Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the most you made parting somthing out??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bb1970, Jul 2, 2010.

1. bb1970

bb1970

I parted a P.O.S. Suburban. Got about $1800 total off of it in 3 weeks of Craigslist ads. Lot's of beer money there!! :D

2. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I've parted out a lot of old Ford trucks out over the years. The best one was the time a guy came into my shop wondering if I was interested in any old Ford truck parts. I don't work in the auto field but I occationally take my truck to work and that day I had it in the parking lot and the guy must have seen it so he just stopped in. He had the parts in a storage area at the business he and some other partners owned. He and his partners had a falling out and they disbanded the company and he had to get rid of his parts. I bought everthing for $500 and sold it all within a week for $2000. Not bad for a weeks worth of work.

My last experience I didn't really make a lot of money but I got a lot of parts I needed for my '37 Buick Special. I found a '37 Buick Limited on Craigslist for $150, $60 in gas and a day doing something I like doing, dragging old iron home, and I had the car. 99% of the parts from the Limited wouldn't work on my Special because even though they are from the same manufacturer and same year of production almost nothing is interchangeable. I was, however, able to find someone who wanted the Limited parts and who had all of the parts I needed for my Special. After spending about 15 hours and $40 worth of cutting gas I had all of the useable parts from the Limited. I ended up getting four very solid doors, two headlights (big bullet types), recored radiator, factory heater, rear torque tube axle, bumpers and some trim pieces. I figure I got at least a $1000 worth of parts. On top of this I also sold the shocks for $60, the jump seats for $25 and $100 for scrap.

3. James427

James427
    BANNED

I parted out a 1970 Dodge Challenger that had the rear body panel cut out of it but the rest was there and solid (green on green 318 auto car) for just over $7,000. Every little part on an e-b0dy is sellable and brings good money.

4. knotheads

knotheads

i bought a 1964 chevy nova wagon one time for 50 bucks drug it home on a monday morning . my son pulled a few pieces he needed for his nova convertable. i ran a bring your own tools ad in the recycler paper. that saturday i stood out in my driveway and collected 450 dollars from different people that showed up .layed the remains in 4 pieces with a air chiesel and the scrap guy picked up the remains that evening.

5. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I bought a complete 37 Lincoln Zephyr sedan out of Texas a few years back. Paid $1750.00 for the car plus shipping. Pulled the V-12 and did the ebay thing. Sold for $3500.00 and another $850.00 for the taillights. I must have made close to 10k on that car. I learned from a fellow years ago that the sum of the parts are worth way more than the whole of the car. Or something like that.:D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  6. In 1975 I bought a '65 Mustang fastback, locked/blownup 6 cylinder stick, paid $35 (scrap price at the time) for it. Sold the tranny $25. Doors - $25. Seats - $25. Carcass went to the boneyard - $0.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what they made on it but in fall of 72 my neighbor convinced his boss at the wrecking yard where he worked to buy a new 73 Chev C-10 and part it out. In about three days they had sold just about every piece of the truck except a batch of pieces that would fit in a wheelbarrow. It worked because they bought the truck the first day the 73's were available and put it up on the listings then and there and there were no crash parts available for the new trucks at the dealers.
    I never seem to come out ahead on those parting out deals but I have done a lot of serious trading and come out that way.

The most comical deal I ever did was when I towed a 55 Buick Super to a wrecking yard after I had pulled the engine for my 55 Special with the old engine out of the Special in the trunk and a week later had to go back an buy back one of the pulleys off the engine. My dad laughed for weeks over that one.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I parted out a 4x4 van that I got for free, made about $1600. Narrowed the front axle and put it in my 4x4 rig, traded the engine/trans/transfer case for 1929 Closed Cab Model A Pickup sheet metal.

So the profit was infinity, and beyond.

9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tripled my money in one afternoon on a VW. $1000 profit was a lot for a high school kid!

10. Bought an old sprint car that was being used for display in an auto accessories store in West Edmonton Mall. Walked by that car many times but never thought much of it until a buddy of mine mentioned he had an old sprint car for sale and was I interested? Turned out to be the same car - no engine but had a complete Halibrand Champ qc, CAE in/out box, Schroeder manual steering box, front axle, brakes, torsion bars/arms/stops, fuel bladder, motor plate, seat, body, wing, etc. Bought it for $1500 Canadian (delivered!), parted it out for something like $5000 US.

Steve

11. 1939 Merc tudor sedan, parted it out here on the HAMB

complete dash went to TX, front clip to CA, Wheels/caps to WA, misc pieces all across the midwest, still have the garnish molding hanging on the wall, and the carcass traded for credit to a local salvage yard... car cost me $250 and a case of bud light to borrow the trailer

12. paid $50 for a 53' Desoto, made almost $4000 on the parts!

