Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the hairist ride you very had in or on a vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kruizin, Aug 3, 2010.

1. kruizin

kruizin

I am starting this thread to find out the worse trip you ever took in a car, truck or on a bike that almost filled your pants, like accident or parts breaking or falling off.. I have a few in my past, whats yours? Feel free to add pics of the vehicle it happend in if you have them...

2. Well
    I rolled the car in my Avatar !! Does this count !!!

3. mj40's

mj40's

On one of the busiest intersections in Reno I had my master cylinder go out in my 40 coupe. As I was approaching at 35 mph, approaching from the left was a road grader. I geared down and made a hard right just as he was going by. All I could see was lug nuts in my side window. Since then I make sure my emergency brake is hooked up and working.

4. el shad

el shad

I really REALLY want to hear this story!

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

1994....Halloween party. I was 19. 1939 Fiat glass car. No roll cage. 650hp blown sbc. First and last time I ever roade in it. Still on the road. Scared me shitless.

6. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I was running a tube chassis '66 Mustang that ran low nines on the motor, low eights on the juice. She popped a rod out the side of the pan at 135 MPH & I did 2 360 degree spins & contacted the wall. Didn't drive for a year. Oh, did it on my 39th birthday

7. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Years ago my rear brake line failed on my old Meteor and ended up going thru a couple of yards, just missing several trees:eek: and finally got it stopped. Amazingly no damage to the car (it could've been my expert driving skills though:D). Ever since I switch out the single jar master cylinders for dual m/c.

8. This is my story from a few years ago

"Well last night I decided to break the coupe out of storage. Push the car out, check the fluids and air in the tire. Hook up the battery, turn it over, she don't want to start. After a little arguement it finaly started but not after a few light sneezes.

It begins idleing a little high, rap the throttlle, no change. Open the hood check the choke, OK. Rap the throttle again, back to normal idle. HMMM choke acting up. Let it warm up after sleeping for a few weeks, hop in and lets go home. A few miles down the road the idle starts running away again. Rap the throttle, the car seems to respond to the pedal OK, still high. RPMs are still climbing. 3 desolate country road miles from home, I am now driving down the road, left foot hovering over the clutch and right over the brakes at 55. I am now 1-1/2 from home I can make it I said. A few spots of windy roads, some rights and lefts, one desolate stop sign, and I am home.

Here comes the first left turn, I grab the shifter to make a really fast down shift, the F'ng shifter broke off in my hand. I throw the shifter on the floor and reach down to find a stub where my shifter was. Press in the clutch, RPM's scream, stab it into 2nd. Car starts to take off again. Stand on the brakes. Made that turn wide sweeping lazy left.

1/2 mile from home, here come a right turn. Step down on the shifter with my right foot (likes to kick out of gear, typical tired 39 tranny), step on the brakes to slow it down a bit. Tires screaching away around the turn.

1/4 mile to go, foot still on the shifter, standing on the brakes. Roll the stop sign at 20. Car takes off again, here comes the last left turn. Cheat the turn as much as possible, left side tires on the left shoulder, come out of the turn and I can see my yard now. 300 yards to go, I can make it. Take my right foot off the shifter step on the brakes, tranny kicks into neutral. Tach screams up to 5500, poor flathead. Aim for my yard as I am killing the ignition, coasted across the grass to the garage door, pulled parking brake.

HOLY SHIT WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT? Walk around for a second to calm down, regain some composure, and grab a beer. Open the hood to find a 1/4-20 nut and lock washer laying on the engine block. The linkage fell apart, one carb went wide upen while the other stayed attached to the pedal. Grab the shifter, it broke where someone grafted on a swan type shifter to a stock shifter.

Grab some wrenches, fix the linkage with a nylon locknut. Another beer, grind down the shitty ass welds, fire up the welder. Weld it up, grind it down, paint it up. Stuffed the stick back in the tranny. Fire it up and took it out for another shakedown, All is good.

