Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the hurry? Cruising speed question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Kenny P

Kenny P

When you and your club are out on an interstate heading to a show or an event,
    Is the plan to get there fast, running 75-85 mph, or do you cruise and stay the speed limit?
    Maybe the lamest thread of the day, just curious though.

2. speedyg948

speedyg948

it gets kinda tough, some of the guys like to travel at warp speed, while other guys like myself enjoy the speed limit plus 5 or ten sometimes.... the warp speed guys usually take off on their own and get to the destination maybe ten minutes before the rest... hell i like to enjoy the ride!

3. I had a 700r4 and the other guys had th350's - that made a difference.

4. CruZer

CruZer

Yup, same with my club. Years ago we'd all stick together and look out for each other but now we break up into groups of 3-7 cars as Speedy says above,some guys want to get there early and power park and some of us just enjoy the ride and park wherever.
    Plus now we have a few who camp and some who have trailer queens,so it gets all mixed up.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Folks in general have forgotten the beauty in the journey. For them, it's all about the destination. I feel sorry for them, they miss out on so much.

6. I usually like to go about 5 over the limit at the max. Not worth a ticket to get somewhere 10 minutes earlier. But you gotta remember what everyone else might be driving. Not everybodys car can even go the speed limit for extended periods of time.

7. Jimv

Jimv

we usually go the speed limit, i like to go faster but people with Flatties can't stay at 75 or so_One thing though if i cruise with our usual '"Crew" my gas milage isn't too bad, about 20-23 if i cruise with "leadslead(foot)merc"Keith at 75-85MPH my gas milage is about 12-14 at the most!1lol so i guess my wallet decides how fast i go!!lololol
    JimV

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

All of us pretty much travel together, sometimes a little faster than the posted speed but usually around 5 over. We had one guy who liked to put it to the floor everywhere he went and then complained about how long it took the rest of us to reach the destination (usually no more than 10-15 minutes later). He used to pull off at the exit and wait for the rest of us with his engine running so as soon as we caught up he could take off and do it all over again. Even if he was the last one to leave he wasn't satisfied until he had passed everyone and left us in the dust. Can you say "I need to be the center of attention"?:rolleyes::)

Frank

9. Tony

Tony

I really enjoy the ride so normally stay within 5-10 over max. I'll admit there are times when i lay on it some and probably go faster than i should, but not often and not for long periods of time.
    The truck in my avatar falls in a groove right about 72 mph..thats about 2800 rpm or so and smooth as glass. that seems to be a great click to enjoy the ride and still make a little time.
    I just think that the ride to and from a show is a major part of the enjoyment of even going.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Used to haul ass in my T but now I just cruise. I'm the pokey guy in the slow lane...

11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

We do the limit or 5 over,you really don't save much time going 10or 15 over and it's much safer.Hell a lot of us are older and we'll even STOP to stretch on the longer runs.

"come as a spectator, leave as a spectacle"

12. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Maybe 5 or 10 over here as well, Personally I enjoy the cruise especially this time of year when the leaves are changing and the air is crisp. The way I figure it is if you want to get to where ever first leave earlier.

13. DrJ

DrJ

Any club that doesn't usually follow and/or go the speed of the slowest car in the club when caravanning as a group isn't much of a club.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Out here in the West, 75 is our basic speed limit! If your not running at least 85 and in the right lane, you will be run over! That's why I'm such a huge proponent of overdrive transmisions. I have made the 350 mile treck to L.A. roadseter show in flat head powered, 4.11 geared cars going an average of 65... Terrifying!!! As a hot rodder from Phoenix, it's nothing to make that treck up 6 or 7 times a year. My car loves about 2400 or so in 5th gear on the open hiway which equates to about 92 or so. That dosn't even raise an eyebrow from the hiway patrol out here. I do like the 2 laners when I can, and if I have time and don't need to be somewhere quick, I'll slow down a bit and do that number. Problem is, out here, there is not too many of those that actually connect major cities.
    'Course, about the only person I usually caravan anywhere with is Elpolacko and the twin turbo truck, so you gotta consider the company on this one!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I prefer secondary roads to interstate highways, but when on the interstates I think strictly driving the limit is more dangerous because most everybody else is over the limit. I like to keep up with traffic and minimize the amount of cars & trucks passing me, and/or me passing them. Here in the mid-atlantic states, the highest limits are 65. Most people probably drive between 65-75 mph.

As for my group, we generally leave early and pick up guys (and gas and coffee) along the way. Nobody's in a rush to get anywhere and in larger groups we make sure the leader and the tail have cell phones.

