Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to get Titanium?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mel, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Mel

Mel

I'm looking for a cubic inch of titanium... anyone know where I can get some? 1" square stock or 1" round stock will work.

Thanks in advance.

~Melissa

2. Any particular alloy?

I'll get you a piece tomorrow at work, do you need a bigger pice? I have tons.

3. Mel

Mel

The material properties aren't as important as the color. I'm looking for something more on the whiter end of spectrum.... anything that shines up nice will work.

From what I've seen in finished jewelry, it's labeled as "TI999 Commercial Pure" but I'm not sure what that means exactly.

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

i don't know about 1" thick, but i work with titanium all the time, i can get you a piece, perhaps 5/8 dia. and however long you need to get one cu in. most of what we have is round stock, or thin plate. i can look and see what i can come up with. i can even make sure it's "finished" on all sides for ya.

5. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

my father works in a tool crib and raw materials building that has tons of it.

only problem is it's for the space shuttle and he can't even bring me some scraps!!!

you would not believe the amount they have, cost is no issue with our government..... :)

6. I have a foot or so of 7/8ths round stock

7. Mel, just PM me where to send it.

All titanium is that silvery color in it's natural state when it's not polished, polish it correctly and it will shine like a mirror

If you are talking about the rainbow colored stuff, that effect comes from an anodizing process, I can get you the literature on that process if you would like it.

Now if I can get those darn 15,000 pond ingots out of the way and find a piece that small in the waste basket we be OK.

Seriously, if you need some more or different sizes let me know, as I work for the US's largest titanium producer and I regularly shitcan pounds of metal into our scrap barrels.

If anyone out there in HAMBland needs info on working with titanium, just ask, I've worked in the R&D Lab for a company called TIMET(www.timet.com) for 30 years now and if we don't know about it, it hasn't been done!

8. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

cool, Dreamweaver.

Does your company ship titanium to United Space Alliance (nasa contracter)?

that's who my dad works for and he says the buy more titanium than almost anyone. they use it from anything like bolts, to huge cnc slabs that are cut to make components that take 5 days to cut.

9. Brickster

Brickster

Why does the Timet plant smell so bad?

10. I'm not in the sales dept so I couldn't say for sure, but more than likely yes, we are the largest US supplier/maker of titanium. The airplane industry is our largest customer.

If you have ever seen a SR-71, all that skin and alloy development work was done here in our lab. Most space stuff comes from us too.

11. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

yeah, i'm sure that it must be from you then. they have ALOT of it in the raw materials building at Cape canaveral United Space Alliance place.

the shuttle is probably 35% titanium at the least. and there's more than one shuttle, and they replace bolts and things like that after every flight. even though the shuttles been grounded for a long time now, they're actually busier than ever before because they're trying to make it safer and more updated.

12. Mel

Mel

Thanks Dreamweaver! Sent you a PM.

13. My dad worked (retired now) for a Gov't contrator, I think I have about $3000.00 worth of custom bronze/teflon alloy brake line clamps under my '46.