Piece of advice. MAKE SURE YOU SAFETY WIRE YOUR LINKAGE OR HAVE RETURN SPRINGS ON EACH CARB. Scarry shit can happen."

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the early 80's I was riding my Harley FLH in South Dakota. In a lot of places where the counties border each other, there are long "S" curves that are used to match up the roads (due to the decreased distance between lines of longitude the further north you go). I was leaning over through the curve, going faster than I should have been, when I hit a nearly invisible patch of oats or wheat that had fallen from some farmers truck. The bike started to go out from under me, but the tires bit back into good pavement in probably less than 200 milliseconds, and when it hit the good pavement the bike wanted to stand up straight, which put me into the other lane for a bit before I could lay it back over and get back into the right lane. It wasn't a real close call, but the oncoming car sure freaked me out. I had to pull over and pick my underwear out of my butt crack with a needle nose pliers.

I also did a 540 on a two lane highway in an O/T car, going too fast on the snow pack. Backed the car right into the ditch, no damage done to anything except the permanent wrinkle in the seat caused by squeezage of butt crack referred to above.....

10. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I crashed my Stella mini-bike into a light pole when I was 9. Ripping it up on the streets of Da Bronx! Times were fun back then.

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I had a '90 Chevy 1/2 ton "Baby truck from hell". Taking my son and my nephew up to Big Bear to go sking. On the way up I hit some black ice and began to spin on a norrow mountain road. It seemed like it was all in slow motion as it began to spin into a 360, it was almost like a ballet. The truck finally stops in about the same place as it started heading in the right direction. I look over at my son and my nephew and their eyes were as big as saucers and their mouths were open, finally, my son says "Dad, I never knew you could drive so well". I never did tell him I thought we were going to die.

12. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

My mom flipped me over the front seat when she hit the brakes suddenly. Was back in the day when kids were allowed to stand up in the back seat.

That's about it really. I've been lucky and never been in a wreck. (knocks on wood)

13. nutajunka

nutajunka

To many smokey and the bandit tales to tell, but got wiser and built better motor mounts or used limiter straps to hold the engine down. Hate it when the pedal stays on the floor when you don't want it to.

14. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

GOING DOWN INDEPENDENCE PASS INTO ASPEN ON MY OLD HOG. BRAKES WENT OUT . TURDED MY PANTS.
    ANOTHER TIME WHEN I WAS RIDING THE GIRL NEXT DOOR WHEN HER DADDY CAME HOME , TURDED EM AGAIN. this one was worth it (.)(.) s

15. druids62

druids62

I'm with el shad. I'd like to hear the story about the A roaster being rolled. I hope nobody was hurt?!?! It really would be a "fuzzy night" after that escapade! :eek:

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It was after 12, midnight, when I was street racing my '83 Suzuki 1100E against a Kawasaki on San Fernando Road. The bike ran 11:20's at 117 in the quarter mile. I won and started to brake when all of a sudden I get a high speed wobble. I get on the throttle but the wobble won't quit. I ease off the throttle, wondering if I should brake or power through it. I'm running out of road and there's a sweeping right turn up ahead. I cut the throttle and shift into neutral. I stand up on the pegs and use my body to cut the wind, hopefully to slow the bike down gradually. It works and the bike slows down and the wobble stops.

People along San Fernando Road said they never saw a wobble as bad as mine that someone walked away from. Now I've raced my bike of the track before and never had that problem. I check the bike out at home. Front tire pressure was only 10 lbs. Even though I aired the tire back up, I never raced a bike again........

17. I had a busted motor mount experience when I was about 19. I had my dad's '68 Impala wagon out. It had the 327 4-barrel with fueli heads and a Turbo 400. Very deceptive car for the size of it, it moved when you jumped on it.

I had nailed the gas off a stop light, had to crank back on it since the gates were going down at the railroad crossing about 200 yard away.

I let off the gas and find out that the throttle is stuck wide open! I instinctively jump on the brakes as I turn off the ignition, the pedal is as hard as a rock! I get it stopped inches away from the closed RR gates.

