Register now to get rid of these ads!

When your drunk neighbors invite you for a beer...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Juztyn00, Dec 10, 2008.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

"Sometimes good things come to those who wait". Sounds like your going to be a living example. However........................another saying is: "Dont' count your chickens before they hatch". Time enough to celebrate after the title is in your name. GOOD LUCK!!!

Remember, this thing belonged to his grandfather who bought it new. Just hope seller's remorse doesn't set in before he signs the title.

Frank

2. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

3. That licn plate is from greatfalls,mt Cascade county to be exact.

4. PoPo

PoPo

great Midwest car!!! good job man.

5. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

If you really want a jeep again, you can have mine and I'll take that dirty old car off your hands :D

6. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Thats cool, great find!

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Real fun read,great job:cool::D

8. 2Hep

2Hep

Ten years ago when I moved to Detroit from NY, I found an Old Black '51 Merc in some guys backyard down in the city, been there since the 60's, covered and surrounded by lawn mower parts etc. Went down once a week for 8 months until he sold it to me for $500. I guess the squeeky wheel does get the oil. Good luck and I hope it works out.
    Side note: every week I cleaned his back yard and moved junk around and he would say, "nope, can't sell you that car junior, as its a man's car and you jus' a boy." Then I'd leave and show back up a the following week and clean some more....Got it on a cold Feb. day around my birthday... he said "well boy, I'll give ya a half hour to get er out of here and off you go or there's no deal" HAlf hour tuned into 3 and got dark quick. 'After I got it running (month or so later), body and frame were rough from years of sitting, the block wasn't seized up but it did smoke, I took it down to the old man but he had died and his house was empty.

9. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats ,Great Score. and its " Barn Fresh" !

10. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

11. johnboy13

johnboy13

Yeah, I don't even know you and I'm happy for you, that's so awesome!

12. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

Well the cylinders are soaking in diesel to see if i can get her freed up... BUT if anyone has an old flathead siting around in buildable condition I might be interested.. My 54 Chev is feeling a little ousted being kicked out of my 1 car garage... might have to go drive her around a bit to make her feel better.

13. theoneyouhate

theoneyouhate
    from Atlanta

Lucky man Lucky. well thats a great find good luck with your build

14. Montyc50

Montyc50

So what are you thinking of doing with it man? You pretty much have an empty canvas now. You are one luck SOB. Not a lot of oppertunities come up like that. Congrats.

15. pigwilliams

pigwilliams

Did you build a new barn or buy the neighbor some cheap beer for the car's?

16. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Maybe it wasn't beer:eek:

17. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

I took Dickie Joe for a ride in the 54 to the DMV today. The car is now mine legally:D. He said he knows I came out on the good end of the deal but he knows its going to a good home.

I got the head and the pan off... The old banger is stuck hard. I've been soaking it in PB blaster, Marvel, and diesel but it's refusing to budge. I found some miscellaneous parts in the pan. looks to be parts of a valve spring and a 2 inch metal peice with 2 holes? Not sure where it went. Probably a full tear down in the future.

18. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Cool story man, thanks. There is hope for us all.

19. cJared3b

cJared3b

Nice score! Any word on the 56? did they extract it yet?

20. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

He said his son wants the 57, Its still in the leaning garage. We got lucky pulling the A out as we didn't have to jack on or move the garage but the 57 is on the low side and the garage will likely have to be taken down around it to get it out. I already have more cars than I can afford so I'll let the next guy try to talk him out of that one.

21. cJared3b

cJared3b

You should be there to snap photos of it when they do pull it out.

22. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

Well it was a success and failure night.... Good news; the engine is now spinning freely, Bad news; in the process I managed to break 2 pistons and the crank pulley (Already had a chunk taken out of the pulley previously so it needed to go anyway). Apparently either these are delicate little engines.

If you have spare parts send me a pm!:cool:

23. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

probially too late to tell ya but i use a mixture of brake fluid, kerosine, marvell mystery oil, acitone. mix all four in equil amounts. an old timer who used to restore old tractors told me this. it does work well.

24. Awesome find. I kind of have the same situation here. I've made mulitple finds, but all the old owners won't let go. In the last 3 months, I've spotted a '37 Chevy 4 door, '54 Ford car(MINT) with a v8, and a '36 Ford coupe perfect black with 40 years of dust. Just gonna keep askin I guess haha Someday they will break down.

25. Juztyn00

Juztyn00

I had it soaking in Marvel, Diesel, ATF and PB for a week and it didn't budge, Even warmed the cyl up a little with a rosebud (not to much) and I still broke them. The good news is you can buy 4 brand new pistons for a 29 model A for 31.99 from Advanced Auto Parts. I'm waiting on a set of rings to start puttin her back together.

26. That sounds off on the price a bit. You get what you pay for. Bangers are not cheap at all, especially when you warm them up with speed parts.-Weeks

27. 52style

52style

im pretty sure those el caminos you speak of are now on the austin craicslist just seen them on there the other day

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1220303818.html

28. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

that car sure cleaned up good. what are your plans for it

29. FRENCHBLUE72

FRENCHBLUE72

Congrats great score...

30. VonKool13

VonKool13

Really glad you got it!!! I was pretty damn skeptical, I thought there was going to be a crusher in the future for that A. I always love when people up in their 70's+ claim they will restore all their vintage tin. It usually never happens. Gonna make a bitch'n lil' hot rod!