Register now to get rid of these ads!

where does it go on a '32 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutter_street_rodder, Oct 23, 2012.

1. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

Am considering putting running boards on my '32 after running fenderless for years.... I see where the long braces go under the running boards, but where do the other braces go (i.e Vintiques B-16485-S)? They say frame to boards, any pictures? And are pickup boards the same as passenger car?

2. Andy

Andy

There are some braces that go in the frame to help the boards. They attach to the boards, bottom of the frame and also the top of the frame and the body cross channels. That is all there is! There are two versions. 3W,Vicky and B-400, and everything else.

3. A 33-34 pickup has long braces going from under the boards and bolts past the frame rails. Are you sure you are looking at the right running board braces? My 32 never had any "long" ones.

4. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

I guess I need a picture!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just type that part number into a Google search. Bob :)

6. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

I know what the "Vintique" parts look like, but am wondering about the mounting.
    All the running board pics I see online have a thin pair of support brackets from about the end of the flat area of the boards inward to just past the (inner) board edge. Am I understanding correctly that the "Vintique" brackets go inside the frame rails pointing inward? Then the end of the thin support brackets bolt onto the "Vintique" brackets just inside of the framerails? In a sense, the "Vintique" brackets are just a frame widener to prevent sagging? With ladder bars, boxed frame, exhaust, etc maybe it's best to remain fenderless! I just keep thinking of having 8 fenders laying around.....[​IMG]

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The "long" braces are part of the running board. The short braces bolt on inside the frame between the upper frame rail flange and the lower frame rail flange where the running board braces cross under the frame. Basically it just ties the upper rail flange to the lower flange so that they don't bend when big Big Bertha steps on the running board when she gets in. The bolts go through both parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BAAD32

BAAD32

I'm not running them and is plenty solid.

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The little brackets will not fit in a boxed frame.
    Most folks just weld in nuts inside the lower part of the frame where Henry had bolts ... and that is strong enough.

[​IMG]

10. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

On a boxed frame i make brackets out of square tubing cut at a diagonal and weld them on where the long braces hang over.

11. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

thanks guys! When you didn't take it apart it is sometimes hard to figure how Henry did it.