Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When does traditional "expand"? (If it ever does)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Taboo56Chevy, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great Answer, Moriarity... Kudos to you!!

2. fordflambe

fordflambe

For that person, could it be called "Digital"?

3. Boden

Boden

Anything is traditional to a specific year. If your are building a traditional 60s custom. It is a traditional 60s build. If ur building a 70s muscle car it’s traditional to the 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

oldiron 440 and chopped like this.
  4. fordflambe

fordflambe

I'm probably the worst offender. I used to call my 70' chevelle bracket car a "Hot Rod". John Force calls his funny car "Hot Rod" all the time. Most of us tend to use, abuse, and misuse words. Often times, "Traditional" is thrown around like "Hot Rod".............Kids now days call their tuner a Hot Rod too. I think the intent/mission of this Forum is clear and mutually respected by most. Regardless of where or how you hear the words, I don't think it changes the meaning of "traditional" on this website.

5. big bird

big bird

The site is what it is, and that is a good thing.
    There are other sites where the focus is on later cars, or slick "Coddington/Foose" builds.
    This is perfect the way it is.
    I do not have anything that is not O/T, and probably never will.
    But I love this site just the way it is.

Noticed this thread is tagged "Art & Inspiration".
    That is exactly what this whole site is to me.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    alanp561 and 427 sleeper like this.
  6. I can’t define “traditional”, but I know it when I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If we're going to be limited to only parts made before 1965, this site is going to get really small, really quickly.

8. When Ryan starts another message board for say, '65 -'72 muscle cars, patterned after the HAMB of course. (hint, hint) ;););)

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And I expect to see all kinds of Mustangs and Camaros..........riiight!

10. That’s a lot of 350s, 454s and 302s man

19Eddy30 likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And you will have to pry my cold dead hands off my 327!

Darryl Deir and 427 sleeper like this.
  12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it's gonna handicap everything but Chevy's... They always run good! ;)

Tickety Boo likes this.
  13. And if the truth be known, many HAMBers have muscle cars too. Chevy II, Novas, Vegas, Chevelles, Corvettes, Pintos, Fairlanes, Trans Ams, Dusters, Roadrunners, Challengers, Chargers, AMX, 442's, GS's, etc. (I'm sure I missed a few.)

There's room to start another board in the likeness of the HAMB, and keep them separate by year. Wouldn't it be nice to have that same type repository of info and family atmosphere as the HAMB for muscle cars? Sorry Ryan, I don't mean to put anything on you, I'm sure your plate is pretty full as is. :) Just a thought.

That other board, (which many of us are on) is too complicated and not user friendly. I'm not that computer savvy, but it is almost impossible to find anything or post on. I rarely ever go there. OK, rant over... :cool:

14. 34Larry

34Larry

At what point does the umbrella of "Traditional" expand?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I have to very careful here with my words. Because I have been told recently by a HAMB member my reasoning on what I think, and how I present myself in discussions it ranting. So to start with I sincerely apologize to any of you whom I have offended with my comments for the past 9 years I have been a member.

I intended on going to go through and read every post, compare it then to my idea of "Traditional" and try to speak to what I think "Traditional" is and I started out with good intentions but that is a whole lot of reading. I mean no harm to all you good guys/gals that have built and drive or drove at one time some "post 49" cars modified with hard work, and good money spent on doing so. I have of course done that myself, but not one of those was"Traditional" in the true seance

Ok . "Traditional" depends on age. Your age and the environment you were brought up........ through.
    Next then is the age of the car being scrutinized.
    If the car being scrutinized is pre 1949, and fat or flat fendered, at least in my book it is "Traditional" and I believe a lot guys my age or at least around my age which is approaching 81 in April think the same way. I feel a car post 1949 when modified is most certainly a creation to behold and appreciate as much as any "hot rod", but for me it can not be "Traditional" and never will be.
    I intend no harm at all if your one who has built and drove or do so now, a post 1949 car. I have had quite a few myself through the years, but never once considered any of them , beginning with a 51 Chev., on to a '56 post, then a '57 HT, and the last before the cutoff a '63 Impala to be "Traditional" of any thing in the past. I even had a '40 Olds. coupe I felt the same about.
    I can't and won't buy into some nit-picky thing parts having to come from the same era, or year of the car, I debate that idea fearlessly and to the end.

