Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to but faux wood paneling for a wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RenoRat, Jun 9, 2007.

1. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

Ive looked online but I cant seem to find a resorce for the faux wood paneling Has anyon replaced it b4? I need my 63 country squire lookin good Mang!!

2. 3M used to make several different colored vynil woodgrain decals some time ago but I believe they have discontinued production. Check with Sharpline in Kansas. Do a google search for the web site with all their decal products .

3. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I've been doing a lot of research on this for my wagon. I've come to the decision that the best thing to do is have it faux (sp?) painted in a woodgrain. That's the way I'm going with mine.

I did talk to a guy that could do sticker like the kind they put on cars these daysfor advertising. The ones hat will cover the whole ca. But they tell me that it won't last more than a couple of years at best.

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Do a search on here or try to contact Jdee (here) He is the man on Faux woodgraining

5. Rik

Rik

Try John Hoglund at Sign Language (562)997-3930 or [email protected]. He send me samples of the 2 kinds of woodgrain he makes for VistaCruisers and CountrySquire's
    Rik

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

7. sawzall

sawzall

i think its still called dinoc or dinok..
    search for that..

julianos has THE process.

they did the "inserts" on my SKATKAT'S 51 ford wagon
    I dont know if your car has the same type of inserts but I believe bobjuliano (here on the hamb) has a 60 country squire

Jeff

8. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

:D Ace hardware has some. It says "shelf paper" on it , but I'm sure you could use it.:D

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

avery graphics (avery-denison) you can buy it from fellows banner supply. they have 2 different patterns.

10. faux wood, you meen Viagara ?.....lol

11. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

my buddy had his airbrushed on,looks killer

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The right, original stuff is kind of expensive. I don't think shelf paper will last outside for very long. A buddy bought the original graining panels for a late model station wagon, and would have paid over $1000 for the entire car!
    I have one of Jdee's woodgraining kits. I would definately spend the $350 on a kit, and paint it myself, than buy the stick on stuff. Even the high quality OEM stuff...it IS a bit tricky to lay down nice on curved surfaces. Painting it on works well, lasts long...and the stuff Jdee uses in the kit REALLY looks like wood. Has all different patterns of wood, as well!
    If you have the kit, you can also do the dash, or window moldings, etc. It works well even on very tightly curved parts.

13. Here is some that I have airbrushed.

Attached Files:

14. Try www.flexchrome.com - they also make faux metal trim that may work for some on here.

Steve

15. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

There's a place called Penn State Industries that has a lot of woodworking and woodturning supplies, including an artificial veneer sheet that would work pretty well if covered by a UV-stable varnish or clearcoat. It comes in all sorts of wood types and follows contours better than other options.

--Matt

16. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I use wood grained contact shelf paper.
    Spray some soapy water on the car and on the sticky side of the paper before you lay it down. then use a squige start in the center and work your the edge to remove bubbles. It's like doing window tint. I did it to a 65 country squire. Easy to do and looks great.

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have a bunch of odd and ends mid 70's Ford woodgrain. It's still sticky and in good shape but the widest is likely maybe 20 inches and 3-4 feet long.

You would have a difficult time making coverage for a complete car. I figure I'll find some use for it someday but I've had it since the 70's.

18. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

buddy bought a kit to redo one of the fenders on his `90 Cherokee Briarwood.....it`s still available through Mopar and comes in a big sheet that you cut to fit.Worked great,I think it`s about $70 a sheet.

19. Don't fake trees come from a fauxrest?

:D

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  20. flyin-t

flyin-t

That's pretty god damn funny!

21. Jdee

Jdee

The 3M Di-noc works good for the dark wood on the flat panels.
    We usually print the maple on the fiberglass. One thing though, its a good idea to lay down another layer of glass on the back sides to give the fiberglass a bit more strength. That old glass is brittle and might crack and mess up your new finish when you put it back on. Plus you don't have to be fussy its the back.. I use the Solar Resin. Drys nice and fast out in the sun and not so sticky.
    trying to figure out this youtube stuff. hope this works its just a Dash panel being printed.. Well I better get back to the fauxrest :D
    Jdee

<object>
    <embed src="http://rbicycle.iserver.net/photos/video/walnut/walnut.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="320" height="270" name="walnut" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    </embed>
    </object

22. Squatch

Squatch

Any updates? I have a 63 squire and am watching around for ideas... I just bought 2 more 63 squires... one's a factory 4-speed center console car...Mike