the float. and make sure that the acellerator pump well is clean and your on the right pump hole on the arm

7. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'd planned on taking at least the bowls off and letting it get inside.

If I take my dad on his word, they should be good carbs, but I know memory, car parts and "should be good" don't always mix. We spent a day trying to troubleshoot why a "good" alternator he had wasn't working, until we took it to a parts store that tested it as faulty. Everything on them moves freely, I just want to clean them up first. I know I can slap any old thing on there, but if you do that, it shows. Thanks for all the help!