Register now to get rid of these ads!

When We Were Young

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J. Fitzhugh, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Mr Wizard

Mr Wizard
    from Linthicum

Here is some of Mr Jays early photog work. This was taken right after the '76 Timonium Nats. I am thrashing to get my newly purchased roadster in shape to go to Tulsa that summer. I didn't make it. The car was a death trap and I found out a little too late it wasn't a very good buy. In fact the car wasn't driven again for eleven years with the only remaining parts of the original car being the body, windshield and wheels. Everything else was scrapped and started over.
    The hat was new and clean then.

Attached Files:

2. Mr Wizard

Mr Wizard
    from Linthicum

And yet even more Timonium. I can smell the bullroast cookin' now.

Attached Files:

3. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Mr. Wiz,

Thanks for adding the shots. Check out the mail-slot rear window in the 2 door sedan shot. This was Rich Venza's Essex, and the rear window was narrowed to give the appearance of it being chopped! I just remember the Essex having really great trim, like door handles and other interior pieces. Rich, where is this car now?

OL55 As I recall, the '32 3W was not only the first pro-street that I had seen, but is was also a the first '32 glass bodied coupe I had seen. Check out the painted on top insert.

Cool

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

check out the awesome girl behind the guy bent over looking at the motor ! short shorts ! those were the days !!! ............................. steve

5. Brandi

Brandi

Right on! I love this post.

I can't believe all the great car games. We'll definitely be putting those back on the scene this summer at our event.

6. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Here are two added shots of '32s from Timonium. Both made a profound impression. I am unsure who owned red and black '32. The baby-blue 3w ran with Mark Comforth, whose roadeter is partially seen. The coupe ran a 21 stud flatty with Evan heads and an angle Vertex.

The other coupe I remember was Billy Armstrong's. I was in lust for that car!

Jay

Attached Files:

7. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Steve,

You had to love hip huggers and Dasey Dukes!!!!

Jay

8. Behind the 3w, Willys material. One down, one up. One vet.
    I've been to one NSRA meet in SfieldMO. The lawnchairs and portable carports get more of a test than the ?hotrods? that show up.
    J. Fitz, thank you. Rich Venza, thank you.

9. I'm going to dig out some photos this weekend, but as one of the guys answering questions all weekend, I didn't get many.

The '31 Essex went with me to Nebraska when I went to work for Speedy Bill. It was traded for a '54 Ford Sedan Delivery and a chopped Chevy long bed pickup. Last I heard it was in Arizona. This photo was taken at the Mid-West Mini Nats that I was lucky enough to get started in Lincoln. It was later moved to Springfield, IL, and is still going strong.

Attached Files:

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was a good read, it sounds like the ASRF Hot Rod Nationals over here are still a lot like the US ones used to be. Too bat there only every second year.
    Doc.

11. Jay Great read. We were there making it happen. Young? I think I remember that.

12. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Will Thanks. We were all there and it was a blast.

Thanks for putting on another great Pie Run. The story on Doug is coming up next.

Jay

13. I found some more pic's from Timonium nats east..........

Sunkist and Moonkist T buckets.....
    [​IMG]
    My favorite 32 5 window from the time.......
    [​IMG]
    The Super Coupe........
    [​IMG]
    Cruising the hotels at night was a fun part of the event. Here's the Super Bell coupe at one of the hotels.........
    [​IMG]
    The California Kid when it still belonged to Pete........
    [​IMG]
    and Jake's coupe...........
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  14. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

OL55,
    Great shots. The 5w was from NJ and had I believe a Boss 351!

The Malco Super Coupe was hand built by Dave Anderson and was stunning as it was a full tilt body. I had heard it was wrecked, but did anythhing survive? Anybody know where the remnants of the Malco Super Coupe may lie?

Jay

15. Mr Wizard

Mr Wizard
    from Linthicum

OK here is the rest of the pix I could find. There are a couple more but they are too blurry. I'm sure it was the cheap old Instamatic cameras fault and had nothing to do with massive beer intake of the picture taker!

Attached Files:

16. I've still got my Weekend Warrior's card signed by Lance.

17. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Just back from Ritz Camera and enclosed are three shots that have never before been developed. You can see the heavy T-Bucket influence, as was the case in 1975-1978ish.

The trailer obsticle course as seen from a high vantage was a crowd pleaser, as there were always mishaps. As I remember, you ran the course with the trailer, backed it up, unhooked it, ran the course again, then backed up and re-hooked, and then exited. All with a stop-watch going.

The rod joust shot dynamically shows the at-speed action. As I recall, since I was a member of the host club putting on the event, I was actually on the course and the car zoomed by me.

Jay

Attached Files:

18. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Made it to the last Timonium Nats East in '80 and had a great time. Most of the Nats East since. In Timonium we went to Spittel's Restaurant (basement) and had crabs for the first time ever, quite an experience. I have pictures of most of the cars already shown, one of my favorites has always been the flamed '32 5 window with the Cleveland. Good times!

19. Jay, here's a few more pic's I found. This nice Chevy coupe was well done for its time...
    [​IMG]
    this deuce 3 window too......
    [​IMG]
    this pic is my 40 (it was pretty homely back then, I was still trying to get it right - still am) and my buddy's 38 Plymouth tudor taking a break from cruising the less than crowded fairgrounds...Gotta love those short shorts..........
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  20. It took a few days to find this, but it should bring back some wild memories of just how young and innocent we all were in the Capitol Street Rods.
    Steve Coonan is the baby faced, long hair kid in the middle, Dave & Ruth Anderson are to his left, and I'm hiding on the far right of back row, just above the fellow, Tommy Tylee, with the long side burns.
    Double click for the really scary enlargement.

Attached Files:

21. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Looks like Dave Stegman standing on the left. He is currently in the Ram Rods club. Mike

22. Yes, that's Dave. He has been a Ram Rod since God created dirt. He's still playing with one of my Fiat altered bodies and a blown Hemi.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This was before I joined Capitol, but I recognize most of them and most of them are still into cars. Some more than others.

24. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

That's what I heard. I was really surprised he sold the Willys. Seems like he's had that forever too.
    I think my buddy Jeff Young was in the Capitol Street Rods around that time. I didn't know him then so don't know what he looked like back then. Is he in the pic? Was Harry Lehman in the club, by any chance? Thanks, Mike

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Back then we had a big thing about actually driving your hot rod. The whole point of the club was to participate. We worked our ass off to put on Timonium. The big benefit was that the money that we made putting it on came back to the club members. All we had to do is turn in our rod run registration and the motel bills for the same weekend and we were reimbursed. A pretty nice benefit. It got me off of my ass with the perennial garage project into a driving hot rod.

26. Good point Tommy. The members from the first Timonium all got NSRA life memberships for their efforts. The gift that keeps on giving every month.

27. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Speaking of the old days at Timonium, Maryland.......here's a few pics of me with Pete & Jake and their famous coupes........I believe this was 1978.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like a century ago......wait a minute........it was!

CB

28. Who is that curly haired stud?

29. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

WOW those are some cool pics Brucie!!!

30. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

This is great! Dig out all of those old Timonium Nats East shots!!!

Jay