Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel Hub For Dodge Straight Axle...Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pickled_asparagus, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

If anybody could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated! Doing the wheel bearings on my T-bucket has turned into quite the adventure. Removing the drum/bearings/races all when smoothly as expected until I went to clean the old grease out of the hub. I noticed that the inner bearing race spun inside the hub. I got new bearings/races for it referencing the numbers on the old ones but when I pounded the inner race in, it rattle around. There is a noticeable wear ridge from the old bearing race spinning in the hub. I the usual searching....Napa/Autozone/Advance/Google but can't seem to find anything. I figured somebody here has dealt with this stuff before. I was told the axle is from a 61-64 dodge van (not confirmed though). It is 4.5" pattern. I did a couple unsuccessful searches on here for another thread but couldn't seem to find anything either. Thanks for your time!

Pics of the hub/axle:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i think the easiest and cheapest thing at that point is buy new hubs. otherwise you might have to loctite it or JB WELD or solder it in.

3. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

Ya, that's the route I'm heading.....finding one is proving to be quite an issue.

4. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

back up for pete......anyone?

5. oldolds

oldolds

Try this guy. He is into A100's that might be where you axle is from.
    George T G, search members.

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

That sure doesn't look like a stock A-100 axle!
    The year span for these vans is 64-70 BTW.
    There are 2 sizes of brakes and spindles on them, 10 inch and 11 inch. Seeing that your drum has discard at 11.090, I'd say it's the 11 inch brakes.
    They may also be called 2200# axle and 2500# axle.
    I don't have a ready source for them, sorry.
    They do require that you cut the swedges off the drum, then press out the studs. Trying to press out the studs through the hub and drum results in ruined parts.

7. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

As stated in #1 post, it is not confirmed that it is a stock A-100 axle, we are not sure? From what we can tell is that the spindel/drum/hub is 61-64 dodge van..... (cliffy feel free to jump in at any time) RodStRace... thanks for info, iam sure someone on our great HAMB can i.d. this stuff for sure and give Peter or myself some idea of where to locate a new/used hub or a good way of repairing what we have..... thanks for your time guys

8. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Chrysler was famous for using parts that interchanged. If you can find someone with a truck parts book, look up the number for the hub. Then go to the car parts books and see if the cars may have used the same part # for the hub. If so, it will make your search several hundred % easier. I think the A100s came out in 64. It is possible that your axle came from a 50s or 60s pickup or panel truck instead. I have discovered that a lot of stuff interchanges from the early 50s to the mid/late 60s on 1/2 ton trucks. Good luck:)
    (I have a 64 Mopar car parts manual, but not one for the trucks, if you find a truck part#.)

9. 69fury

69fury

10. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

cool great idea thanks! My front end is from a 63 Ford E-van, looking at the drum/hubs of my car it makes sence that you say chrysler stuff would interchange, they look very much the same and i know mine is E-van stuff. it could be the axle in petes car is from the late 50's with mid 60's brakes?

11. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Peen the inner area and use bearing loctite. If you know a machinist, he may have an ID knurlering tool, which will be easier than peening.

12. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

(Forgive the dumb question--) So if I do located a separate hub, by "swedges" do you mean I need to cut/grind off the back of the studs when I press them out?

I I went ahead and posted the pics on vintagevans.com too. Once again, thanks for the the suggestions everyone! Figuring out what I'm actually looking for is half the battle!

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

You can see these on the one stud in your picture.

The studs are pressed into the hub from the back, a very tight pressing.
    Next, the drum is placed over the studs on the front, and then the drum is swedged on the front, locking the drum on the studs (and hub).
    If you try to press the studs out the back, the drum is still locked on the studs and it ends up bending the hub.
    You can use a hole saw or cutoff wheel to reach around the base of the stud and remove the parts of the drum that are pressed into the stud. You need to remove the drum before the studs are pressed out of the hub. Since you are replacing the hub, you are better off getting new studs and a drum too.

Attached Files:

• drum.jpg
      drum.jpg
      File size:
      94.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

Well I found out it was an axle from 59-64 dodge d100 pickup...one of the guys over at vintage vans posted a scan from a shop manual. I'm relieved it's more common than I thought. I called a junkyard and they have one that I'm picking up tomorrow. Thanks for your help and suggestions! Nice to have somewhere to turn to!

15. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

16. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

Love you too sweetie....

17. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

I just took a vintage set of Halibrand spindle mount wheels to my local machine shop since the same thing happened to one of my wheels. The hub on my wheels is all one piece with the wheel. Mine got hollowed out since some joker back in the 60's forgot to tighten a bearing. I had him bore out the hub a tiny bit, then press fit (interference fit) an thin sleeve into the wheel hub, then he bored it to size and then finally press-fit the new bearing race into the wheel. It's working great so far. It cost me $120 total to have that done. Worth it in my opinion.

Also, I would highly discourage anyone from knurling (or raising the internal surface with a punch) on a hub surface to get a bearing race to stay seated. If you hit a big enough bump often enough, something's going to give eventually since there are tiny air pockets in between the hub and race. Those things should have a nice tight, solid, fit. Locktite on top of an interference fit is a good idea too, extra insurance.