Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel ID please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Nov 16, 2014.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416172885.752332.jpg

I just picked up my new to me 64) El Camino project, it has 3 of these wheels on it and I was wondering if they are the factory El Camino rim or from a truck. They are 15" not sure on the width guessing 5 or 6 pretty narrow. If somebody can please help with I.D. On these. I also need one more but can post a wanted add till I know what they are off of. Thanks in advance and hope the mods don't delete this thread

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. carlk60

carlk60

55-56 chevy car

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

X2..........but could possibly be a '54 model as well. I do see the little bumps on the bead flange that are common to '55/'56.......do not for sure they are on '54.

Ray

4. carlk60

carlk60

54 didnt have those bumps, 54 was 1 year only

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

So you guys are thinking 55-56 car? Anybody have one sitting around for sale?

6. brandon

brandon

Get a pair of custom offset 8's and have a spare

7. carlk60

carlk60

Yes 55-6 car. I believe corvettes used the same or VERY similar wheel till 62.

8. being a 15" it would be 55 150/210 (maybe even '56) because of the pin stripe. I sold a '55 belair that had four of them covered up with full wheel covers. Tim

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Who could
    I get to make a pair? Wheel Vintiques? Wouldn't I still need to send them 2? Or do you think they would have centers in stock
    To make a set?

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Well I was gonna post a wanted add for another wheel, but a thing popped up and said I didn't have enough permission to post and add. What the hell does that mean? Why does it have to be some damn difficult to use around here? Oh well, does anybody have one or a pair? Or who would you recommend to make a pair like my buddy Brandon suggested?

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The only truck wheel that would fit the 5 on 4 3/4 elky would be a S10 wheel.
    I had some extra 55 wheels laying around for a long time but I used what I had left on my last 55 I put together.
    Ive actually gave a few away over the past few years then had to buy one back to complete a set for that last 55.:rolleyes:

12. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I'd be willing to do some trading to get a good pair, or a complete set if anybody has any, or if somebody can tell me how I get enough permission to post a wanted add. Still don't know what the hell that's all about. Not like I just started posting yesterday..I have some 14x6 alu inum slots, and 15x3.5 Cragar front runners, big ford bp

13. On the deal about not being able to post: Make sure you are still logged in. I've had that happen . Tim

14. Squablow

Squablow

'55 wheels are riveted together and '56 are welded, I believe. Those look real clean too, I'd bet you could sell the three you have there for $100 each and buy a set of 4 15" steelies either new or used and come out money ahead. Not sure if that's what you'd want to do, just a suggestion. 55-56 wheels are hard to find in good shape and worth pretty good money to restorers who want to use stock hubcaps.

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The 3rd one isn't near as nice as the other 2, I will pop one off and see how it's constructed. I had no clue as to what they were when I first got it home, I thought they where possible El Camino, being 15" I was pretty sure they were not impala as I thought most of them where 14" and most of the early corvette stuff I am familiar with I thought didn't have the nubs on the bead flange. But like I said I wasn't 100%sure on anything other than I knew I wanted to find atleast one more, and maybe a pair if possible. I may sell them, but would really like to find atleast one more to have a full set, for the look I want for the time being. Although a set of original style Torque thrust D's with redlines might trip my trigger also.. I've got more time to put in on this one so wheels are not top top priority, so I will continue to hunt for a while, unless somebody really has to have them.... Thanks for the tip on how they are constructed to come closer to actually dating them.. That's a big help! I am also looking for a nice set of dog dish, poverty, comercial, whatever you wanna call them caps.

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Mine are riveted! And in real nice shape on the back side as well! I really think I'm just gonna keep on looking for a pair. Is there another rim similar to these only wider maybe 7"

17. A '64 Elky came with 14s.

I do agree with the masses that it is most likely a mid '50s Car rim. The stripe if it is original suggests that it is about a '54 but the color if original suggests a Tri 5 wheel.

18. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The strip appears to be original on both wheels, I had a 54 Bel -Air that was close in color.