Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs When is Ugly, To ugly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hollywood-East, Mar 30, 2016.

1. It is weird, I wouldn't do much to it.......until I saw that photoshop. Damn, that actually looks pretty cool in a Ute sorta way.

2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

If you have to ask it's too ugly. Photo shop did improve it though.

Greenblade likes this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Raymay, That look's a Whole lot Different, Damn!! Good work..Wow

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. raymay

raymay

That was done on another HAMB photoshoot thread by "themoose". He did the work, I was just the messenger.
    Still thinking if the box had some curved and smoother lines like the front of the car, it might give it a more factory look kind of like the Australian Utes.

chryslerfan55, Greenblade and dad-bud like this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

6. I think lose the stake sides, fix the cab back if not too hard. Don't spend a lot of money on it. Definitely needs the old style mud and snow tires on the rear. What the hell, have fun with it and it will probably get more attention than 95% of any vehicles at a show.

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No! The stakesides are what give it that sense of purpose, somebody said that general "I don't give a shit" vibe thing or whatever. I agree. Ya gotta wear overalls when ya drive it, maybe a straw hat of some kind and a corn cob pipe.

Case of Grain Belt, and Bob's Yer Uncle. Well, the brunette hottie in the boots.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

With the back of a p/u cab and the quarters and tailgate off a same era Plymouth 2 door wagon you might have something.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. It is ugly! But in a nice way.:p The more I look at it the more I like it.:eek: It must be those rear fenders.:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I dig it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats it, in a nutshell. Take the stakes off and the whole deal falls apart. It would be like Guy Rochenets '34 without the blown early hemi!!

12. Jibs

Jibs

I liked it when I first saw it, thought it was different & cool. After seeing the mooses photo shop, I really like it now.

13. IMG_20160403_182950.jpg Green maybe......

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Personally, I think the rear of the side window opening (door post) should either be straight up and down...or the cab's roof should be angled to match the door...that alone would improve the looks...I think the rest looks good......

R-

chryslerfan55, slv63 and Moondog13 like this.
  15. You mean angle the rear of the cab above the belt line to match the back of the side window? YES, i think that may help also.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I was going to say that ugly is too ugly before 6 beers :D:D

17. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Reminds me of a Hudson if I squint some.
    [​IMG]

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yes...it would help...

R-

19. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Picked these up this week off of CL, From local Hamb'r Tudorfritz..Thanx! Should help the ol' Gal out, Now if this damn weather will break... NCM_1274.JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    chryslerfan55 and tudorfritz like this.
  20. dad-bud

dad-bud

The photoshop done by the moose is great. No stake sides and lean the cabin rear window matching the angle of the back of the door. The bed needs to move back a little or be shortened to suit. Your new wheels and tyres will also help in the antidisdeuglification but it will be a shipload of work. ..........build thread????
    Good luck and have fun with it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sorry, Fail. Those wide whitewalls will just accent and add to the ugly :oops: :)

22. You guys are all trying to put lipstick on a pig.... Let it be what it is... Enjoy and celebrate the pig! Revel in it's piggyness! :D:eek::p

23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You're right, even knocking the dust off will probably yuppify it severely. Oh well.

Oh, are those passenger hand rails on the cab I see, for standing on the running boards while underway?

24. Yeah, I wouldn't do a thing to it except wash it and if the wood cab-back doesn't leak or squeak too bad, I'd leave it too. Drive and enjoy it. I put a 12 volt alternator on a buddy's brown '49 last summer. It was a 2 door sedan like this one was once. He couldn't see the beauty in it and sold it before I knew it was even for sale...sold it cheap! Loved the saggy brown metallic paint! It was too funky...

chryslerfan55 and Hollywood-East like this.
  25. Hey! It needs stacks!...........and maybe a visor

26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Rocky, funny you should mention exhaust, I was thinking at first the ol' school pipes running along the upper bed like was seen in the 50's, then this last weekend at a swapmeet, I gambled on a set of "lakes" I'll be Damn'd, they are the perfect length! ) NCM_1269.JPG

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  27. upspirate

upspirate

But they need to go up the back of the cab to just under the bed rails, then out toward the back along the underside of the bed rails

28. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm pretty sure that's what I was say'n... But, When you trip over a set of lakes at a swap, that will be an easier task, This is not the only car I'm working on, You know.. When you convince yourself to allow it to follow you home, I have that problem..

29. von Dyck

von Dyck

Depression era farm trucks were done this way - seen lots of 'em.
    I personally did a '61 VW - cut it down to a 1/4 ton flat deck. Back of cab was plywood. Widened some 15s for the rear with 8.20 rubber on 'em. Named it Wolfgang. That thing did a lot of work. Yeh - it did turn heads. End result? Made something useless into something useful.

Oh, by the way, you might incur the wrath of HAMB purists by changing the historical significance of the original owner's intent and workmanship. Yes, it is ugly! So is '33 Willys, '61 Dodge Dart, Henry J Kaiser, '48 Studebaker, '61 Comet, '58 Packard, late '30s Hudson Terraplane, many more! Was Wolfgang ugly? For sure. My '74 AMC Pacer? Yep!

Do what you want with it. It is your car. But leave it as a Ute - it will always stand out in the morass of of our mundane, modern automobiles.

30. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

NCM_1399.JPG Had a minute, an we are finally into decent weather here back east.. NCM_1398.JPG NCM_1397.JPG