Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where has all the angel hair gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McPhail, Dec 18, 2007.

1. McPhail

McPhail

I'm desperately searching for the old style angel hair...... anyone got a source , or have some?

2. solo_909

solo_909

3. You can find "IT" on eBay.

4. rustrustler

rustrustler

have you tried your local craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels? If anyone is going to have some this is the time of the year to find it. Good Luck!

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

7. Don't know if they got Joann's fabrics out in Kansas but that's where I always get mine out in here in Colorado. I love the stuff!

8. MotorBike Mike

MotorBike Mike

I also got mine from joann's... and they had alot! But I did get a lot of funny looks... a big tattooed greasy guy in a girlie fabric store haha

Mike

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you're talking about the white stranded stuff they used to use in displays in the 60's, underneath the cars, it was originally filter material for aquariums! You might start looking there. I used to use it in the old fish tank. It may have been "outalwed" though, as it was just pure fiberglass strands....itchy, and if deteriorating, put up a dust that was very bad for your lungs.
    Or are you talking about the white long haired fur you put in interiors? That shoud be easier to find, at craft and fabric stores.

10. Sam here Mike same here.

Not nearly as bad as when I had to go back and pick up Zebra fur and sewing needles for my old ladies Hearse. I think I heard the cashier giggle a little.

11. McPhail

McPhail

Yeah guys, I'm looking for the fiberglassy strand stuff for a 60's style show display......I'm going to need a lot of it.....if someone has an outlet for it I'd pay them to get it and ship it to me......I've tried all retail resources around here.......can anyone help?......

12. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Weve got a garden store here in Kenosha, Wi. that has a giant selection of Christmas stuff. I bought some there 2 years ago when I put my bike in the Milwaukee World of Wheels. It's the long stringy stuff we all know and love from the 60's. I can grab a box and ship it off to you. If it's what your looking for, I'll get what they have in stock. PM me with your address.

13. flathead4d

flathead4d

Try Bronners in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Bronners.com

14. Eryk

Eryk

Yeah, I've been looking for it too. I was told that because of it's fiberglass content, it was recently discontinued at most retailers. Michaels, Joanns, Hancock Fabrics, etc. None of the ones in Socal carry it anymore.

The newer Euro stuff is similar but not exactly the same. It's shorter and more curly. And only comes in small .5oz bags.

This is the stuff I've been looking for. It's much longer.
    [​IMG]

15. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I've never under stood it..what i it s meant to look like? Snow? tyre smoke? . What about using lazers and a fog generator instead ( warm air blowing over dry ice in a box...like a hammer horror movie) to create a light show?

16. metalman

metalman

Ummm, as a former car show judge I was real happy when angel hair went out of style! After a day of crawling around the stuff I'd be miserble with the iching! We also learned (as a judge) to look under it, it was great to hide flaws and dirty wheel wells. I have to admit it would make me smile to see a full display of it again, now that I'd be outside the ropes.

17. hey dude try Wal-Mart....according to my wife they have tons of that shit.... have fun in that hell hole though

18. haring

haring

I guarantee that if McPhail needs angelhair, it's for a display that when photographed, will look like it could have appeared in the 1958 (1962?, dunno, pick a year) Custom Cars Annual.

Color wheel, perhaps.
    Laser? Nah.

19. when I was a kid, my mom used it at christmas time on the tree, until I decided it would be fun to play in....she didn't use the little stuff like normal, it was the LONG strands of it...after trying in vain to get it out of the washing machine (and everyone else's clothes), it was gone never to be seen again :(

I was looking for some a couple years ago and couldn't find any...it's nice to know it's available again, I'll have to get some more and surprise mom...no, that would be mean at her age.

Can hardly wait to see what you have in mind for this stuff, man...

20. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

old folks home ? just offer to clean all the hair brushes .
    The angels nowadays go commando ;)

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I tried to find this stuff in bulk back in 1996 when I was showing roths rotar, I found a manufacturer called Union Wadding company, I think they were on the east coast. When I contacted the you would think I was trying to obtain national defense secrets or something, They wouldnt sell it to me. I ended up buying about 150 of those little packages through a friend whos mom had a craft store . that still wasnt enough to go around that little car. good luck man

22. man, that nursing home variety has a strange BLUE tint to it...

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I just saw a shit load of it at the mall tonight in a santa type display

24. Von Franco

Von Franco

Dennis I have still in the bag with the orignal label that says Angel Hair from the 60s
    I know it won`t be enought for what you want but you can have it for display or even
    to try to find out who made it...............Endsville Franco F,B,B,F................

25. Dennis,

Call Big Rich in Colorado Springs, he just used it at the last Fresno show around his Green Caddy. Even Blackie liked it. Rich had lots of it and had bought it locally.

Johnnie.

26. McPhail

McPhail

Myers and I have a 20x40 display at the Wichita Starbird show in January...... we're gonna show my 56 and his Caddilac together. we're going to try to have our version of a kinda period correct show display........but the doors and hoods will be closed and if we get enough, the angel hair will be all up over the tires........if we wanted trophies, we'd buy some..........thanks for all the help fellers........ I'm kinda worried about finding some though, if MORIARTY can't find it, it pretty much ain't out there.........

27. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I checked with the huge craft wholesale company near me that imports anything from anywhere and they can't even find it. They said they would call me if they ever came up with anything though.

I think it is another oldie but goodie gone forever! :(

28. fatluckys

fatluckys

Dude- me and Carlos found a supplier in Ark City...

[​IMG]

29. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Anyone check with fiber glass supply houses? It is after all fiber glass stranding or roping pulled apart.I don't know for certain but I bet that the fiber glass roping used to feed chopper guns could be shredded into Angel hair.Also like was said earlier Try petshop/aquarium stores for bulk filter material.My sister managed a pet shop for a few years and they used to get it in big bags like 30 gallon trash bags