Now about my Avatar 34 which has been declared non- Traditional, not HAMB friendly which may surprise you, it did me.. That is because it wares 60/61 E-type Jaguar IRS and IFS for a foundation. I rebuilt it from the Northern Star remains,[​IMG]
    Putting it back on the road in the summer of 2016 and posting it on the HAMB only to have all refernce to it deleted. I won't go into it here but I was informed that it is not traditional. That did jerk my chain pretty hard I admit, but have learned to accept that, and the moderators have allowed it to be posted a time or two. I'm going to press my luck here with the moderators and post a couple of shots why it is considered non traditional, even though it is modeled from the golden hot rod era which makes it both "Traditional" in my book and non- Traditional in the eyes of the HAMB and others.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My point is, as has been said many, many times, "Ryans" internet site, Ryans rules.

(Please PM me if I have in anyway offended you, I appreciate any input offered)
    34 Larry

chopped and RJP like this.
  15. I kinda think of it as the guy with a leather jacket, pomade in his hair, and a comb in his back pocket... would my car fit into his era? The parts I'm sticking on my car.... was they in the catalog in 65? Now there are some things that i exclude personally, like safety related parts, carburetor, radiator etc. But if it's something that i know is a sin in the traditional eyes, I'm not gonna say anything about it to you animals lol. I have cragar S/S wheels on my car, was they available in 64? Honestly i have no clue, i think 70's when i see them. But im gonna run em :D and i was born in 69, so if i need to pack up and move on just let me know. You couldn't hurt my feelings with a chainsaw. But i betcha I'll keep building cars for a long time to come ;)

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As a matter of fact I do!

Montana1 likes this.
  17. Don't change a thing. The car's perfect. And so is your attitude. (this is NOT a paid endorsement)

427 sleeper likes this.
  18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

[QUOTE="34Larry, post:

Now about my Avatar 34 which has been declared non- Traditional, not HAMB friendly which may surprise you, it did me.. That is because it wares 60/61 E-type Jaguar IRS and IFS for a foundation. I rebuilt it from the Northern Star remains,[​IMG]
    Putting it back on the road in the summer of 2016 and posting it on the HAMB only to have all refernce to it deleted. I won't go into it here but I was informed that it is not traditional. That did jerk my chain pretty hard I admit, but have learned to accept that, and the moderators have allowed it to be posted a time or two. I'm going to press my luck here with the moderators and post a couple of shots why it is considered non traditional, even though it is modeled from the golden hot rod era which makes it both "Traditional" in my book and non- Traditional in the eyes of the HAMB and others.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My point is, as has been said many, many times, "Ryans" internet site, Ryans rules.

(Please PM me if I have in anyway offended you, I appreciate any input offered)
    34 Larry[/QUOTE]

You have a really nice car Larry. I think the problem is that you .....like me and many others didn't realize that apparently your car is perfectly acceptable as long as it's posted in the General HAMB section ......just not in the Traditional section.

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I enjoy this site and see no need to change a thing.
    The only times I get annoyed is when the posts are about adding modern crap to a ride.
    I know and understand we as a group are getting older and accustomed to more creature comforts however posts about adding a Mustang II style front end,5-speed or overdrive auto trans, aftermarket a/c, bluetooth,GPS, LS, etc etc have nothing to do with a traditional build. It's all 1-800-street-rod stuff put on a car that is wink wink nudge nudge "traditional". I love '55 Chevies but there were not many built pre '65 with the above items added.
    I get it. I really do. True Hot Rodding is about adapting the newest technology to a older car. Traditional Hot Rodding was adapting juice brakes, a OHV V8, finned brake drums, etc etc to a 30's car preferably a coupe or roadster. Adding the newer stuff to a post '49 is Hot Rodding , it's just(to me) in the gray area of traditional.
    On this site we have a wealth of knowledge that is beyond most other sites. Talented craftsmen who share information freely. Historians of the car scene. Technical wizards whose information that thankfully will be preserved as long as the computer banks or the cloud can hold it.
    There are characters,funny stories and sharp wit as well. Every day I find something on here that makes this grumpy older guy smile and laugh and that isn't easy.
    Every reader of these pages finds what he or she finds interesting and lets what they don't slide. They wouldn't stay around if they didn't and I appreciate all members here. It's the people that make this place work. This is a site for car people that embrace the traditional aspect as well as the camaraderie. It's a unique place.
    My opinion,aint worth a dime.

20. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

This site is great as is. No changes needed

Darryl Deir and saltracer219 like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You have a really nice car Larry. I think the problem is that you .....like me and many others didn't realize that apparently your car is perfectly acceptable as long as it's posted in the General HAMB section ......just not in the Traditional section.[/QUOTE]

If you read the rules you will see that what you told Larry about being able to post his car on the main board is wrong. Aftermarket and late model IFS are off topic period:

straight from the rules.
    5. As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here. Please note that we don't focus on things such as modern fuel injected motors, big-inch wheels, frame clips, after market independent suspensions, etc... at all on the H.A.M.B.. As such, posts that stray away from the "traditional inspired" will be deleted.

yet with the rules we have and I believe most everyone knows about them , I can say that almost every single day I have to delete pictures of cars with giant billet wheels.....

54delray, lurker mick, bowie and 3 others like this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I am trying to build a 33 Plymouth Scan0806.jpg . I have accesses to a 34 Plymouth frame, but it has an independent front suspension from the factory in 34. I am going to change it to a straight axle, cause that's what I want. AND then I won`t have to explain to everybody why it has an independent front suspension. Would be nice to find a 33 frame. ^^^^^^ Would only be using the front clip if I found a different frame.

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure I know where a 33 frame is and it's close to me. Shoot me a PM.​

24. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

wow ,ive been hanging out here for yrs..never really read the rules, I knew/know 64 was the cutoff ,but didn't get to all the fine print. my latest love 41 sd 5 pass. coupe has a 62 235 now but I put a chrome alt. on so its now black listed ? was thinking about a t5 but evolution is leading toward a Saginaw 3 spd and nova rear .from a 68 ! not ok ?I really didn't know/ think I was doing wrong . my f1 has a Chevelle sub. not welcome? my 55 burbn has nova/jag./454 . not kustom .? I didn't know it was that way! ive been under cars since before I could walk . if im deleted ,where do I go . self emposed exile? im to old to change!! WHAT AM I ??

Attached Files:

25. Yea no recycles Champion plugs. LOL

I am probably not going to say anything here that is going to make everyone happy but here goes. Ryan sets the pace here as far as what is acceptable and what is not. it is his site after all. But at some of his thinking on the subject comes from a few years of us cussing and discussing the subject. Now, that would have been a HAMB that most of you would not find unacceptable. Back when if you did not agree you may suggest in no uncertain terms that someone was using their sphincter for a hat band or perhaps you may tell someone that they should do something with themselves that is pretty much anatomically impossible (you can trust me on this I am pretty cute so I have tried).

We all finally made some compromises as some wanted there time to stop when split glass stopped and others wanted to have their tri fives included ect. We ultimately came up with the idea that the period of time that we consider to be traditional started when the first Gow Job hit the street and ended when the first muscle car rolled off the assembly line.

Can traditional change, only if history can change. or at least as far as we are concerned. There will be people who come after us who prefer a different time period that is human nature. One thing that you cannot change is the fact that when anyone could walk into the showroom and buy a basic hot rod right off the show room floor it changed the face of hot rodding forever.

Stogy, saltracer219 and bowie like this.
  26. 34Larry

34Larry

You have a really nice car Larry. :));):D my thank you's)

I surly appreciate this comment. Thank you.

I think the problem is that you .....like me and many others didn't realize that apparently your car is perfectly acceptable as long as it's posted in the General HAMB section ......just not in the Traditional section.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you read the moderators post saying the independent suspension is not HAMB friendly, therefore I read this as non traditional.
    However I do recall seeing such installations, (IRS anyway), in some of the rodding mags of the 50's, especially in T buckets. So I consider my 34 to be traditional but respect very much. that the HAMB officials do not. :D

27. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

what was the first year for jag irs ? had to be close to the hamb req? anyone know . I still remember the first time I saw a xke ,1968 . I was 8 and the jag was far from new, and rode hard , and put away wet ! but I knew it was special , even then !

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, No you do not need to have gasoline and oil and spark plugs from before 1965 to be able to post. Reproduction parts as long as they are exact reproductions of the original parts are ok.

cars that are not 100% traditional (era correct) can post on the main board. Yes it has been noted that 350 chev small block v8's are ok, as long as they are dressed to look old. A long time ago Ryan said that he had no problem with disk brakes and 5 spd od trans (for the most part these things are invisible on most cars). and yes camaro and nova subframes are off topic, if your car has one just don't talk about it and don't do a thread on how to install one. If your car has visible late model IFS it is off topic here period

you can find the rules here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

29. 1961 for the Jag.
    1963 for the Vette.

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this has been beaten to death over and over. Just because a part was produced back then and maybe one guy used one back then does not make it a traditional hot rod part. Think about it.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.