13. I almost never part them out, but I've done about as well selling them whole; the best one is probably the '53 Buick Skylark. I paid $150 for what was left of it, sold it once for $2600 and again two years later for $1300 when the original buyer from Australia apparently got eaten by dingoes. The local guy who ended up with it combined parts from about three of them and the last I heard had a body primed and ready to paint -

Once you part them out, that's one less car out there, and with the listings on eBay I get so many clowns who expect you to sell them like the two or three key pieces off a running car because all they see is their own needs and act like a 3 year old who's mommy told them they can't have a cookie when you say no... I don't want to help those pricks. It's not usually even worth my time to spend $40 on gas and a day's time to go out to where the cars are to spend half the day pulling some part someone only wants to give me $20 for anyways.

14. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I'd like to thank everyone for your input.
    I work for the Income Tax dept. and will send someone around to do an audit.
    :eek:

just kidding:D

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Most fun was the 1976 HURST/Olds I took in part trade for carpentry work. Guy drove it to my house, tried for a month to sell it for $500.00, just got tire kickers. A Saws-All and a fresh blade and some wrench time got me @$2,500. The fun part was answering all the questions about were the parts came from. Told them I quarted a car. They really got pissed that I cut up a car. I told every one they could have driven it home for $500. and what parts did they want now?:)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  16. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

53 Vette pulled out of the woods..Paid 1200 with title SOLD 10500. in 1 week
    55 1st gmc pickup paid 1200. SOLD for 9500. 2 months.
    59 panhead 1500. sold for 5500 in 10 months.
    VW ghia 2000. 5 months 5000.
    90 ford super coupe paid 1000. sold 1 year later 8500.
    I do this for a living and DO NOT USE CRAIG SHIT OR EGAY.
    37 Cord parts free...sold 9000. worth of parts.
    Paid taxes on all of it..why not if you can make cash.
    Best thing to do is keep around 20k in cash around at xmas time. you will be able to buy any damn thing you want for 5 cents on the dollar.
    Now the AKs...... shit forget that deal.

17. Deuces

Deuces

About 1500 bucks parting out a '69 Camaro SS 396 car... The body an' chassis was pretty wiped out from cancer.. I only paid about 600 for it. Sold the M-22 for 400 to a dude with a '66 Vette roadster, The 12-bolt with 3.31's or 3.36 gears was sold to my buddy who bought my first car in '78.. A '68 Camaro drop top. And some other odd n' ends were sold to other folks... That's when I gave up trying to restore those cars... Then it was a string of Novas I had with some B.O.P. motors... Them were fun sleepers.. :D

18. joeb1934

joeb1934

one of many was a 52 desoto. paid $200 for the car (4dr) minus the motor and trans. sold the tag and title for $150, kept the grille, both bumpers, and all the dash gauges, chrome, etc., and sold the rest of the car for $300. @$800 bucks worth of parts that i paid myself $250 to keep. :D

19. Deuces

Deuces

M-22 4-speed... Sold it for 400 bucks!... :eek:
    I should have held onto it... :(

20. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

21. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

i completely paid myself back on the original purchase of my tudor sedan which was a complete car when i got it. all i wanted was the body so after i parted everything out and "paid" myself back i had a pristine sedan body for free. :D

22. Bought my 53 Dodge truck, sold the parts I didn't need and tripled my money and kept the parts I wanted. bought a 78 Chev truck for $200 and parted it out for over $2500.

23. evintho

evintho

Needed some funds for the roadster so I picked up this '87 Turbo Coupe in Oct for $300 and parted it for over $2500. CL and internet forums.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Last winter I happened across an '89 Mustang GT on Craigslist for $600. It was mostly complete, but the owner disassembled it to make a drag car out of it. It was a week before Christmas and he was moving and needed the car gone. I bought the car, kept the T5 trans, bellhousing, flywheel and starter for another project, it had BRAND NEW Cobra R 17" wheels and tires (retail for about $1,000) that I put on my '88 as well as some small parts. Then I parted the rest out to the tune of about $1,000 on ebay and CL and to top it all off sold the rest of the car for $300. I need more deals like that!

25. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

About 4 years ago I was at a farm auction and while nosing around found a 31 A coupe in a draw and silted in about a foot, also found a complete 37 Dodge pickup scattered around and an extra cab. also a 24 chevy roadster. I bought them all for $50 and netted over 3 grand in parts. About the same time I got a rough 37 Ford pickup for free and parted about $1600. Most of that stuff went to guys right here on the HAMB.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe I should start selling off all my "fox body" stang stuff in my garage including my '91 5.8L pony..... :D

27. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dont know about making a lot of money. but once sold a '68 plymouth valiant for $35.00, kept the battery, dog dish hubcaps. and made money.

28. Parted out a 67 AMC Marlin "2545 made approx" and made a cool grand the first week. Cost me $40.00 in gas to get it.....

29. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I see lots of $1000 Foxes in my area that run, but won't pass emissions. I'm tempted to buy another one and do it again, but some of the stuff that's popular is tough to ship and doesn't bring that much. I was lucky in that the whole car was in boxes, so all I had to do was get a new box, seal it and ship it. Lots of demand for good seats, uncut wiring, interior panels, smog parts and the 140 mph speedo clusters.

30. I parted out a Split Window VW bus...probably saved myself thousands.