Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to get old water transfers, repop or otherwise.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

LKooking to add a little detail to the fly. Lookin for old styled speed shop water transfers etc. I know Moon sells vinyl stickers but........

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Make your own on your ink jet printer...at least that is what they claim. I bought the paper and my computer died before I could try it. All the old decals that I saved from the decal post a while back are gone. It's worth a try.

Take a look here....
    water slide decal paper

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

4. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Root, the manufacture of "water transfer" decals is almost a "dying art."

The vinyl type last a lot longer.

The few original "water transfer" decals I have are showing cracks. And these have been carefully stored in negative (film) sleeves in an album for preservation.

Tried to apply one of them, (an extra Moon Eyes) a while ago, and gave up trying to fit the pieces together and wiped it off.

I'm afraid to even open the album.

5. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Roothawg-
    I got a sheet with a few on it
    that I don't know what to do with.
    Real cartoony though, don't know if you want that...?

Might be able to take pics in a bit...

6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

7. I bought an original Crower one on E-bay for $8... just put decal into the search engine... the ones Moon sells are stickers made to look like the old decals.
    Sam.

8. klazurfer

klazurfer

Yep !! Make Yr own [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. klazurfer

klazurfer

next up [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

11. gokatgo

gokatgo
    from Phx AZ

12. gowjobs

gowjobs

A couple of model-builder's tips on waterslide decals:

Spray 'em with a couple of light coats of clear lacquer, and old decals will hang together better.

If they're yellowing out, a couple of days taped in your window will usually make the clear areas transparent again.

Dave

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

GoKatGo, those are really kool. Pinup girlies all ya'll sell?

14. av8

av8

Don't want to hear any whining about how tough it is to apply water-transfer decals. I put one on the trunk of my first AV8 in its Bonneville livery of white and sky-blue primer (youthful dreams) that is the largest I ever tackled. Got it from the parts manager at Bayliss Ford/Lincoln/Mercury in Bishop, California, in 1954. Needed a galvanized washtub to soak it and then used a printer's brayer to smooth it out once it was in place. Got it centered and square without so much as one bubble in it anywhere. Wish I still had the nerves of steel to do something like that today . . .

15. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

So Cal Speed Shop.

Attached Files:

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I guess I may have to go to vinyl. Just wanting to keep it pretty period correct........ ya know?

17. k9racer

k9racer

Try HAMB member pinstriper Sam at Rocco and Cheater speed shop in Bham Alabama. They have been in business since 1946 . He has a good supply. He is not on line at this time . Give him a call mon thru fri at 205 328 5141. He will be at the races this weekend Good Luck and I hope this helps.

18. Greezy

Greezy

Hey Root I ve been collecting them from the Bay, I have gotten several real nice ones from there. What you looking for I might have a couple I might part with.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

there not hard to make. I had to make some for a old gas pump my boss had me restore. got the paper on line out of FL. I think. just printed em clear coated em put em on. get you the name of the place monday if you like?

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Does the clear coat keep the ink from running?
    Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks

Greezy....keep your treasures. Just looking mainly.

21. av8

av8

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yes keeps it from running and kinda holds it together. the first one I did for a test was with a lite coat or krylon ( thats what thay said to use ) kinda wanted to fall apart when it got wet. So I put it on thicker and it worked good. The next time I do some im going to try useing PPG urethane clear. I think the stuff is just some kind of glue that you print over and the clear holds it all together. It comes in clear or white.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I may hafta make my own...thanks for the links.

24. If you want to make your own, Bare metal foil company makes the paper for model kits about 1.50 a sheet 8x11.5 you run it through your inkjet printer and walla instant water decals. they have clear and white background water transfer paper. NOTE!!!!: you decal collectors I have hear horror stories of people buying old decal set and trying to actually use them!! Some of these decal were not ment to last. So I heard of some people trying to use them and they turn into instant mush once dropped in water. BE CAREFUL!!! I would buy the decal get a good scan of it and reprint it. Good luck guys

25. 55olds88

55olds88

I guy I know down here does some, reminds me I must find out what he has before the Summer really gets underway.
    If there is anything real good I will do a post.

26. whizzerick

whizzerick

Folks, NOTHING can replace a lacquer based, silkscreened decal. The specialty papers being sold (originally developped by Borden - the white glue people) are great for models but simply can't hold up to real world weathering: it is NOT solvent or water proof. You can (and should) stabilize the color with Krylon spray but shooting ('mild') urethane clear over it will simply melt the fused inks and the artwork will run... Ask me how I know...
    Water-transfer decals are lacquer based inks silkscreened on paper coated with water soluble glue. These days, silkscreening over ultrathin, clear Mylar is a great alternative.