Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheel color, thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

So I have a set of steel wheels that I widend by putting 8" hoops on them. I am going to mount slicks on them but am torn on what color to paint them. I am thinking either, Black, silver, or the same blue color as the car. I will only run these at the dragstrip, the chrome reverse will stay on the front.

Attached Files:

2. I always liked the 1/2 in 1/2 paint they used on the drag cars of the 60's I think they would look killer on your car Jim

3. Nice car!
    Because you asked, I would paint them body color.

4. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I would do silver for looks... But since your only using them on the strip I would do black, helps to cover all the rubber...

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Man, I'm a big fan of those post cars, especially '62s. Very nice example you have there (more pics!). You can't go wrong with any of your color choices. Myself, I'd go black. Just looks more business like to me. Black or white were both popular with weekenders of the era, for their track only slick tars.:D

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. metalman

metalman

I wouldn't go silver since you have the chrome on the front, the silver would look "cheap" like a wanta-be chrome wheel. Personally I'd go black, I think that would be most appropriate for what your doing.

7. metalman

metalman

slowmotion has a good choice as well, white would look good and fit the theme.

8. Painted wheels are cool but i like the chrome reverse as well. It's typical of the back in the day. Blue or cream would be nice as well

9. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I'd go with black and white in quarters or blue and white the same way.
    looks good and works good as well.
    Makes tire spin very easy to pick up.
    pete

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Ya, the chrome reverse will stay on for the street. I should have mentioned that the wheels I am going to paint are stock steel centers with 8 in hoops. I kinda thought that black would kinda disappear with the black tires, but it would look more business. I never thought about white or cream, hmmm....

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Where are your rear (chrome) wheels from btw. I'd like to file that info for future reference. Width & backspace too, if ya don't mind.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

real nice ride - need more pics & details - would go with white rims

13. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Definitely go with a gloss black wheel for the rear with the slicks mounted.

14. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

The chrome reverse rears are wheel vintiques 15 by 10s with (if I remember right) 5.5 backspacing. The offset was "custom" as the ones the sell have 4.5 backspace. The car has a (yawn) 350 with an old tm-1 intake, 750 AFB, and a pretty lumpy cam thet has been passed around between my and my buddies. We call it a 7/8s cam, between a 3/4 race and a full race. Prolly more cam than it needs but sure sounds cool! I have a cast iron T-10 with liberty proshifted gears. Had a driveshaft made with the slipyolk and heavy cast aluminum hanger bearing. And a ford 9" with 3.70s. I also have a centersection with 4.30s and a spool I may put in. Not quite done with the interior, just need the seats done. I have the material, just need to sweet talk the wife into doing them for me.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Cool car!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449428922.848868.jpg
    Here's my '62
    I would go half black, half white. Love that look

16. verde742

verde742

1/4 Black/ rest of wheel white, a look I like. O race cars.. watch wheels spin, looks fast. !!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Thanks for the info. I never dreamed a 10" wheel would fit under there. Stock wheel well?

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

PURPLE!

dad-bud likes this.
  19. Have a look at some options

black.jpg Blue 2.jpg bw.jpg

20. Nice job moose

If its just for slicks its gotta be this

image.jpg

21. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

WOW themoose!!! That's WAY COOL!!!! Thanks!!!! Black was probably last on my list, but now I'm starting to like black best.

22. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Slowmotion... Yes it is stock wheel wells. These cars originaly ren the exhaust between the back of the tire and the outside of the frame. If you can see in the picture, I ran the exhaust out infront of the back tire, gives you LOTS of room. My rear tires on there in the picture are 295/50s and there is still room on the backside. It would be possible to have a custom wheel made, maybe 11 or 12 with more backspacing and get a wider tire in there. But that's lots more $$$.

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

black or buy 2 more chrome ones for the extras.

24. In, that case, black & white is the right answer.
    white noise.jpg

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

I think Moose's efforts confirm, black is hard to beat. Especially if occasional street duty is in the cards.

Thanks again for the info on the wheelwells & rims.

26. indyjps

indyjps

Just for slicks, gloss black, since you're keeping the fronts chrome reverse. Black and white in 1/4's is a good vintage look as well.

Body color looks good, but you almost need a cap with it, and you won't be running a cap at the track.

27. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Ya, after seeing the photoshop, I'm realy digging the black!!!

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went silver on my drag rims, I think they fit the look on my olds (its a little OT for the HAMB). I like the black ones though on your car to be honest after seeing the photoshop.

Bills iphone 728.JPG

29. Boatmark

Boatmark

I'd go white or black, in that order.
    Nice car!

30. dad-bud

dad-bud

I just love these "What's your opinion" threads.
    Sadly, all the good options have already been taken, so I'll just have to agree with others and say if it's not black and white in quarters, then black seems the best.
    Neat looking 62. On the street, I'd be running body colour wheels with dog-dish poverty caps, but I get the chrome wheel thing too.
    Cheers.