Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Where do I start, need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ace-k, Dec 18, 2008.

1. My son and I would like to start a 29 - 31 traditional Ford rod project. I've restored a few muscle cars, but this will be my first true "hot rod". I would like any advice I can get. Is it best to start fresh with a complete original car, or find a shell with a title? Is it best to find someone's half finished project? I have about 5K to get started. And I would like to keep the total price of the completed hot rod under 20K. I want to stick with original Ford steel. Any and all advice is appreciated

2. Spend $20 for the Bishop,Tardell book HOW TO BUILD A TRADITIONAL FORD HOTROD

3. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

buy a body and build a frame.

4. Also Berts Model A parts in Denver is a good resource. Steve might even know of a project.

5. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Ace, I'm not a 20's and 30's man, sorry, but I can tell ya that with the right haggling and hunting, you can keep the price down much farther than 20K. And add Tman to your friends list as you will be messaging him alot (you're welcome Tman..lol). Just from posts I've seen from him, he's no dummy. As well as TudorJeff, he's got a killer Model A.

And have fun! Doin stuff with my son is the best thing in the world.

6. Well, any of your ideas would work, depending on circumstances. A shelved project for the right price might be a good deal, providing there isn't a whole lot of work/parts you hate:rolleyes: Finding a complete car and keeping the total price at your limit might be tough.

7. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

If you don't have a stock pile of parts to choose from, you may want to look into someone elses started & abandoned project. Typically (and if purchased correctly) you end up paying less than the seller did when he bought all the parts. However, the workmanship that was performed by the original owner may not be up to your specs so things may need to be redone. BUT... if you have never built a rod from start to finish before the fabrication that has been done may be better than what you would've done. Also, if you do take on a project in that manner, make sure that the main parts of WHAT YOU WANT are there. Small items can be changed easier than a body or a frame.

I know I was no help at all, but all are good points to consider BEFORE making an impulse buy.

8. Awe shucks:eek:

I am getting rolling on my 28 Tudor so once I get my photobucket/Imac working again I will start posting the progress pics. Feel free to steal ideas.....I did;)

9. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

You are getting some good advice (not including the part from Fish Tank about my junky car :) ). There are lots of ways to go about it. One thing you can do for free is to join the Model A social group.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=17

And I also think it's great that you are doing it with your son.

And T-man is dreamy ;)

-Jeff

10. If you dig, 5K will get you an older running home-resto Model A. I helped sell a couple chassis off A's like this for 2K,running. Guys kept the rest to build their hotrods.

11. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

Kirk has a book about it also, but I'm not sure if he has it finished yet or not...

12. 2-TONED

2-TONED

depends on what style or type of car you are going for.
    i like a 'complete car' to start with as i like all the brackets, braces, hardware, clips, trim, etc... etc... although i like windows to roll up/down, doors to latch & lock, fenders, hood, runnin boards, etc..............
    a friend of mine bought a shell & spends more time on the phone, computer, or driving around chasing around little things he needs & he has just now come to the conclusion that its all adding up to "ALOT more money than a decent complete car would of cost.

13. Ralph

Ralph

Get to know Eric, "Vaphead" here on the HAMB, at http://www.riley-auto.com/ on the northeast side of Denver. He's an Alliance vendor of stuff you'll need, a decent guy, and might know of a project car to get you started.
    Ralph
    PS: Hi Eric!

14. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

Before I started my build I spent hours upon hours here on The Hamb scouring info and collecting pictures of cars I liked. It helped me develop a vision and direction for what I wanted to build. In the end it made it easier to build and find the exact parts I needed.

I like to start with an unfinished project that you can crawl underneath of and inspect before you buy. Craigslist is where you can find some good scores right now as well as right here in the HAMB classies.

Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  15. Erickson

Erickson

alot of the caust of the boddy realy depends on what you wat to build, if its a roadster then your go have to pay more that say a sedan or a coupe.

i think i know where there is an original compleet 29 sedan project for sale in thorton Co, im not shure how much he wanted for it or if its even still there but ile drive by and look. on my way home from work.

