Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats the story on Handheld planishing hammers the unicorn of tools Walray rams head Milwaukee barre

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by continentaljohn, May 22, 2022.

1. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Well what’s the story on these cool old bodywork metal finishing tools who’s using them and how and what tooling ? I just love old tools and feel they have experience and good juju. So I see guys doing incredible metalwork and most of them have planishing hammers. I did notice they also had the handheld ones doing big panels on the cars. I figured this would be fantastic to metal finish a roof insert. Now I thought that’s cool I will have to get one and try it out. Well I found out that old American ones are unicorns and just don’t see them . Now I am thinking maybe this wasn’t popular back in the day or guys just hoard them lol. I see a number of manufacturer’s like Ramshead Milwaukee Barre CP watervilet and Walray. I just don’t see them at swapmeets period.
    I am looking for information on a old c frame Walray air planishing hammer or tools. I see the beautiful ones that the tin man’s website but those are new and not a lot of info. 9E98D1C5-750E-4B67-9656-11520707163B.jpeg 11AF0A32-83E1-4119-876F-2A21C62683D3.jpeg EFF5A29D-99D9-4F9C-B881-FF49BFE92B30.jpeg 43EFCE97-8EAD-4FC8-8BAC-F3EB7FEBB3B0.jpeg 3D541A5F-25FF-49ED-9870-D469C3043AF6.jpeg

Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I have an original Milwaukee planishing hammer. I have some hoops , but no tooling.

continentaljohn likes this.
  3. Those things are awesome. The boss had a Watervleit at the shop I worked at. Early Ford fenders got a lot of attention with it

4. mickeyc

mickeyc

Check out the u tube videos called "make it custom"
    or Japhands web site. The fellow builds and sells hand held planishing
    hammers. Look interesting.

5. Seems to be a fair number of the old ones out there and they come up for sale on a fairly regular basis but not in places like swap meets or eBay. Usually just guys throwing them up on their Instagram pages etc. They usually go for very good money and don't seem to last for long. If I could justify the $2000- $3000 to spend on one, which seems to be about the going rate, I would probably just buy a new one.

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have one, a very heavy tool, can be awkward at times. you should wear hearing protection while using them.

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic things. I cobbled one together using the bones of a cheapo Harbour Freight plannishing hammer, junking most of the frame, and making a round tube frame, mitred joints so no bending required, strengthened with flatbar. Works great.
    I can also bolt it to something solid, I used my upright press, when using it not handheld. Two in one too.

Chris

alanp561 and continentaljohn like this.
  8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@linechaser32 Does the mounting look like the one we have? So the plan is to make some tooling for it and hope someone can post some pictures of them.

@Tman i can see the planishing hammer working great on fenders . It makes sense as the old timer I got it from was a ford restorer and letting go his collection. Do you get to play with it?

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@mickeyc cool thanks I will check it out

@K13 this is the first time I see one for sale and knew the guy who had it. I did see a buddy buy one a few years back at the swap but has been sitting in collection of dust since lol.
    I don’t get on Instagram anymore and should check it out as lots of talented folks on it. I would have passed it was in the 2-3k range as I just want to play with it a bit and then it will probably collect dust.

10. I used it some when I worked there. Never had much for personal projects that required much use of it. We also used it a lot when adding filler panels to chops, like on 50s cars

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got pics?

12. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

The mounting looks similar.

13. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Tinmans garage sells the tooling.

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Dave Mc It is pretty heavy with the small c frame and the big frame make it even heavier lol. Oh yeah this baby make noise like a air hammer on steroids.

@Happydaze I starting building one before I got this one using a old rivet machine. It more like a standing CP using a riveting gun 7x I believe. I just need it for making a u style shape. I didn’t finish it because I picked up a punchpress to do the job.

Dave Mc likes this.
  15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@linechaser32 not a lot of info on tin man’s website and the bottom or pin on the c frame is a .500 ball. So I will pick up some tool steel this week . I will make some dies up out of O-1 or A2 so I can harden it right away. I did turn one up out of cold rolled steel to see if fit is good. I also put a spring loaded ball bearing to hold the die on the C frame.
    I wonder how the top die is fitted to the planishing head. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Tman likes this.
  16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I checked out a few pictures of ramshead planishing and seem it has the same upper mount does anyone have one or pictures. I want to machine up some dies

17. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here 'ya go! All hf stuff except the tube & flatbar, that I've neglected to paint!

Please excuse the socks with flip-flops, not a good look, but never seen in public!

Chris
    20220524_155954.jpg

ekimneirbo likes this.
  18. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Have you thought about trying a dolley held behind a panel and then the air tool simply held in your hand? I have to wonder if the weight of the complete frame and air tool would not make it difficult to work with. Of course as I have gotten older, things have gotten heavier........:D But seriously, why not try just rivet gun as they come in different sizes (1x,2x,etc) and you can control the hit better than with an air chisel type gun. Get an old panel/fender and give it a try.:)