Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Where Do Your Car's Sell the Fastest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54hotrodder, Sep 17, 2015.

1. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

So I have been trying to sell my 51 mercury for a few months now and no bites. I have it on ebay, craigs, and here. Any good advice on to where i could post it to get it gone asap?

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would stick all the sheetmetal on it, roll that sucker outside and take some more pics. Looks like too much of a project with the sheetmetal piled on it. Also, the straight post chop might not be for everybody.

Looks like a pretty nice car, even more so at 4700. 7K was a little strong.

Good luck, -Abone.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sold my 51 merc here on the hamb. It was a nice roller and I got north of 7k. Just have to have the right guy at the right time. It took awhile but it worked here on the hamb.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A friend of mine owned a trophy shop next to a used car lot. Whenever they had a car that wouldn't sell they would come in and have a dash plaque made that said "Once owned by Willie Mays", "First car to cross the Golden Gate Bridge" or some other total BS.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just sold one after listing on eBay but not sold through eBay. Make sure your listing states the car is listed for sale locally and the listing can be cancelled at any time. eBay gets lots of exposure and the listing is free. Also had the car listed on the HAMB Classifieds where it had lots of lookers but no takers.

Gary

6. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

IMG_0550.jpg I listed it high as always just to see if there is any bites on it.

7. Bolt it all together and roll it outside and take better photos,granted it's a project but you want it to look as good as possible.

As far as selling cars I have had my best luck sell cars here on the hamb,you just have to be patient. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it can take months to find a buyer for a running driving car - there is no magic to finding a buyer - buyer/seller have to be in the right place at the right time. I finally sold a chopped '51 Ford project to someone out of state after seeing an old out of date ad I had on craigslist

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. I have more luck on eBay than anywhere else. But it's been a while since I pushed a car on there.

10. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

11. yruhot

yruhot

pictures,pictures pictures, my experience is pictures help sell. especially on the net. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. And if it runs maybe a video of you driving with a big smile on your face.

12. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

The hamb, ebay, craigslist, your driveway. Take lots of pictures and make sure its all together.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

eBay or here selling a chopped car project is always going to get people wondering why you stopped. Will the glass fit, how are the welds, but like all car sales your location and cost of shipping it to the buyers location are things that have to be considered. Bob

metlmunchr likes this.
  14. pitman

pitman

Actually got 10x the calls-inquiries from a Hemmings ad. And an eventual buyer.

15. oldolds

oldolds

You have ok pics in your ad. You should bolt it together. Shoot a coat of primer on it. As much as we say we would like to see what is there, a single color sells. Also a car that has to get pushed around the shop is a hard sell. Any motor in it that runs and moves the car is a plus, even if it is just enough to do that.

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'd make a post about it in the general discussion area to get more views....

low budget and 49ratfink like this.
  17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to connect with your inner zen. You have to truly feel as if you could care less if it sells or not. You have to want it, love it, brag about it. "Man you should see what this girl can do to a popsicle..." if you get my meaning:cool:

54hotrodder likes this.
  18. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I listed it high as always just to see if there is any bites on it.[/QUOTE]
    You see I just don't agree with this method. If I see a car that is overpriced I don't even inquire about it. No use wasting my time if its not in my price range. Also Cars are like houses ,the first few days on the market are the best. When your car has been for sale for months on every site people tend to think there must be some thing wrong why its not selling. And I agree with the pictures ,you can never have to many.Best of luck

19. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

The 1st thing I see in the photo is the chop is not finished on that passenger side door. Things like that are a turn off to me because I know I am going to have someone that is experienced fix it. That may be why you are having trouble selling it. A lot of people will buy a project that is apart it they know all the parts are there. But only a select few want to tackle someone else's project after they have cut it up and didn't finish what they started. You need to be willing to take a loss because people don't want to pay you for all the time and money you may have paid to get this far; and not finish it. Just saying. Ebay HAMB and C.L. would be my choices to sell on. Good luck.

