Register now to get rid of these ads!

When You're Taking Pictures, Don't Do This...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by monsterflake, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

I still have that 45.. ;) One of my favorites.. :D

2. BCR

BCR

Well, I was gonna take my camera to GG this weekend but on second thought.

3. I'm not crazy about some pics but you know what I do... I skip over them... Why waste time looking at stuff that makes you unhappy?

4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

What about when theres only 3/4 of a car? Or someone standing right in front of it? Agreed. Take a step back.

5. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Good grief I guess now we have the angle picture police? I'll agree some pics have too much angle but the way I see it if you don't like it don't look at them.

6. Surfrider has a primary, valid point. My objection in the past (I really don't care anymore) is that I've seen countless photos of great cars that I've never seen shot straight on in any other coverage. The only pics I've seen of some of those cars, were the ones cranked over sideways and hard, if not impossible to view. Because of that, I missed those cars. It's not a big thing...there's been some good tips offered here, some will take advantage, some don't like critcism of any kind, and some just like to whine about either side. I'm not the standard, but I know what I like, like the rest of you. To each their own, but curiously, I've never read one complaint here about clear, complete, straight up, 3/4 front, Rear or Side shots that show the whole car. I think that says something.....

7. Brahm

Brahm

zZzZz. Hot Rods are art, down to the smallest detail. Functional art, but art none the less. As somebody who gets paid from time to time take photos. I will say there is nothing I enjoy shooting more then the tiniest details of a persons project that give a car it's character, or shooting from a perspective you might not see unless you are willing to get down on the ground or take the time to really examine what you are shooting.

If you shoot them all from the same angle/view they all blend in after a while, car show after car show..It all becomes a blur. It's the details that are interesting and keep me coming back for more.

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

9. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

From an "Commercial artist" point of view, the bottem right corner would be a great place for advertisement, or mabe a H.A.M.B. plaque. or event information for a show poster. Very nice pic by the way, the subject matter is awesome.

10. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

5 pages and only one right answer.

11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Check out this definition of the Dutch or German angle:

"A Dutch tilt is a camera shot in which the camera angle is deliberately slanted to one side. This can be used for dramatic effect and helps portray unease, disorientation, frantic or desperate action, intoxication, madness,etc.":)

Taken from here:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/shots/dutch-tilt.html

12. I try to keep a simple format...
    Front
    Side
    3/4 shot
    rear
    interior
    engine
    details
    chick(if possible,haha)
    I leave the fancy stuff for the "Pros". I look at it as if you were there walking the show. Would you walk up to a car and tilt your head? Probably not...That's why I don't shoot those 45deg shots.
    But then...the ZOOM can be your friend,hahaha!

13. Brahm

Brahm

Oh come on don't be modest.
    What you really meant to say is.. (see updated above) ;)

14. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda
    from Virginia

I agree. I'm fairly new here, and it was the very cool thread "Vintage shots of days gone by" that attracted me to this forum. I like 1930's through 1960's cars, so I thought I found a good home here. But it seems like theres a large number of members who are unflexible and critical. Oh, its okay to post old cigarette magazine ads that have nothing to do with cars, but don't dare post anything about a car thats two or three years beyond the acceptable cut off date (never understood how a 1964 model could be so acceptable, while the mere mention of a 1967 car could bring such wrath).
    Now you can't even post pictures without someone picking it apart. But, if you don't post pictures, as I've witnessed here, you're just as likely to be attacked and accused of lying about seeing some barn find treasure cause you don't have proof. It seems most every thread I look at has someone going off about something. I pity the poor soul who starts a thread without first doing a search to see if it was already discussed. Apparently there are people here who don't even like seeing new people bring up old topics.
    I appreciate any and all pictures posted, especially since it gives me the opportunity to see cars I would never be able to see in person. But, I'm a member of several other automotive forums that are a little more forgiving. So I think I'm done here ( and I never even posted one of the offending angled photos).

15. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Guilty on all accounts! Please request all further posts with pics be deleted and for those of you who purchased last years Hamb calendar please rip my contribution out too as it is too artsy!!! Lol!!!

16. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

I always wonder what photos that Bad Bob has, that doesn't get posted..

17. The Big M

The Big M

There are those who take a photojournalistic approach when attending a show. Their goal is to capture the event and document the cars as one would experience them in person. That's cool, and lots of folks put in a lot of effort to document shows for the rest of us. I can appreciate that.

However, most every show I've been to has rows of cars packed in tight, distracting backgrounds, and swarms of people. That doesn't make it easy to isolate a particular car. So, I choose to zoom in on the details of the cars, mostly because I find them interesting, and take tightly cropped shots from different angles, where the car is the main subject. Once in a while I'll use a wide angle or a 10 to 15 degree tilt (I do agree that 45 degress is entirely too much). Apparently my photos would offend some on here! ;)

There are usually plenty of people taking a basic 3/4 view of every car. And while it's nice to see those, even that can get tiresome after a while. I choose to shoot the cars with my own style, but there's room for both approaches. Photography can be journalism OR art, and sometimes it can even be both. That's what's great about it!

18. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey Mr. Monster, I shot those Pictures, The Way Tha' CAMERA Came outta' the BOX ! Nobodey told ME Different................
    You Don't Have Much To Do ,........DO YOU ??

19. Brahm

Brahm

20. bryan6902

bryan6902

Agree to an extent.... I've spent time elsewhere and I would much rather have on-topic discussions, photos, information, etc.. Thats what keeps it good! Found something AWESOME!!! You're just another guy talking about it without good pictures.... Proof is in the pictures! I do not care if someone asks the same question over and over, it only takes a little criticism before you figure out the search function. I have a bigger issue with old threads brought back from the dead or people who post useless information.

Angle photos get to be a bit much, which is the point of this thread. If you're good at taking pictures don't talk about it, show us!

I also enjoy looking at pictures that people post of cars from faraway shows that I'll never go to. But I also enjoy it when they aren't difficult to view, off topic or just bad pictures.

If you're so offended/hurt by what people say online, in a forum full of opinions, maybe you should head back to the 'other' forums!

21. To anybody who's bought a camera and maybe even took the time to read the manual. Then bought a tankful of gas and drove maybe an hour or more away to attend a car show. And bought some overpriced food and beverages while at the event. Then spent a good part of their day taking pictures of the cars and people at the event.

Drove back home and downloaded all the pictures they took. Maybe spent a little time sorting and editing their shots and resizing them and uploading them to a hosting site. Copied and pasted links to the forum here, so I can check out some cars that I wouldn't be able to go see for myself.

THANK YOU!

Post 'em crooked or post 'em straight.

THANK YOU!

Post some straight on side views and take some up-close wide angle shots.

THANK YOU!

Shoot 'em from eye level and take some shots from ground level.

THANK YOU!

Post them straight out of the camera, or post them artsy-fartsy.

THANK YOU!

If they start giving me a headache then I'll just scroll past them.

THANK YOU!

But in keeping with the spirit of the thread, what DON'T I like seeing posted here? Hmmm... I know! Pictures that are 3000 pixels wide that make you scroll the page from side to side. That kind of bugs me, man!

Other than that, keep on posting. And, THANK YOU! :D

22. monsterflake

monsterflake

i seriously doubt that.

all you cry babies that don't understand what the original point was, or who are confused about what the hamb is, probably won't ever figure it out. go back to your parking lot cruises and complain about the elitist snob(s) that you got in an internet argument with. you won, congratulations.

(p.s. bad bob is awesome!)

23. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Just stirrin' the pot...;)

Attached Files:

24. "...lighten up Frances" Signed,Sgt.Hulka

25. I have no choice but to do just that at some car shows. They sometimes park their cars too close and can't take a 'neat' photo without a part of another car sneaking in. Other than that, I DO prefer to keep mine level as possible as well. It keeps my head from spinning!

26. RichG

RichG