Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel well tech, anyone interrested?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercMan1951, Feb 13, 2004.

1. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Hi all,

I am about to re-do the wheel wells on the ass end of the Linc/Merc project. Is there enough interest in people seeing this for me to photograph the steps/progress and post it as I go along? I'd do a start to finish deal in one post, assuming I can upload everything to starphoto and link in multiple pics.

If there aren't too many of you interrested in seeing it, it will be faster for me to just do it and be done. But I know from seeing the response I got whan I asked for rear wheel house ideas that there are at least 6 people out there who are in the same boat, or at least have some experience in what I am about to deal with...

I ended up buying the boat trailer fenders (as someone mentioned) from Northern Tools (like Harborfreight), out of sheer desire to get the task done quick, and my inability to ante up the bucks required to scrounge up some nice factory stampings from ANY manufacturer. They are nice pieces, I bought the largest ones, and they were plain steel, for $27 bucks a piece. Cheap. 16 Gauge non-painted steel. Easy to work with. Pre-formed lips and a backing plate.

Do the masses want a how-to on this?

Attached Files:

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Hell, those trailer wells are pretty universal...might even fit a 49 Chevy! [​IMG]

Let's see how it's done, Bro! [​IMG]

3. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

School Me. I'm interested. H

4. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Be forewarned...if I get enough interest, it may be a week or so (depending on my schedule) to get the post to the HAMB...I work alone, in my spare time, and lately that has been 1-2 hours AT MOST in the garage at night.

The car has been done in my head for several years now...too bad we can't have our minds work indepenent of our bodies.

Guess I should have put that in the original post.

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I work alone, in my spare time, and lately that has been 1-2 hours AT MOST

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, call in the Cavalry, Son!!! [​IMG]

(Ummm...your garage IS heated, isn't it??? [​IMG] [​IMG])

6. Yeah, I'm off for 2 more weeks, and since I can't lift anything over 25 oz, I mean pounds [​IMG] I'll hold the beers and the camera.

When ya want us over? [​IMG]

Jay

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Sat, 11-4, M-f 5:30 - 11pm [​IMG]

8. 30roadster

30roadster

please make the tech article!

9. gregg

gregg
    from Fulton IL

I'd like to see it.

10. Josh

Josh
    from So. IL

I am very interested! I have to do the same thing to my merc.
    What kind of shape is your rockers and floors in? Mine are shot.

11. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

The Merc's rockers and rear quarters (including wheelwells)were completely shot. I cut them out. But those that know what I am doing know I cut out a solid Mercury floor to graft the '51 body on to the Town Car chassis. So I'm not using the '51 Mercury flooring anymore. It's all '88 Lincoln Town Car. I ran into a problem with the rear wheel well area, the Lincoln ones wouldn't fit the body and the Mercury ones were too wasted to re-use.

I'll start taking pictures today. [​IMG]

12. Well, FatHack, MercMan and I spent about 3 hours doing some mock up work, and advanced MercMan so far he should be driving that Pig by March!!! [​IMG]

Just Kidding, but we did get some great mock up work done, he'll have the pix up later.

Jay

13. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Yeah...productive afternoon...not only did we find a Hardees in the area...we got the trailer tubs split and clamped into place, along with getting templates and patch panels cut.

That saw works good...but holding the wells while Kevin buzzed through 'em was like working a jackhammer for a few minutes...rattled the wax in my ears loose!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

It was fun guys...

I'll have the tech post up soon, as soon as I weed thru all the photos and upload them to starblvd...

I'll try and get at least one welded in this week to show all the process from start to finish. Probably the non-flammable side.

Thanks again for all the help!

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hell Yea !
    I'm interested!

16. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I'll try and have the post up by the end of the week. I'd like to finish one side up for a complete start to finish so all you guys can see. So far, this looks to be a project that could thee-o-rhetically be completed in one day!

Attached Files:

17. JSM56

JSM56

lets see it, i need bigger wells in the 56, trying to decide between new ones or modifying the stock ones.