Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods When to change flathead studs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inked Monkey, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'm new to flatheads so forgive my ignorance. I just picked up a running 46-47 flattie from a friend. I went ahead and popped the intake and head off to check things out. It looks super clean inside besides a couple stuck valves. I plan on just cleaning it up and throwing some new gaskets at it. Somebody switched out a few head studs for bolts for some reason so I'll replace them. My question is, should I switch them all out? I can't really see the need to. All the nuts came off easy if that makes a difference.

2. If you ever want to run Alum Heads like Edelbrock,Offy,it is neceaasry to use the longer studs.

3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Whatever you do, don't run a tap in the holes to clean the threads. The factory threads are a tight tolerance and running a common hardware tap in them will make them sloppy. Grind a couple of lateral slots in an old head bolt to use as a thread chaser.
    If you need new bolts or studs, visit www.fordbolts.com - Roy has the real stuff

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'm going to run the stock heads for now. Probably try and just replace the needed studs. I've read too many horror stories about breaking off the studs during removal.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Thanks for the info