Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Whats the thoughts on a duel res. master cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Aug 4, 2018.

1. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

After the incident I mentioned a page or so ago with the single failing I bid (and missed out) on a vintage MC fluid level warning light. basically a pressure switch mounted in the cap with a light I guess. Turns on when the fluid is low letting the lazy driver know he best add a bit of brake fluid.

BAD ROD likes this.
  2. Brake failure cost me an opportunity to get my first car. When I was 14 or so, we were coming home from church (about an eight-block drive) when the brakes went out on our '53 Willys Aero Ace hardtop. Most of the trip was on a flat boulevard, but the last block was down hill, and so was our driveway once we turned into it. Scared the hell out of my mom, and I know my dad was worried, too. We made it home safely. Within weeks, my dad bought a '62 Valiant stationwagon, and within the year let me overhaul the Willys. I was hoping to get it when I turned 16, but the brake failure thing so affected my mom that she nixed the deal. Dad sold the Willys. I was bummed.

Truck64 and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So in other words...mom put the brakes on the deal. :cool: Good story, thanks for posting it.

I have hesitated to post on this thread but I will say this, don't encourage people to do stupid stuff. If you want to run a fruit jar, do it right and be safe. But watch the advice we give the masses. Some of you on here have enough pull to take the whole herd of lemurs with you over the cliff.

4. That's a good idea for the times when everything works well without serious leaks, but with a single-circuit system there will possibly come a day when something leaks big or fails, then the warning light lighting up will be simultaneous with the sudden desperate need for a fall back position that just isn't there..
    That's great to have a warning light on a dual system.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

osage orange likes this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

That's an interesting point.

I've noticed that a lot of folks like to read about my adventures, and how I do things...but I don't see them actually getting off their duffs and imitating me.

So yeah, leave the old fashioned single pot master cylinders to the few idiots who like to live dangerously. Put a dual on everything you own, Better safe than sorry. You probably won't have my luck!

(but also, be sure to do the open bleeder test, to make sure the dual master cylinder is doing it's job)

osage orange and Truck64 like this.
  6. I've had/seen failures on both types of systems, and if you think a dual-reservoir system is going to save your bacon you're sadly mistaken. It might give you enough brakes to slowly stop in a non-emergency situation, but I wouldn't bet any money on it. In an emergency or traffic, you're probably going to hit something. I'd put far more faith in a properly-functioning hand brake.

It was a well-intentioned idea, but falls short of being a viable 'alternative'...

Truck64 likes this.
  7. shit happens no matter how "advanced" the technology. maybe simpler, easier to check and maintain is safer? my wife's former daily, a honda crv dual master with 4 wheel power disc and antilock, at the 50,301 mark [note: just out of warrantee] lost the brakes, pedal went right to the floor. antilock decided to anti stop.................wish i had a simple fruit jar master then................

Fitty Toomuch and Truck64 like this.