Register now to get rid of these ads!

wheels - changing/reversing centres ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by japchris, Dec 9, 2003.

1. japchris

japchris
    from England

I just bought a little T-Bucket project in UK and want to widen the rear track a little.
    Its got 4 stud 4 & 1/4 inch pcd Hillman Minx wheels which I'd like to alter the off set on.Å@I don't imagine there are any companys set up to make these from scratch.
    Banding wheeels to make them wider is illegal in UK so it might be difficult to find a firm willing to do that work.
    The other options I've thought of is having a precision engineers cut out the centre, reverse it and weld back in - Dangerous ? (not a high horsepower engine, 1500cc on skinny crossplys) - Or is it feesable to just put the wheel on backward with some sort of spacer between the wheel and brake drum to spread the load so its not all on the 4 little lips round the lug holes ?
    Or have I got the expense and hassle of finding and fitting another axle ?
    Limey - Didn't you have similar work done on your roadster's wheels ?

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thats what I did with the rear wheels of my roadster.
    I ended up using 4 wheels to make 2, I wanted more offset and a slightly wider rim.
    I guess I could have just drilled out the rivets, but I ground 2 rims down to save 2 centers, and 2 centers to save 2 rims.
    And then I Mig welded those together.

3. Bigums

Bigums
    from Lutz, FL

bobbleed did a kick-ass tech on just this topic.

I just found it in the tech-o-matic. Click here:

Reversing Wheels

Bob rules!

4. Mart

Mart

Chris, check my Pop buildup pages, I just made a pair with VW beetle rims, only slightly wider but lots more offset.
    Mart's web site
    here's the money shot:
    [​IMG]

Mart.

5. japchris

japchris
    from England

Thanks guys! The info and pics really help. Feel confident I can do it myself now.( I've got two spare Minx wheels if I do cock it up !)