Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects wheel backspacing question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coody, Apr 13, 2018.

1. coody

coody

took fab 32's advice on how to get your width on a rear end. I have a 31 model a sedan with fenders. I cut the wheel well out so I can tub it.Everything I have read here I have decided to go with 235/70/15" for the tires. I have 12" total from outer fender to body frame. I am looking at just bare steelies but what back spacing would you use to get a good look? once I get this combo then I can set the wheels under the fenders and then measure for my width for my rear end. Outside of the back spacing am I missing anything? On the front I have disc brakes,4" drop axle. Don't know what size & width to fit under the front fenders. I enjoy reading the post and replies. I wish I found hamb before starting this project. but I learn a lot here. thanks again!!! coody

2. I use a flat stick, angle iron, etc., clamped to the mounting face of the hub on one of the studs...... approximately the radius of the tire...... held with lug nut and washer...... at a perfect 90 degrees...... right after breakfast. :rolleyes:
    From there, I can measure and figure out all the centers, widths, offsets, back space, tire bulge, gaps, etc.

coody likes this.
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

coody -

First you need to verify a wheel width. An 8" wide rim would be a max. width to use with a 235/70 x 15 tire.
    So with an 8" wheel, I'd say a 3" to 4" backspace would look good. Too close to the center, they don't look that good. Too deep, and the strength of the center and the weld (rim to center) itself come into play. You don't want too much offset or the wheel (as an assembly) will bend as it rotates.
    Whoever you have make or buy from, have them put the centers somewhere between 3" and 4" offset, (3" or 3.5" will look better).
    Remember to keep the tire as close to the center of the fender arch (as seen from the rear) as possible for the best look and inner fender clearance.

As another poster mentioned, as far as front to rear "track" (not wheelbase ! ) width. For what you are doing, don't be too concerned about that. As long as you make the wheels "fit" the cars fender locations, you'll be fine. Beside, for the best handling, a wider front track vs. the rear will serve you best. An inch or two track difference will not hurt anything.

Have fun.

Mike

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I would like to think this is common knowledge but it's not entirely true.
    From the "in case you didn't know file" wheel width callouts are based on the dimension between the bead seating lips. As for overall width there will be variations between wheel styles such as aluminum and steel as well as between cast and aluminum wheels with formed hoops.
    For fendered cars where every 1/4" (may) matter knowing exactly what your buying will make the difference between "go or no go".
    This especially can get a person in trouble when buying wheels from someone that doesn't know the common nomenclature ( I know that's not a word commonly used around here).
    Case in point; a friend of mine bought a set of used wheels at a swap meet and took the sellers word on their width (miscommunication), besides, who goes to a swap meet without a tape measure. Had to add them to the next swap meet pile to sell.
    Another thing to keep in mind is tire sidewall bulge. If buying wheels with tires included with plans to change tires don't assume the new installed dimensions will be the same.
    This diagram may clear a few things up for those that need clarification.

[​IMG]

5. coody

coody

Mike on the track width. If am running 235's on the rear the I can run 225,215's on the front? I will stick with the 3-3.5" off set. On the model A front fenders you think I can run 15"s also? I see more 14's but thinking they do that for the rake/stanch there looking for.

6. coody

coody

DDD- good point on the bulge. Didn't think about that.I have I site that you can put in all your info of your wheel/tire that you want to use and it will give you the above measurements. But its good to get the actual size of the tire to be more accurate. Coody

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran 195 14 on the front an 255 60 15 on the rear for years with no adverse issues. The guy who says you have to have same size tires on all four corners is a bullshit artist.
    It's still wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface, back spacing and rim width to make it fit and look right and go from there. Simply meaning that as far as you go:: your axle is XX wide wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface you have YY space from inner fender well to inner fender well. You have ZZ space from safely inside the fender lip to safely inside the fender lip. Now it comes down to back spacing and wheel width plus tire width to fit and look right.
    Add to that not one frigging one of us knows the answer except the guy laying under the car with the tape measure and note pad.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. coody

coody

Am with you on this!!! thinking of taping three stir sticks together and put them on the inside of the outer fender & sub rail and get that measurement. That will get me my width for starters.3.5" offset on a 8" rim with 235/70/15.That should give me 9.6"s.That should fill in the fender. Just need to figure out the front now. Its a 4 " drop axle,disc brakes, four bar set up. Then I will be on my way thanks