Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel repair/chroming

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No_Respect, Apr 13, 2006.

1. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I own a set of Sears Robuck wheels from the 60's (see picture) the problem is they are steel rims on aluminum hubs/base that are rusted how do I chrome thm with out chroming the aluminum? Should I have both parts chromed? they are rivited on should i have the rims removed and chromed ? what would all this cost? [​IMG]

2. brandon

brandon

lillard on here ( bad to the bone) had a pair of cragars done at stockton ....turned out nice .....not sure on the price......brandon

3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Any one else have any info?

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

cragars(as far as i know) are not aluminum, i think they are generally a cast pot metal center with a steel rim.

the problem is that alum. and steel take different chroming processes, you are more or less out of luck. you could hit up hamber "polisher" and he would probably give you more insight into the problem.

5. Dugg

Dugg

Opinion No. 26: Since steel and aluminum require different processes, go for the rechroming of the steel and the aluminum won't get chromed in the process. Nor, do I think the aluminum will be damaged.

Opinion No. 13: Wheels were never made using pot metal.... TFW (too weak)

6. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

i have a set of radir's that need the rims rechromed
    i'm posting this to give the link, and shooting the thread to the top, so those who've used the service can chime in with feedback and price.

link: http://www.stocktonwheel.com/widen_straighten2.htm

7. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

well, you'd prb have to get the rivits drilled, then the centers could be removed and polished. chriming the rim would be about $100 each i'd guess. but the fun would be seeing the work and cost involved with mating the two back together...correctly.

8. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

true, that is the only way to do it... i'm kinda curious to get some feedback.
    specifically about stockton and their work.

9. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

Hey, No Respect - is that a picture of your own wheel? if so it looks pretty good to me. Put the worst one on the passenger rear...lol