metlmunchr and Hnstray like this.
  20. Present it well. I see more cars, all piled with junk, rusted out floors and boxes of stuff on the roof. It may be a good car, but at that point as a buyer, I'm done with it. I also see more cars with something painted a bizarre color on it, bird-shit green, yellow, pastel colored rears, dashboards and so on.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  21. LOL anything that I own usually sells the fastest in the driveway when I don't want to sell it. Without fail some dumbass will roll up and want to buy it even when I say its not for sale. :rolleyes:

shawnsauto1 likes this.
  22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Forget about trying to sell it, you are going to lose way to much money. Yes Sir, the best bet for you, is to trade it for a "turn key", drive anywhere, anytime, 40,000 mile, Corvette yellow, 95% frame off restored, new everything, short bed, 1975 IH pickup. Yes, that is the ticket. Let me know, and I will drive it right over.

Attached Files:

23. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Sorry, I just could not resist. You think selling a 51 Merc is hard, try an 75 International Pickup--HA HA
    Come on, it's FRIDAY

24. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Anytime I need to sell something quick, I resort to the old reliable Guerrilla Marketing method. Take a few really good pictures of it (in your case, completely assembled), write a description that sells the hell out of all of the positive points of the car along with your best price, put the pictures and the description together on a sales flyer. Make a ton of copies, and post them on anything that isn't moving too fast. You would be surprised where you will find the people interested in what you're selling. Most of the time I've got a few really good bites before I've put up half of the flyers. Just make them standout. I usually get some colored construction paper a little bigger than normal copy paper (it comes in a pad of like 100 sheets), then tape or glue the white paper flyer copies on the colored paper. The contrast of colored and white paper will naturally catch your eye a lot faster than a white piece of paper on a board with 100 other pieces of white or colored paper. Print on colored paper is hard to read. It takes some work to put these together, but the better you make it look the quicker it will sell.

25. Those old IHes sure didn't change much between about '68 and '75. I had a '68 and a '73 and they looked about the same from a distance as your old heap.

Project cars are hard to sell and these days most things are not selling well. I had my running Willys pickup for sale for over a year here and other places. I finally found a car that I wanted and traded for it.

26. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Capitalism 101. The price is too high for the heaping pile that appears in the pictures. Whether it is a pile or not is irrelevant. It looks like one in the pics, and it is hard to justify the asking price (even for a '51 Merc) for a pile of unassembled rusty steel.

Like others have said, clean it up, primer it, fix the rust and chop issues, and it will be much more likely to sell.

I look at that and see $20,000 worth of paint body work to get it to a level I would be happy with. If I am going to spend that much on body work I would much rather start with a $1K or $2K car then a $7K car.

27. I sold my 1964 buick lesbra station wagon on here.Bruce.

28. I looked over your posts.
    Now you know why your buddy traded it to you. It's going to be an eyesore and you'll loose money. Either that or you'll finish it and have a nice car.

Few ways to get it sold and gone.
    Get it a little further along.
    Which costs you money
    Drop the price.
    Which costs you money.

What's cut up vintage tin worth?
    Of its cut up is still it a 51 merc or is it some just sheet metal.

29. Good point then add to that the fact that buying and selling is economy driven or at least liquid assets driven. I may for example look at a pile of parts and see value but value has no bearing on what my wallet/bank account will support.

30. So that's where the low ball offers come from ? Suffering, weak and sickly wallets.

I just had a email low ball offer from a guy from CL ad for $500 car.

Went like this:

Him:
    Will ya take $300.00

Me:
    Please tell me - Why should I accept a $300 offer from you? The offer is anonymous, its with out inspection, its a lowball offer without any merit to it.
    If I had listed it for $800 would you have then offered me the $500 its worth? Or should I list it at $1000 in order to get the 500 its worth? Then if that's the case how is there to be any honesty in any transaction?
    Then the reason I should accept a low offer is because I didn't ask too much in the first place. Of this, I am at fault- I didn't start with an intent to be dishonest.

The CL thing really invites some weird things right to your doorstep. Fielding this crap from a dozen ads or so makes me kinda jaded I guess.

i.rant likes this.