Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheelstander Project A100 trucks lets see them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mullins, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mullins

Mullins

I've always loved the little red wagon. I recently found this 1964 Dodge A100. I bought it yesterday and hauled it home. I've never built anything like this before, so it's going to be a adventure I'm sure. It came with a 440 and a shorty 727 transmission. The guy bought it years ago from someone who just started building it. There's a engine cradle mount in the center of the truck. The transmission is a box truck transmission. I have a lot of learning to do on this one. It's a solid truck and will be a lot of fun when I get it done. If anyone knows anything on how to go about building one please speek up. I appreciate any information I can get on building it. Thanks and I hope you all like the pictures, Rob Mullins

Attached Files:

• 082.jpg
      082.jpg
      File size:
      355.7 KB
      Views:
    • 086.jpg
      086.jpg
      File size:
      366 KB
      Views:
    • 134.jpg
      134.jpg
      File size:
      315.6 KB
      Views:
    • 136.jpg
      136.jpg
      File size:
      486.5 KB
      Views:
    • 146.jpg
      146.jpg
      File size:
      390.1 KB
      Views:
    • 159.jpg
      159.jpg
      File size:
      288.6 KB
      Views:
    • 155.jpg
      155.jpg
      File size:
      267.6 KB
      Views:
    • 154.jpg
      154.jpg
      File size:
      421.9 KB
      Views:
    • 153.jpg
      153.jpg
      File size:
      468.2 KB
      Views:
    • 167.jpg
      167.jpg
      File size:
      356 KB
      Views:
    • 161.jpg
      161.jpg
      File size:
      329 KB
      Views:
    • 151.jpg
      151.jpg
      File size:
      287.5 KB
      Views:
    • 147.jpg
      147.jpg
      File size:
      247.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Damn.....I am so jealous about that nice rear bumper. If you are not going to use it, I am interested in it. John
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

nuts_over_glass likes this.
  3. Mullins

Mullins

To early in the game to sell the rear bumper. But If I do I will let you know first.

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Interesting project good luck with it. You have a good start truck and motor wise, what rear does it have in it? An 8-3/4 would work, I don't think it takes all that much to get the wheels up in that thing. Some moderate HP, good gears and a good rear suspension. Leaf spring stockers do it with 9" tires 350HP and a set of Caltracs. If you want to steer it while its up on two wheels thats a whole different ball game. Make sure your insurance is up to date.

Pat

5. Mullins

Mullins

I'm lucky, it already has the 8 3/4 rearend. I'm really looking forward to building it and bringing it back to life.

6. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Saw Little red wagon twice. Bill was real down to earth to talk to. to steer, he used Airheart brakes, 2 calipers per rear wheel rotor. One set for regular brake duty, one set plumbed to a handle in the cab which was attached to 2 opposing master cylinders;pull handle=left braking, push handle=right brake. The powertain mounted on a big swingarm pivoting in front of crank pulley, on leaves at rear.He said open rear end was necessary. when all four wheels came up, it unloaded the drivetrain till the back tires touched down again, it broke 8 3/4 ring gear teeth, so he went to 60's Chev 1 ton rears. His motors made a little over 1000 hp, but that was more than enough to "get it up".

7. Pretty Cool, Can't wait to follow the build!

8. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Do a search for the one that Tom Mcullum (street rodder) built, chopped as well, eng/box/axle all on a frame that was hinged, Id love to build a replica and best way to build IMO

9. Mullins

Mullins

Few more pictures, after it was rinsed off and a set of wheels that I had laying around thrown on it. Man I'm really starting to like this truck more and more.

Attached Files:

• 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      297.4 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      339.9 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      263.3 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      248.9 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      273.2 KB
      Views:
  10. Mullins,
    If it were mine I would consider one of two directions to go with it. I am just thinking out loud here. You could mount the engine and reanny backwards and use a V-drive hung under the cab, or you could build a swing arm/trailing arm type of suspension for it with really long trailing arms and mount the engine tranny combo to the trailing arms with it hoked to the rear with a coupler. That way you don't have to worry about it binding up when the rear suspenson travels up and down.

Like I said just something to chew on.

11. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Heres the street rodder one, looks a bit sad here though [​IMG]

12. melsfine39

melsfine39

I've posted these a few times before. This is my friend Arts HOTWHEELS A100. Done in the style of the Little Red Wagon, but a rare 5 window cab. Running a 440 instead of a Hemi. The photos show the motor with a early Hilborn injection set-up, but has since been switched to a 8-71 blower. The wheelstand photo is from Milan Dragway when PINKS did a show there a couple of years ago. It was a quick shot but it made the TV show and a later highlight show. Mel:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  13. Mullins

Mullins

14. Mullins

Mullins

I had to yank the front bumper off and clean it up some more.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      307.2 KB
      Views:
  15. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

nice truck to start with on a cool project, good luck

16. tjmercury

tjmercury

That thing is sweet! I can't wait to see it when finished

17. Cool truck! I'll be following your build. I'm building a rear motored falcon. I'm running a v drive. Are you going to run it on the street?

18. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

heck- you're gonna need a hole in the floorboard to see where to steer :D

neat project!

so..... a 1410 double cardan joint coming off the back of the trans (slip shaft, right?) bolted to a flange on the pinion..... that would solve drivetrain issues. i know a guy who makes stuff like that BTW.....

so- two frame rails coming off of the axle to hold the drivetrain (so it doesn't bind) and the rails attached with links to the trucks frame or something?

19. radical flyer

radical flyer

Thats awsome i am building a ford econoline right now.i have the sub frame almost done and its coming along well.if you can post some pictures how you motor and trans is mounted and maybe i can be some help.stay in touch and will talk soon.wes

20. Mullins

Mullins

Wes, I checked your pictures out. Man you build some very cool stuff. Really nice work!!! Thanks, Rob

21. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

another idea is to take a transmission (like a T400) and (like an NP205) transfercase out of a 4x4 truck, and use the front driveshaft to run rear differential........ using the front axle out of the same truck :D

a dana 60 front axle with the tie rod seperated, and welded to the diff to lock the wheels straight (and allow alignment), would take abuse to no end- plus if you DO break an axle, 4340 or 300M axles are available for them pretty cheap.

22. Here's how Mopar did it back in the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Mullins

Mullins

AJmopar, that is perfect!!!! Thank you!!!!

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member