Register now to get rid of these ads!

When do I change the oil on a rebuilt Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUDOG, Aug 26, 2008.

1. RUDOG

RUDOG

I just got 80 miles on my rebuilt 8ba Flathead motor, and I'm driving about 60 miles to the Primer Nationals this weekend. It's the same oil I've been running since I started it for the first time. I also got that Zinc plus to add to my next oil change. So, When do I change the oil for the first time on a rebuilt Ford Flathead?? Thanx

2. If you're running no filtration, I would say now is a good time for that first change. Gets rid of any crud that may have been inadvertently left behind and dislodged, and any minute metal particles that will inevitably be part of the break in process.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

In a non filtrated engine, I change every 500 miles.

4. I run a filter on my and change it every 1200-1500 miles

5. Dump it....FAST, esp before the trip.

After u break the cam in you should dump the oil asap as the cam lube will clog the oil filter as well as it being dirty from a freshly broken in.

The lubricating properties of the oil won't be too good with all that crap floating around. I've always done this and have never had a cam go flat OR any other engine issues.

DO IT MAN !!

Rat

6. RUDOG

RUDOG

I am running no Filter. I am going to change the oil tonight. Thanks for everyones input.

See you all at the Primer Nationals!

thank you

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Lotta reasons for early first change...metal, also lots of blowby stuff in oil because rings aren't seating yet...
    Retorque heads while you're at it. A good way is to back off all 48 SLIGHTLY, like 1/4 turn, then retorque to spec. Mark a few with a sharpy...you'll see they advance a bit this way.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I never heard of that method.
    I even had specified classes on application of torques when I was working for Volvo-Gm Heavy truck as a Quality ANAL-LYST.
    Makes sense though. Some head bolts are designed to stretch after the initial torque.
    Not questioning experience by no means here.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bolts so treated will generally move a bit farther at same torque...I think cumulated effects of gasket compression, threads working in together, etc. They aren't torque to yield type...
    They won't advance as much if simply retorqued to same without the slight loosening. I presume this is because of different break-away loading.