Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical When did boxing the frame become a thing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just wondering if this is a modern practice or something that would have been done in the early days of hot rodding? Mainly focusing on street cars.

My gut says in the last 30 years.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Tim likes this.
  2. wrong oh unknowledgeable one.....twice that and more.

hotrodharry2, Roothawg and X38 like this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

I’d say 70 years, with the advent of the high torque overhead GM V8’s.

LAROKE, flatheadpete and Roothawg like this.
  4. What, since 1990? You're being funny.:p

5. can't say when it started, but helped my next door neighbor box his 32 roadster back in 63.

6. It probably started the first time someone stepped on the gas and made a pretzel. :eek:

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I did it to my circle track roadster in 1947 and it was not new then.
    I skip boxed to keep weight down.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It probably started in the twenties when big packards and large cars were wreckers. Converted of course for dealerships. Some guy bent the frame trying to lift another large broke down car and bent the frame on the rescue vehicle. Another guy said Hey! We could beef the frame on the .....wrecker! LOL

9. The Doanne Spencer 32 Roadster had a inset boxed frame that he built in 1938.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a geological scale, 82 is very close to 30.

11. Fordors

Fordors

Didn’t Pat Ganahl tell us in one of his columns that Doane first bought the car from Jack Dorn in 1944?

5window and Roothawg like this.
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

From the mid-1920s on, racers (mostly circle trackers) started using Essex frames because, from what I understand, the steel was higher quality and the rails were deeper, like 32s - so lb for lb they were stronger than early Fords. And then they got boxed, too, as engines got more cylinders and more hopped up. Beefing up frames for race cars is probably a 100 year old practice! Lots of famous rods have beefed up frames, too.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was just basing off of the survivor cars I have seen in person. Dads drag car from 59 wasn’t even done. I know Chevrolet was building hat style frames in the 40’s, but I am talking about mainly Ford chassis.

I am glad to hear that though, since I have already made the boxing plates. I am just wanting this chassis to appear like it was built by a guy in 1959-62. Research matters!

No obvious giveaways. Make sense?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  14. Not true "boxing", but "fish-plating" frames in week spots on race cars has been going on likely since the first race car. Strengthens the frame substantially without the added weight of complete boxing.

15. They were boxing frames in the '60s that I know of. It really became a thing I think when people left the flathead behind in favor of the valve in head and fatter tires.

Roothawg likes this.
  16. I saw a '64 Impala SS at a friend's shop. The customer bought it at one of those big auctions you see on TV by phone. Someone boxed the frame 100%, a mish-mosh of steel plates welded over everything. The body and amount of bondo support it being wrecked badly at some point.

Roothawg likes this.
  17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I’m with lothiandon1940. I think frames were partial boxed (engine Bay, suspension points)

Tman, lothiandon1940 and Roothawg like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I tend to think you are right.

19. I boxed my first Model A frame in 1974 after I was shown just how flexible the frame was, they were designed for rough rods if they existed at all.

I watched a friend lay one side of the frame on a concrete block, he stood on the rear part of the frame that was on the block and told another guy to stand on the opposite side frame horn, that frame flexed a good 3 inches. HRP

Roothawg likes this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

When did HP become a thing.

21. I did my coupe in the 60's! 32-5window (3).jpg

51box, Roothawg and Deuced Up! like this.
  22. Boodlum

Boodlum

In 1964 sacrificed a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible to get a factory boxed frame to shorten and build a Corvette 283 powered dune buggy. One sudden machine. Have exactly ONE piece of that build remaining - an aluminum Corvette valve cover - in the garage reminding me not to do that again.

'51 Norm likes this.
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow. I'm sure that was interesting.

Boodlum likes this.
  24. The first guy that put real HP in a model T chassis

Roothawg likes this.
  25. Ask " BLUE BEAR" (BOYD CODDINGTON'S "buddy") ?

26. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I tried boxing a frame once, Damn thing couldn't hit worth shit but took a helluva of a punch .

Tman and Roothawg like this.
  27. Boodlum

Boodlum

Yes it was... lol
    [​IMG]
    ...back on topic!

Roothawg likes this.
  28. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If you look at the progression of say a Model T frame up thru say the '40s, Ford started using some sort of bracing or boxing since day one. It didn't take long for a smart hot rodder to figure out his Model A ladder frame, wasn't strong enough for an Old's or Caddy V-8. Boxing and bracing made it happen. I know of a '32 three window, that was built in the early '50s, that has a boxed frame so it's been around at least since the '50s. If I had to guess, I would thing some GI that returned from the war was the first, probably started in the late '40s.

Roothawg likes this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had an Essex frame that had been under a very early sprint car, this frame had a 'doubler' bolted under each side rail: Doublers were 3/16" plate, 40 inches long by 4 inches tall, with a 2 inch brake to attach to bottoms of rails. Ends were angled at 30 degrees, (looked like a reshaped Model A side apron, trimmed)
    Greatly improved the profile, that curvy side rail...Very strong, bolted with 3/8" SAE bolts and nuts every 5 inches.
    (Alternative to boxing? Greatly improved rigidity.)

Roothawg likes this.
  30. HOLY MOSES!! you've been doing this since 1947?? My hats off to you

clunker likes this.