Register now to get rid of these ads!

When did they stop using AMPS and switch to VOLTS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Aug 18, 2011.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Speaking of Hummelstown, how are you Doug?

2. noboD

noboD

I'm just counting the days until Hershey, see ya soon.

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

None of my business, but I'm curious as to what your work must be, in that you "measure amps at work all the time", yet you're not SURE about the actual output of an alternator or generator. Just curious as to why you'd measure "AMPS" all the time? What positive result does that have for your workplace? DD

4. fleet-master

fleet-master

...so a 75watt bulb has more reisistance than a 100watt bulb?
    cos the wall socket in my house is 240v and i think around 10amps??

5. Mudgy

Mudgy

who said anything about AC domestic supply & resistance of a filament? You'll only confuse things more. And don't mention impedance, reluctance & induction ok? This is just "who prefers what gauge in the dash"....I think.:confused:

6. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Mmmmmm . . . .Supermodified.

Love it. :D

7. fleet-master

fleet-master

oooops sorry 'bout that :p:p

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

i got lost when they started talkin bout the pressure of the smoke comin out the hose and the and the volume of water in the small wire compared to the big wire????

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm the electrical idiot here and even I know there is car electricity and house electricity!:eek: I think I've figured out the AMP vs VOLTS deal, its a big boob vs leg show deal, some guys look at one thing and some look at others. Are big boobs Amps or Volts? :rolleyes:

10. depends if they are real.

11. ComingApart

ComingApart

After being stranded multiple times due to Dodge truck amp gauges, I have a phobia of them and replace them with voltmeters in anything I drive.

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Volts. Think of it as potential power and visit your local Hooters. Lotta "voltage" there!:D

13. DrJ

DrJ

True, but they wouldn't have an alternating current generator (Alternator) that's capable of 110 (peak) Amps either.

Someone already stated that mfgr's switched to cheaper-to-make volt meter's because an amp meter capable of carrying 110 amps would cost too much to make.
    I've had plenty of cars that just use "idiot lights" for, everything!
    The only problem with the typical idiot light hook up is if the bulb burns out it stops the generator from delivering a charge but doesn't tell you!
    (That happened to me once too, But I just wrote it off to the car being a "Fix It Again Tony" :rolleyes: )

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Ford actually had some good ideas for ammeters. The 50's and early 60's were of the inductive type, which had a 10 gauge wire run thru a loop on the back of the gauge. So the gauge had nothing to do with running actual current thru the gauge. The gauge would simply move by the inductive field around the wire, therefore no chance of any smoke.
    Then in Ford trucks of the late 60's, that had alternators, they went to a shunt type setup. This allowed the main current to bypass the gauge, and the gauge would read the "voltage" across a small resistance wire. The resistance wire was in series with the main supply wire.

So to make it simple, there are ways to incorporate an ammeter without running huge wires up to the gauge.