Register now to get rid of these ads!

When did halibrand close in Torrance? San Diego?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

What year did halibrand close in Torrance? Was it about 15 years ago?

2. Halibrand was in Culver City from 47-63. Then in Torrance from 63-79. Ted sold off the company in 79 and passed away in 91. he sold it to Curt Waters who had also bought CAE. Curt then sold the wheels to Jackman Wheels San Diego.

After that it gets pretty muddy with the Kansas City operation and that LeJurrnne guy seemed to be a little shady. The current owners are trying but I did order some recently and it took forever to get and communication was fair at best. Wheels look good though

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. seatex

seatex

That is the power of the H.A.M.B.. ask a question, and get an answer!

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd guess around 15 years ago but i only heard by word of mouth, that'd put me around 11....

5. bondolero

bondolero

ditto from me, I had a set of kidney beans made and it took almost a year. I was patient and finally got em and they were extremely nice !

Larry

6. deucemac

deucemac

When Waters bought Halibrand and CAE, Both Ted Halibrand and Jim Culbert were not real sure about Curt Waters. Halibrand was so unsure that he would come in early each morning and move things out before Waters people got there because he didn't trust the deal. But, at least he got paid. I was told this by a man named Jim that later worked for Speedway and did some custom machine work on an old Halibrand boat V drive for me. He and Ted would both get there early and remove goodies. As for Jim Culbert, all he got from the deal was promises to pay from Waters. He died a very angry and bitter person that felt some successor from Waters on should have honored the deal. A good friend of mine crewed the CAE sprint cars and was partners with John Cramer, CAE shop foreman, on a few projects and related the information about Jim never getting paid. Sadly, all three are now pushing up daisys. I heard from an emplyee during the Jackman era and was told that they used to have beach parties and burned many patterns on their bond fires, I shudder to think if that was true!