16. really . whats next boxers or breif thread wtf . your driving the right foot is for gas .

17. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I do 75 on the freeway with my flathead no problem, no one really needs to go fast, I have a shoebox not a Honda with a rear wing.To cruise 70 on the freeway to a show is perfect. Some want to blast off to a show at 85 or so.. That's fine . I would rather spend my cash on my ride instead of giving it to the highway patrol, because they will get you in time

18. best statement so far in this thread, in my opion:rolleyes:......i've been the president and the cruise director in 2 of the local clubs here over the years.....most like to be mellow, and mainly stay off the interstate hiways....but , ya got to remember...this is michigan and ya can get everywhere in this state without the I-75 shuffle....damn near all the roads here go east west north or south...and just about the whole length of the state.....besides, we have a 70 mph limit on the hiways.....and that means average speed is 75-80:eek::eek:...then there's the ass haulers...85 mph plus....I-75 here is a hazard even with a modern car under your ass....

me personally, i'm building Lil Beast as a cruiser....cross country...although i get out to the proper places, ii can see the hemi and the 5 speed rolling at 80 mph and beyond...hey, lots of the states out west got super hi mph limits....:D:D

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't like following the leader, or traveling in a pack. Years ago I set up a Tour for the local "Antique' club, printed out directions and the historical sights along the way. We traced the 1777 British march from Westport to the burning of Danbury and down to the Battle of Ridgefield site. I thought it would be nice to stop and read plaques on the historic sites, maybe take photos. I was the last to leave, I think they must have bunched up at the second or third stop sign and just drove directly to the restaurant at the end. LAST tour I'll ever set up.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I get older I tend to drive a bit slower, not way below the speed limit yet but not that far over it. There are a bunch of guy from Waco that will tell you that I drove hell bent for election in the mid 70's when the Waco Rod Runners hit the road to an event. They got to where they wouldn't let me lead.

It doesn't matter what kind of vehicle your group is running there are those who like to cruise at a comfortable and leisurely pace and see the sights and there are those who think that the only way to go anywhere is as fast as the road allows and maybe a bit more.

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we do our " All DEUCES Run "
    We try to stay @ the speed limit. It is NOT a race. It is a journey.
    Add in the fact that we do it on the Blue Ridge Parkway ... there is always something scenic to look at.

[​IMG]

Most of the 32's on the run can easily exceed the speed limit ... but a group of 32's ( 25 to 35 of them ) draws a LOT of attention. No need for the POLICE to be stopping us. :)

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

nowdays i go alone or with a car or 2. right now my cruiser is my 62 galaxie with a 352. it likes to go around 65 maybe 70and it takes her a long time to get up to speed.lol.she dont handle real good after that but i dont really care. i am tired of giving the state or county my money. i gave thousands of dollars to them when i was young. now that im old im keepin my money to spend on what i want not givening to them.so i or we (son, son inlaw and my daughter in their cars) just go kinda slow and look good doing it.get to enjoy the sights instead of lookin for the law.lol. when i get the need for speed i have 2 more cars that can fill that bill 1320 at a time.

23. 94hoghead

94hoghead

It all depends on the music I listening to.......

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

commando!

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Out of courtesy to other drivers I like to go the speed limit or sligtly above, but if I'm on my own I usually end up poking along at slightly below.

26. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Whoa......Way too much information! Also a mental image I don't need......

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

lemme guess, they call you the streak, right?:D

28. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

On the highway we stick at 60, 70 being max legal speed. Max speed i legally can tow my caravan is 60, although i have towed at higher speeds but not much point really. At 60 the car is happy towing and keep us ahead of alot of the big rigs that are limited to 56mph and allows me to get up to 70 quite easily when need be. Usually the club, all 5 of us travel together. The girls drive 2 split screen VWs, 61 and 63's, loaded up to the hilt with beer and food so 60 is pretty much flat out, i stick in behind them (getting covered in bloody oil) and 2 mates in a 32 3w and 33 truck follow me. Yep i'm the poor boy in my Amazon but hopefully an A coupe someday soon.
    We don't rush anywhere and take a stop every 50/60 miles for a leg stretch/oil check/cool down/coffee break. Best part of the shows for me is cruising there and we allow plenty of time to get there and enjoy the trip. There's always roadside repairs, wheel trims flying off etc to sort so we keep together and look out for eachother.

Love cruising, Dan

29. shainerman

shainerman

you, sir, hit the nail on the head.

30. when our group gets together to head to a local show we usually cruise around 30-40 mph unless we are on the highway then we do the speed limit some of our guys have very steep gears so they cant run as fast as the others without working thier cas too hard