Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs When is Ugly, To ugly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hollywood-East, Mar 30, 2016.

1. raymay

raymay

Check out some Australian Ute images. The angles on your cab roofline already have the potential for some nice flow. Improving the box area can really bring it all together. You could also post some pictures on the photoshop thread here and get design ideas. Some of those guys do great photoshop images.

Plymouth_Ute_1952_John%20Goldsmith_Hobart_Tasmania.gif ebay142344307753845.jpg

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! They are the crowning glory!!

Truck64 likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Perfect!! Seriously, some things shouldn't be messed with and this is a PERFECT example of THAT^^.
    I LOVE the bias ply snowies! And YES, I DO want a ride in the back!

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  4. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Just curious, is it still the original driveline?

5. Someone had too much time on their hands and I would think a lot of alcohol was consumed in it's construction,different yes,ugly? I'm afraid so. HRP

6. Like the old saying says; "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". My eyes aren't beholding that. But it wasn't modified to be pretty.

jeffd1988, clem and volvobrynk like this.
  7. belair

belair

If she looses the glasses and lets her hair down...wait, wait, different deal. I think it has tons of potential. You have already figured out what she needs.

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  8. And all this time I thought it was ''Beauty is in the eye of the BEER holder" :D HRP
    '

9. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Yes the drive line is totally original, 6- fluid drive, I knew this thing would be Fun, This thread is cracking me up.. The best part, Very few dead president's had to be let go.. Once again the fun factor.. It's raining here today, I'm going to get a 6 V battery today, see if any parts store can get a fuel pump, does it have day time running lights, cruise, anti-lock brakes, are system only goes back to 1975...

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Funny thing about these kind of threads (titles), you pass over them while you cherry pick your favorites, but every time they come around its kind of like they are going "hey, you, yes you, over here, what about me. Nearly without fail they seem to be better when you have let them sit and "age" for a bit. Always entertaining and a nice distraction from the norm. I see these kind of rigs and think; this guy is smart, he's made due with what's available to him but the whole time (while people are smirking at him), he's saving his money and building something really cool that nobody has seen yet.

This is what I'd do.

[​IMG]

11. When is Ugly, Too ugly?

I don't know, but that ship sailed a long time ago for this one ;)

12. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

You'd definitely be ''makin' a statement''....EVERYONE would stop and look! That might be some real cool 'satisfaction' in it.....heck, I'd wear a pair o' bib-overalls, and say " I drive it because I CAN!!!"....I think it's totally cool, and very retro....just think it's sayin' ''fun'' in a vintage way:D

13. jazz1

jazz1

Nice weekend project, does not take a whole lot of vision to see how cool that automobile can look with a little paint and metal. Rear of cab will likely take most of Saturday. Keep us posted.

14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It flat-out rocks, and stake sides gotta stay on. Reminds me of being a kid, it wasn't unusual to see stuff like this, not so much car to truck conversions, but lots of pickups with wooden boxes replacing salt-rotted or banged up factory boxes.

In the spirit of do-what-ya-gotta-do, I recall a guy that used to bring his goats to the local salebarn in a Beetle with all seats but the driver's removed.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

good basic plan, but that thing is too big and heavy for a red ram, needs a chrysler. Other than that, and a posi so it can black track in stereo, I wouldn't change a thing! How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I think she's cute!

The Dodge is ugly.

williebill and blowby like this.
  17. indyjps

indyjps

There's really nothing wrong with just driving the thing as is. Funky, weird, ugly, whatever you wanna call it, it's got an I don't give a shit vibe going and people will move out of your way

My previous post was my opinion on how to make it look better. Maybe it doesn't need anything at all.

18. It's got a certain 'honesty' to it now, anything you do to 'fix it up' (other than needed repairs and a set of 'period correct' wheels/tires) is only going to detract from that. A perfect example of a well-executed 'farmer fix' with what was at hand...

chryslerfan55 and falcongeorge like this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I figured I would let someone else chime in on the box and fenders.Owned a few of those vintage trucks.

20. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Wheel covers and run it!

AmishMike likes this.
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

Very Unique ! If you're happy, We all are happy for you, I always look at the different cars/trucks, All cars are Kool in their own way, its what makes our Hobby so great.

22. I tell you what.If you drove that in to town. I KNOW people would be driving off the road just staring at it. Kool Bruce.

chryslerfan55 and Hollywood-East like this.
  23. exterminator

exterminator

I have always liked having a car that not everyone else has(old cars).How many cars have you seen like this?This is what makes this hobby great!You could drive this car to the mall and not worry about it getting the paint scratched-talking about attention you would get.You could wear overalls,strawhat,bubbateeth,the list goes on! What fun you could have and it could drop your blood pressure laughing.Of course you would need a cd player playing (Hand me down a can of beans,hand me down a can of beans......)from the movie paint your wagon. Sorry about my warped sense of humor!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

24. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

This is what I'd do.

[​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking you could leave it as is and put some serious horsepower in it to make it an epic sleeper. Can you imagine the look on someone's face after they get thier ass handed to them by that car/ truck WTF???

25. gatz

gatz

Way back in the early to mid 60's a local farmer had taken a 53 Mercury (!!) and did the same thing to it.
    Don't know the reason why he did it; maybe he couldn't afford a pickup at the time.
    I recall seeing him driving it along main street with a load of something on it and the tail-end was practically on the ground. He was never in a hurry, and noted for stopping at the local watering holes. There were 4 on one block, so his "trip to town for some feed" sometimes took hours or an entire afternoon. We joked that he was "making his rounds".

At some point he had it painted a maroon color.
    It really wasn't all that bad to look at......just different, and usually covered with dirt/mud.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were a couple of car to truck conversions like that around my home area in the early 60's. One belonged to a farmer and I put groceries in it in the mid 60's when it came to town. Story on it was that the car had been hit in the rear quarter and totaled but from the door posts forward it was perfect. Someone bought it off the insurance company and cut the back off and put a pickup box on it. I remember the guy's wife because she always bought sacks of flower in the cloth sacks and would sort through the ones on the shelf to get a certain pattern of cloth. You did what you could do to get by then. The other one was some guy's beater truck that he drove to the fields that I would see on the road once in a while. If you think about it a bit and you didn't have a lot of money but had access to a decent car that was totaled in the back but great from the B pillers forward why not build a cheap pickup out of it that you could use?

chryslerfan55, ClayMart and dad-bud like this.
  27. raymay

raymay

Here is a little photoshop idea by themoose. I posted your picture on the other thread and he did a nice job taking some of the ugly out.

2.jpg

28. YEA Danny, hold mine while I work on my olds wagon.LOL.Bruce.

29. Raymay,Now I like that!!!!!! Bruce.