I get it started up again, no problem and pull it over as soon as possible. It winds up that the car had a broken motor mount on the driver's side. The engine lifted, jammed the throttle linkage and pulled the vacuum hose out of the power booster.

I was quite the kid and told my dad I noticed he had a broken motor mount and graciously volunteered to change it for him.

Bob

18. A friend of mine had his '68 Camaro back from paint engine redone (engine was 383 stroker....ran pretty good). We were cruising the strip and ran into some friends of ours at a stop light. We were about 5 cars back from the line and were chatting it up with them. Light turned green and we hesitated for a second still chatting and then went to take off.....

....and all hell broke loose.

The gas pedal stuck to the floor and we were along for the ride. His reaction time was pretty stagnant...didn't think to bump it into nuetral or shut the damn key off.

We were about to slam into the cars in front of us and he decides to take the right hand turn at the intersection. We almost made the turn but hit a "Keep Right" sign which fucked our trajectory and went over the curb and a small hill and sideways into a couple of small trees and brought to a halt on a grassy knoll next to a church parking lot.

We were lucky we didn't get our asses killed. Some dudes from across the street came over to check it out.
    Dudes: "Are you alright?"
    Us: "Yeah, we're fine."
    Dudes: "Good, cuz that was the most wicked crash we've ever seen."
    Us: "Glad you enjoyed it."

Then the cops showed up to inspect the situation. It was pretty clear cut from our view. Gas pedal stuck and screwed us. The cops looked under the hood and of course couldn't see anything wrong. So they ruled it my friend's fault. No ticket though. Ins totaled the car. (sigh) I was standing there talking to the cops and saw the "Keep Right" sign laying on the ground. I asked the cop if I could keep it. He said no. (duh) LOL Waited till they left and grabbed it. :D It's hanging up in my Dad's shop now....had to hammer out the dent though.

19. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I was young and had a hopped up 1985 Kawasaki GPZ 900 Ninja. The thing had a big bore kit, cam kit, smooth bore carbs, slammed front suspension, no rear suspension and 7 ft wheelie bars. A group of locals always ran a "speed run" from one town to the next on a nice winding road about 11:00 PM when the strip started to die down. The last time I made the run, I had just picked up some troll and was giving her a ride. About 12 bikes took off thru the first turn and I stayed towards the end of the pack (wheelie bars sux in the corners!) The other bikes were starting to pull away by the time we hit the straightaway and the girl asked "Why are the other bikes so much faster?" I told her to grab on hard, down shifted, and let her rip. I started passing the other bikes at 120mph in the far on coming lane and OH SHIT!, the lane I was in dropped about 6" and turned to gravel! I managed to lean hard enough to get over in the good lanes just as my wheelie bars grabbed asphalt (throwing sparks everywhere) and sent the bike into a slide. We got back up right at about 80 mph and finished the "speed run" at about 35 mph. When we got to the next town the girl used a pay phone (yeah, it was a long time ago) and called her Dad for a ride home. I sold the bike after that one and have not owned another "rocket" since.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, I have too many to tell. I have never had Just a "late model, reasonable transportation" kinda car, so almost every minute on the road has been in something way to stupid fast and hairy for it's own good! I had a way O/T VW years ago that was my daily driver, but was basically a gutted race car with plates. You know your ride to work is stupid when you rely on your by bi weekly "Trick Racing Fuel" delivery to come so you can fill up. This was about twenty years ago, when a 12 second street driver was very quick, and with the big blue bottle on and the little Firestone slicks on stock widened wheels with caps, it got quite a bit faster. Thing about a bug at this level, is that they get very nose happy, very quickly. Pulling the front wheels a goodly amount is just a way of entertaining yourself on nights when it's clear no one is going to fall for the racing deal. So I'm sitting at the light at Central and Thomas headed north late one night, and I see some friends over on the side walk and decide that it's time to play. Yellow light drops on the cross street, R's come up, green comes on - launch mode! Front end comes up and starts to carry, tach hits 6500, Feather clutch, (2300lbs Kenedy) PULL! CRUNCH, BAM, WABADUNGE!!!! Front end slaps down with allot more force than I'm used to, and suddenly I realize I'm going slightly sideways, and my stubby little slicks are not happily doing this little pogo-skid-chirpy-thing. Fortunately this is late, even for a cruising strip deal so the traffic was basically non existent. The car continues sideways on the right two (1 1/2) wheels before depositing my dumb ass the opposite direction in the left turn lane. Yes it stayed on all fours, but not through my supirior driving skills, at that point I was just a passenger. What went wrong? I split the trans axle right across the differential, which in turn took out the tunnel for the gear case all while spitting my trick locker differential on the ground, dropping the motor against its sub mount and locking the rear wheels forward movement. The resulting pool of trans axle juice made everything all slick and happy. A perfect storm of bowel loosening crazy compressed into about three and half memorable seconds. The next trans had gigantic stiffening ribs welded to the top and bottom of the magnesium case, but was never beat on quite as hard as that night again.

21. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

After doin a burn out I got squirrely, pulled to the line with my wheels turned to the left I punched it and got thrown into the pass seat with my foot still on the gas, missed the wall by inches!

22. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

About 30 years ago, on an old Suzuki Water Buffalo. Was running about 90 when a local farmer crossed the road in front of me in his farm truck. Tapped the rear brake and it locked which started a scary broadslide. Farmer John saw me at the last minute and floored his truck. I missed the back end by about three feet still doing around 60 miles per hour. I didn't get on another bike for about two years.

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3/4 ton HD F250, 1800# open trailer, early F250 plow truck on the trailer, plow in the back of the truck on the trailer. I knew it was a lot of weight so I set the truck on the trailer to the point where the tounge wt was pshing the tow vehicle down about 4". Shoulda been enough. I didn't like the overall feel when we headed out so I told the bro-in-law we're gonna take our time getting there. All was well from Taylor to Plymouth. Heading up 23 we cross a small bridge over a drainage ditch and the bridge is in a curve. The trailer starts to sway...1st right, then left. I slow down, no brakes, just eased off the throttle. No help. Now it's whipping back and forth as I try to "gas out" of the problem. I SAW THE WHOLE SIDE OF THE TRAILER AND TRUCK IN MY MIRROR!! Trying my best to keep kool I just kept trying to power out of the problem and this lil foreign lookin dickhead waits his turn to blow by when the sway is out of his way, flippin me off as he passed. I thought we were done. I told him "this might be it..." he yells "DON'T GIVE UP FUCKER!!!", so I yell back, all the while driving my ass off to pull out of the problem. Without blowing it outta proportion the trailer tick-tocked probably 15 or more times. FINALLY, it settled down and a guy behind us saw the foreign fucker's gig and blocked traffic behind us. I dropped the speed to about 40 and got off at the next exit gettin the thumbs up from our blocker. Bro-in-law says "what are you gonna do?" as I get off on Plymouth RD. I said "I'ma see if there's a place I can buy some new underwear!" I swear his hand prints are still in that A pillar mldg. We aired up all the tires as high as they'd go, moved the truck all the way up and went back at it. Made the next 225 mile without incident and way more stable.

Trying to avoid a scenario like this is why I loaded it the way I did. Bad move. Worse thing ever on the road for me.

24. 61bone

61bone

Brother and I setting on the front lawn having a cool one when one of our brown brothers comes around the corner in a bigblock 4 spd 68 Impala. Found out later it was the weeks 99 dollar special at a local dealer that he had just bought. Going to fast for the corner to begin with, then he hammers it. It goes to wide open and stays there. A 360 in the street, up in the yard for another, wiping out the cooler and chairs. We're running. He jumps a two foot wall and does another 360 in the neighbors yard and proceeds through his garage and out the back and headons a huge cottonwood tree. Things are starting to deteriorate now. Steams blowing and the backtires are smoking in the dirt trying to push over the tree. The tree sheds a branch about 2 foot in diameter twenty or so feet up that lands on the passenger side and smucks it down to the top of the door. At this point everything goes to hell and it spits a rod out the side of the block. Brown brother breaks and runs , never to be seen again. Neighbor sues the dealer and somebody kipped the transmission.

