Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the worst thing you ran over with a Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

A twizzler! Apparently it was thrown from another vehicle in the opposite direction, then hit me in the face, across my eye, cheek and lips. My passenger couldn't stop laughing. I was not amuzed, as my lip was bleeding and my face was swelling up. I had a very distinctive bruise on my face for about a week. If you saw it you would have asked "Did you get hit by a twizzler at 45mph?" I must have seen some humor though because I DID take a bite...

I once fired up my truck and there was a thud from under the hood. A couple minutes later the fowl odor came. Under the hood was a perfect line of red and green, down the fender and up the other side. A frog had taken refuge in the belt.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. Deuces

Deuces

I never felt sorry for a crack or meth head...

3. Deuces

Deuces

Makes me wonder why people need to go that fast on a highway... :rolleyes:

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I was on my way to the swap meet at the Arlington swap meet in the dark one morning and the lane I was in stopped with a concrete curb dead center. I was running fast in my 57 chevy and as soon as I saw the curb, I jerked the wheel to the left. That was a good thing. Instead of knocking the engine up thru the hood, I only blew out both tires on the right side, bent the rims, and bent a lot of steering components. I put the spare on the front and drove slowly on the rear flat about 2 miles to the swap meet, bought a tire on a rim with air and some steering parts. It was enough to get me 200 miles back home where I found that the new (two weeks old) balljoint tapered stud was stretched an inch, the idler arm was bent,and the A-frame had to be replaced

5. Deuces

Deuces

It figures....

6. Deuces

Deuces

Wasn't there a kid who did the same thing a few months back and went to the slammer for it????....:rolleyes:

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Not me, my friend Sam. He lived way out in the country and was headed home late one night, two lane road. He saw headlights coming toward him then they suddenly went out. He slowed down and as he got closer he could see a car stopped in the road with the front all smashed, headlites broken, hood bent double. He got out and walked over, no driver! There was a woman sitting up in the backseat right behind the drivers seat. He asked if she was all right and what happened? She kept asking him what happened. Eventually he got a flashlight and looked until he found a big black cow dead in the ditch.
    She had been driving.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  8. Deuces

Deuces

.... Or a royal ass kicking....

9. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Damn, that sounds like one of those "I wish I could have recorded it" moments!

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

and the railroad tie that slid out of my truck one dark night with a car coming up behind me

11. Driving on 101 near San Jose in my VW bug. Car in front of me suddenly swerved and here is this refrigerator carton standing upright directly in front of me. Thought "Oh God, I'm gonna die" Hit it doing about 55 and it just disintregrated. Yeah, it was empty. After I pulled over and stopped shaking I found nothing wrong with the bug except some scratches (smudges actually) and a bent license plate. No, believe it or not I didn't shit my pants.

12. historynw

historynw

My 90 yr old drove through the garage and hit my 47 Chevy, I had conviently put a concrete parking lot stop in front of the car so he wouldn't hit the back wall of the garage yrs ago. He hit the car so hard he drove it out the back wall of the garage. I heard this God awfull sound and when I went to the garage he was using the garage door opener luckly I was able to stop it before the door ran across the roof. My car need a new rear bumper and gravel pan the front grill was shot. I had to get a new door and we had to rebuild the back wall. He stopped driving after that. Sad thing was the car took out the last two rocking chairs from my grandmothers porch I had put in front of the car for repairs. Insurance paid for everything.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

My next door neighbor had a yappy dog that ran out to the street at cars. I saw the dog get hit three times. He rolled out from under the car and ran back to his yard every time!

14. A big freaking crack about eight inches wide in the concrete on I 5 while driving to Billet proof a few years back. knocked the hub caps off my car and sent me aorborn, thought I was a gonner.

15. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

I had a cow elk hit my 59 GMC one night after work. I saw her head hit the corner of the passenger side windshield. Tore the mirror off, dented the front corner of the rear fender. The dent looked like a baseball hit it. the rear tires broke both of her front legs. I stopped and watched her hobble away in 3 feet of snow. Drove a mile to the cop shop and told them where she went so they could finish her off. I had night tremors for a week.

16. I came within a gnats arse of clipping a deer last night in the deuce pickup,I saw one come out of the woods and dart across the road,then another one.