16. Thanks for the great advice, keep it coming. I pretty much know what I want. My plan has always been to get a good original body. Buy a new frame and go from there. But if buying an original will save in the long run maybe that's a good way to go. I'm constantly looking for a good near complete running rod but most are either way overpriced (for me) or are more resto rod than hot rod.

17. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

start on the hamb. then start with a frame, put the body on, mock everything up, take the body off, fabricate, then do the body

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If you are going to do all of the work yourself, you can buy a running model A sedan for somewhere around 13, that 5 that you have would get you a fairly complete derelict. Chances are derelict or running, the chassis components will be just as good, if complete. Of course all components need to be dissassy'd cleaned up, measured and repaired, new brake shoes, wheel bearing seals, perch bushings, etc. Get a car with a title up front, as the platform for your build. The spring work, crossmember work, boxing the frame, split the bones, Z frame in back, all of that there is unlimited information on how to do that, tex smith book for one. Part out the fenders and other stuff you don't use on ebay, Keep the original drivetrain/brakes/steering. By the time you've got the chassis ready you will most likely have ditched the body because a coupe/roadster body came along dirt cheap.(hit the swapmeets for the next two years whilst doing the chassis, buy the parts before the re-salers buy them) That exercise in itself would be a great education for your kid. Don't listen to people that say the mechanical brakes can't be made to work good, they're either ignorant of the facts or just plain prejudiced. If you don't want a banger for a motor, part that out too, but why?, if you really want a 'traditional'.

19. Better to buy a complete, solid driveable car similar to what you want, then do what you want to it. I agree that looking for some of the missing parts isn't worth it. There will still be a lot for you and your son to do to give it the look you want. If you find one for 10-12K it will have things that it needs.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'd like to build an A sedan. Body shells can be had for around a thousand ( I remember giving one away I didn't want, NO RUST!) and I'd build the frame from rectangular tubing. An old Chev pickup of van can be had for less than a grand for the engine/trans, and I have the front axle/radius rods from my '36. An S-10 rear is 40 bucks at the pick your part yard, so whats that, about 2500 bucks all in, plus a battery, brake lines and a drive shaft. I think I just talked myself into another project...

21. I guess by "traditional" I mean what was built in the 50's - early 60's.

http://www.ratfink.org/rfparty2k3/entryimages/303.jpg

Some of the work I will have to have done. So finding the in state connections helps. :)

My son is 11 and he's really into the project also. He spends most evenings looking for a car.

Thanks again

22. Greasy64

Greasy64

Be real honest with yourself. Only you know your budget (time as well as money,) level of skill, space (live in a Condo?) And what wou want to do with the car when it comes home.
    We've all seen guys buy a car/project they love and get disappointed because it wasn't what they wanted after they've had it for a while.
    Buyers remorse sucks.
    If you have limitations, Try real hard to avoid a project that relies heavily on them.

I wish you well on your project. That is awesome that your son is so into it.

23. Thanks,
    I'm lucky enough to own a home with a large work shop attached to the garage. I've had many cars and restored a 66 vette, 67 gto and a 69 chevelle. But they were mostly disassemble, paint or replace, and reassembly. This will me my first heavy fabrication.

24. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

if you cant find something in colorado there is always abandoned projects in salt lake for sale first get a plan and then follow it

25. And there are a couple places up here in South Dakota worth a look. I am 6 hours North of Denver.

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I once heard, "All other things being equal, every extra dollar you spend up front on a better car will save you ten on the overall project".:rolleyes:

27. skidsteer

skidsteer

for some inspiration, check out the onging build of a '30 roadster on '32 frame by Homemadehardtop57.

28. Toqwik

Toqwik

29. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Honestly, for a father-son deal I'd avoid fabrication. Stick to the path you already know for this one. Bolt together a car and make it purty along the way.

Once deep fabrication gets involved the whole time commitment and life balance can become a lot for a kid and they become father-projects, or never finished pipe dreams, or worse yet a rift generated by un-matched expectations.

If it's truly half the kid's project, you gotta realize half the team has no skills. You gotta unchallenge yourself to bring the overall challenge down to a realistic level.

Let the college-age car involve deep fabrication.

good luck

30. The project will me more me doing, and him watching, and him doing what he can. I just want him to learn the basics, and have fun hanging out together.

I'll keep looking for the right car and go from there.