25. I held 150-160 mph in my tuned 1996 Impala for 10 miles down a relatively empty highway once. Everything went fine but at 156 mph, shit comes at you FAST.

Glad I got that out of my system.

JH

26. rockinokie

rockinokie

When I was 18 or 19 I had a 69 Dart. I was cruisin about 85 mph down highway 177 and when aproaching a red light, I hit the brake pedal and it went to the floor with no resistance. There was a car setting in each lane at the light so I hit the emergency lane and just blew thru it like nothing. Well there was a Highway patrol setting off somewhere and seen me do it. He pulled behind me and followed for the loooong roll to a stop.

...he asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. haha Then he said he could either give me a ticket for faulty equipment or give me a ticket for running a red light and that it was my choice. ...d#ck. I took the ticket for faulty equipment and the judge threw it out and said "I've had some old cars and you just have to be real carefull" that was cool...

bottom line... It could've been reeeeeeeal ugly if there was another car in that intersection when I passed through.

27. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

OT car. Had a 97 Jeep Wrangler with a small lift and 37" tires. 4cyl 5spd locked axle front and back. No doors not top. Had a full cage with a 4pt harness (no nut strap).

I was driving down the HWY at 60mph (that was almost top speed) I was going around a curve when my rear control arm let go and the back end started to wobble and shake. There was nothing I could do but ride it out. Every car near me moved out of my way as the Jeep picked whatever lane it wanted. When I finally came to a stop I got out and had to walk off the rubber leg feeling. I though for sure I was going over on my lid. I was just happy i had my harness on at that point.

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

A former neighbour with his piece of shit Peugeot car.

Decided to drive fast for once, to show off ( probably because he had seen high performance cars in front of my house for years )

The guy was driving way past his abillities.

That was a very scary ride...

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Riding with my aunt May....she was 82 and that was scary.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

More on topic - Elpolacko here on the board has been my best friend for about twenty years now, and we have always both had fast stuff. Before his green truck Became the all powerful twin turbo legion of doom that it is now, It and my avatar Plymouth were quite evenly matched power and speed wise. That is to say, stupid fast by most accounts, just as it should be. So damn near everytime the cars were going somewhere in tandem, there was fun to be had. So we left the 35th ave and Northern cruise night one evening about five years ago, and headed east to the freeway. We romped on the throttles a bit for the couple miles up to I-17 where we would head south, him to Chandler, me downtown. Caught at the light for the freeway, Steve is ahead and I hear his big block wind up, and the clutch drop, tire smoke he's gone! I follow suit. As I slide around the corner basically all out to catch him before the freeway entrance, I catch sight of a small silver late model orb - mobil that appears to be heading down the access road to the right. Game continues! Steve has about two car lengths on me at this point, and at about 100 starts to get to the narrow freeway entry lane, I'm in hot pursuit. As he passes the gore point to the freeway, I catch a quick glimps of what I think is a turn signal, no, can't be! Without looking, sliver orb-mobil driver has decided at the last second that I-17 is exactly where she needs to be, and therefore merges between Steve and I! Problem is, shes going 35, we're going a little closer to, oh, 110 or so! As it turns out, the freeway entrance does have just over a car and a half worth of width, and used every inch of it! I swear I left a small band of side wall rubber on the flared lower portions of the safety wall... Post script is this I squeezed the Plymouth between the orb and the safety wall, got into the entry lane, shifted fifth and let the Plymouth scrub off it's speed as I sat there and tried to figure out how I just pulled that off, and checked my pants for unwanted emissions. Everybody emerged just fine without a scratch, but I still can't figure out how the world actually went matrix on me for a minute there. As far as rather extreme speed craziness these days? Not so much anymore, at least not around town!