I lifted off the gas and here came another...:eek:

I got back on the gas and here comes a big buck obviously chasing the three does,he jumped over the front of the pickup missing the windshield by about a foot and a half...fortunately I was lucky. HRP

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Worst mess was a possum that ran out in front of me and got decapitated by my straight axle. Lots of blood and fuzz to clean off the undercarriage.
    Then there was the time I was following a farmer in rural area at about 55 mph when his hay trailer spit one rear tire and wheel off! I had little time to react and drove over the tire/wheel with my right front wheel! I pulled over immediately to check my vehicle, and surprised to find nothing hurt. What really surprised me was the guy didn't even slow down! He kept driving down the highway, and after stopping to check my car I never did catch up to him again!

18. Airwolf

Airwolf

Hit a dead squirrel with my 69 Vette middle of June. Got home, checked out the front end and it looked fine. Parked it in the garage and went on vacation for 2 weeks. Came back, opened the garage door, the smell and flies were enough to make me stagger back. Come to find out, the squirrel flipped up into the inside of the front valance and lodged into the headlamp linkage assembly.

19. wsdad

wsdad

What's the worst thing I've ran over in a hot rod?

[​IMG]
    'Haven't really noticed.

20. desotot

desotot

I ran over a racoon with my 27 roadster pickup, fortunatly no damage,,,and NO, I did not go back to get the tail.

21. A big ass 1/2 inch steel bracket about a foot long that must have fallen off something just previously. It flew up and dented my header and dented it rite at the first port bend. If it hadn't of hit there it prolly woulda killer my brother riding shotgun!

22. big bad john

big bad john

My grandson toy truck

23. Going west on Interstate 8 (at about 80 mph) coming out of El Cajon, California.......and there right in front of me was a broken mag wheel standing on edge! The rim part was missing and all there was left was the center spoke section sitting up like a table saw blade. I tried to avoid it, but all I could do was steer the car so that the "saw blade" did not hit my oil pan or steering. I could feel the spokes as they tore holes into my floor pan under my feet. My leg flew up off of the floor from the impact, I slammed on the binders and pulled to the side of the freeway. All I saw in my rearview mirror was a cloud of disintegrating mag material. The guy in the '66 Mustang behind me thought I blew my engine sky high. He stopped, too and asked if everything was alright. I checked out my car top and bottom and except for the holes in my floor that were made by the spokes, all was fine. I changed my underwear when I got home.

24. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

FAMILY CAT! forward and back 'eek'--- broken hip area, --the vet said to leave him alone in a room and he will be OK? - 3weeks later he was walking!
    VET SAID 'CATS HAVE 9 LIVES! -- HE LIVED TO 21 YRS!

25. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

with 4 of us in my buddys barnfind beater [32 ford 4dr.] in boonies hurrying back to garage at sundown discovered lights went out when applying brakes! came upon a 'T' in road, brakes no bueno, lites OUT,and engine stops, slid around the corner 'almost' ran over the sign!---found brake petal hit battery cable and shorted everything out! and many more escapes!! baknthday! 'always checkout your barnfinds'

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  26. Red Weaver

Red Weaver

One thing about all this-- what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger and makes a good story.

27. Red Weaver

Red Weaver

Coming north on I5 out of Portland in the 26T touring tub the motorhome withGreat Big Hubcabs launched one of those hubcaps off a right rear wheel and it came rolling down the road toward us , we dodged, it dodged, we dodged again ( you have no idea how those things can wander in the traffic lane) we missed, guy behind us wasn't so lucky. Having been taken out by a truck tire in the past, it was an upholstery sucking situation.

28. burnout2614

burnout2614

The worst had to be the broken leaf spring pieces. Those things become spinning helicopter blades when you hit em! peace

29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

One of my kids kittens.....that was tough! Ran over a huge turtle once. caught it with one of the flowmasters. Really stunk up the car.

30. When I drove a truck in Florida I had stayed at a party too long and was quite heading in to work trying to wake up Lived in the out skirts of Orlando out by Christmas Florida YES there is a town called that !A lot of homeless people live hung out under the over passes on the express way and I was hauling ass {80or 85}in my 70 cutlass and BAMM, I hit something, the front of the car went skyward and then slammed back down with a bone jarring thud i slammed on the brakes saying oh god what the hell did I hit? Please don't let it be a homeless person .I had to back up quite aways . I told you I was going fast and it was pitch dark about 4 30 in the morning lol. I got out with a flash light and my legs shaking and when back to a lump laying in the road .Boy was I lucky it was a huge gator crossing the highway and no one was gonna make any shoes what I had left of him. Tore my front valance panel off and kinda screw up me bumper but the car was still good . I was so happy I hadn't killed some one I sure was awake and really happy the rest of the day. True story , you cant make this crap up. I sure did have a stiff drink after getting home that night after work. Bruce.. Its a lot calmer here in East T.N.