Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to buy h2o resistant door panel backer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kraz, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Hey, my interior door panels are saggy and probably go wet sometime in their life (56 buick fyi). The door skins are not original and probably done in the 80's. They are in great shape...just out of shape.

I think I can peel the old ones off the fatigued board and use the old as a template. I just need to know what to purchase and where!

Also any tips on adhesive (super 77 spray?) would be nice also.

Just called a local auto interiors joint (Turners in OP) and sight unseen think it will be 150+ which is not in my budget.....

Oh, side note. I am about 6-4" and the steering wheel just about pins my nuts to the seat...anyone ever try to run a longer slider for their front seat? I like the original steering wheel and do not care to replace it with a smaller diameter unit.

Thanks.....

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

New waterproof cardboard (black board) is still available. Lots of upholsterers are using some kind of plastic stuff these days.

3. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Rod Doors sells some plastic stuff by the foot used for interiors. U can probably get it cheaper elsewhere if you figure out what it is.

4. Use the stuff they use in bathroom showers. Marlite? I think thats what its called. Back in the 70's my dad used it as a shower surround (no.... really!) The stuff lasted YEARS as a shower surround. If it can stand up to my then teenage sisters marathon showers, it should last forever as a door panel backer. Its what I plan to use in the truck when I get that far.

5. chopped

chopped

A cheap flat panel shower surround, the type that you put together.

6. 4woody

4woody

Re your seat: maybe you can just remount your existing seat brackets a little farther back on the floor? Than got me a couple extra inches in my '38 with an easy hour's work and no $ outlay.

7. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

ABS plastic sheeting is your best bet. It works extremely well for door panels, and is relatively inexpensive. Just do a Google search for ABS plastic sheets and you should be able to find a bunch of suppliers.

8. Offy

Offy

Yep, ABS plastic, same stuff the hot rod interior manufacturers use. Get it from any plastics supply house, most carry 4'x8' sheets. It is easy to work with and relatively inexpensive.

9. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

dynamat extreme is designed for just that. Waterproof and sound deadening.

Bondo

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Waterproof cardboard is NOT...go with plastic...

R-

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Thin plywood is not perfectly waterproof, but has proven durable in a couple of my cars. The kind used to skin interior doors is strong enough for the task, satisfactorily flexible, and not too expensive.

12. Got it plastic sheet.....more specs folks! How thick and what do the pros use....

Hmmm....I have some cardboard boxes I can double up on and wrap them in 3mil construction bags.....

13. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

I'd use 1/8" thick ABS plastic sheeting. Should work well. ;)

14. OLLIN

OLLIN

check your local plastic/plexiglass store. I used some of that stuff for a model in arch. school. I think it was about $40-$45 for a 4x8 sheet.
    You can cut it with a blade but it takes a while. you could probably also use a jigsaw with a fine blade and then go back and sand the edges smooth.
    I just used that stuff you can get from home depot, its called "hard board" I think its like $8 for a 4x8 sheet and I just painted it to help waterproof it..
    the ABS would be a good solution though.

15. man...interior work is not cheap....and I am!

Looks like the plastic is expensive..but I will search the links.

Once I find my backer, what adhesive do I use? 3m Super 77 or? Let me know what works well.

After talking with a few local interior guys...abs is the way to go for sure when comparing to original stuff.

Thanks and I will keep you posted.......

16. For door and trunk panels I've used expanded PVC sheet, available at plastics suppliers. Get a 4 X 8'sheet, thick enough so it holds its shape and isn't too bendy. Works very well. Totally waterproof, indestructable and cheap as I remember.

For Ford or Lincoln trunk panels, get some pyroxlin pebble grain paper from Roy Nacewicz. Cut the PVC panel to size, shoot 3M adhesive on it and use wifey's pie crust roller to smooth the paper on. Use a pin to pop any air bubbles, but if you're careful you won't get any. Trim the paper and shoot it any color you want. It loves paint. When done you cannot tell it from the original, and it'll never absorb any water or discolor like original paper-based cardboard panels.