Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Where's all the old ASCOT film footage??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sanfordsotherson, Apr 13, 2010.

1. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

When my brother and I were little, about 30+ years ago, we used to watch the stock car races at ASCOT in Gardena (California) on TV, on Saturday mornings. This was around '72-'74? If I remember right, they raced on more of a road course, instead of an oval. And I think it was dirt. It was also during the day, 'cause I don't remember any night racing. I think it ran on KTLA channel 5 in So. Cal.

Where's all the old film footage?! I'd love to see it again! It was in color too.

2. coachcraft.ltd

coachcraft.ltd
    from fillmore

Dude I loved ASCOT on Friday night flat track races and midgets ....Goodtimes when you are a kid !!!!

3. Retrorod

Retrorod

I bet KTLA has a vault full of that stuff. I can almost hear old Dick Lane now...."whoaaa Nelly!!!"

4. k9racer

k9racer

HAMB member Thom Luce toml24 on the hamb wrote in his excellent book that very little film survived.. So the next best thing are the great photos he has published in his book..not only great photos but very well written.. I have enjoyed mine very much. Bobby..

5. toml24

toml24

I remember those Saturday TV shows from Ascot Park. They were the figure-8s that were taped on Sundays and shown weeks later. The host of those shows were Tom Malone and his wife. The TV show was something of an odd make of a studio show with Malone/wife and perhaps a guest, plus video of the figure-8s.
    If Tom Malone or family members could be hunted down they might have some classic vintage figure-8 color video tapes. IIRC the shows were on for perhaps 2-years.
    As far as KTLA tapes of the races during the 1960s I was allowed to meet with a KTLA engineer and his word was "WE have not found them yet". I haven't given up but there is no compelling reason for KTLA to invest the time to look because even if found they must weigh the cost/return $$ issue. If enough people bugged them it might help.
    Tom

6. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

Cal Worthington /country music /Ascot hotrods/Dick Lane.........
    my folks had one of the 1st TV sets in the Reseda SoCal neighborhood
    i remember on the weekend neighbors brought folding chairs to watch the KTLA shows..........during the week after school TV didnot start until 5pm
    i had my own TV in my room.........

7. photofink

photofink

Whats Ascot???

8. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"Whats Ascot???"

That was before your time...

9. When a redneck explains he's aquired something new. "Ascot a cold" ... This bad pun soon to be seen in B.C. -

10. photofink

photofink

Just kiddin. I was just trying to make you feel old.
    I did get a chance to ride the slick track go-karts before it closed down.