Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Difference Between F-1/F-100 Spindles and 37-48 Spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burger, Oct 21, 2008.

1. burger

burger

Hey!

I've just spent the last hour searching through old posts and can't find the answer I'm looking for...

What's the difference between F-1/F-100 spindles and 37-48 passenger car spindles? More specifically, can I use F-1/F-100 spindles on a 32-48 axle? I've read that there *might* be camber issues, but nothing conclusive.

Whose been there, done that, and lived to tell about it?

Thanks,
    Ed

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to use F-1s on my 39 Ford as the backing plate bolt patterns were teh same. But, I found the spindle snout where the inner bearing rides is bigger than the 37-48s, so my brake kit wouldn't fit.

About the only fix was to turn down the spindle, but machine work $$$ made it not worth teh effort.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I just pussed out on teh machine work.

Good luck, -Abone.

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Not sure what your aiming for. If it's F100 brakes in the front, there are bearing conversion kits sold. No machining req. just a bit of grinding on the top of the 37-41 spindle to clear the b. p. Other than that why would you want F100 spindles on an early axle? Fill me in.

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

F-1 spindles bolt right on Ford I-beam axles.....I beleive F-100's have more caster built into the spindle...not 100% sure on that.
    Also, the LH truck spindle will have a large, bolt on steering arm.

5. Clutched

Clutched

Im right where you are...i have f-100 brakes and spindles and am trying to adapt them to a superbell axle. what i have found is the f-100 king pins are 1/16 or so larger than the early ford, so you would have to bore the king pin hole on the axle for the larger f-100 king pis or use early ford king pins and bush the f-100 spindles...im not sure about the kingpin angle though...they look pretty close...like really close but i havent measured it that accuratly. i might put the early ford king pins in it and make some pop can bushings for the spindle to test it. i think(hope) it will work. i too have heard a bunch of people say they have heard of it being done but havent done it themselves so...good luck ill be interested to see what these guys have to say.-----Drew

6. Clutched

Clutched

Yes and the steering arms are HUGE...so?

7. richie rebel

richie rebel

right on dyke,why would you go to all that trouble for f-100 spindles,beats me? richie

8. burger

burger

To the gentleman who asked why I'm interested in doing this, the answer is that F-100 spindles often come free when you buy the brakes whereas most folks are a lot less likely to give away perfectly useable 37-48 spindles. I fit into this situation because I'm a cheap bastard. Dig?

Clutched: What year F-100 spindles are you using? SinisterCustom claims they fit, so I'm thinking maybe some fit and some don't, based on year or truck size (ie, F100 vs F200).

So anyway, thanks for the replies.

Thanks,
    Ed

9. Clutched

Clutched

The Brakes and Spindles are both off a 58 f-100 not the earlier f-1. dont know what the difference is if there is one.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

They're free because nobody wants 'em, as they don't "bolt on".....but the brakes can easily be used.

F-1 and F-100 are DIFFERENT. F-1 brakes/spindles will bolt on to Ford and aftermarket axles with NO modifications.....and camber is correct.
    F-100 spindles have more positive camber.

11. Clutched

Clutched

Right on..thanks for the info. much needed! Happen to know how much more Camber? although i heard it is not such a good idea to heat and bend a cast aftermarket axle. right?

12. burger

burger

So why not use F-1 spindles then? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Ed

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

If ya got 'em, use 'em....they work great. That's what I have on my A!:D

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

F-1 spindles from 48-52 use the same kingpin and bushing set as the 42-48 Ford Cars and pickups so yes the F1 spindles are a bolt-on, not the F-100s.

15. DollaBill

DollaBill

Uh...what!?

Things to consider...first, as previously mentioned, the F-100 spindle has enormous steering arms. I am making an assumption, here, but if you had split wishbones, hairpins, or a 4-bar...any type of axle locator OTHER than a stock wishbone...you would have steering arm clearance issues.

Second, camber and/or king pin inclination is measured in single, or sometimes fractional, degree increments. You will very likely never be able to correctly establish a "baseline" camber/KPI deifferential measurement between an original spindle and an F-100 spindle with "pop can" shims.

Third, and I am not (intentionally) trying to be a dick, here...but you posed the question "although i heard it is not such a good idea to heat and bend a cast aftermarket axle. right?" Friend, if you don't already KNOW the answer to that question, then you are going down the WRONG PATH.

Keep this simple, and AVOID the notion that CORRECT and CHEAP are necessarily mutually exclusive.

You want F-100 brakes? Easy as pie...find the CORRECT spindles...37-48 or F1...purchase the CORRECT bearings...the bearing kit is $38 from Speedway, or you can get the Timken numbers from any number of archived posts, here on the H.A.M.B...

And proceed accordingly.

Your task is as follows: Find yourself a set of inexpensive CORRECT spindles, and report back to the board when you have studied why heating a cast axle is bad.

16. Mart

Mart

There is one other aspect to using the f1 spindles.. the right one is similar to 42-48 car spindles, (square back) but they only have 1 hole in the steering arm, so not ideal for cross steer. The left spindle is set up for non-cross steer, but as stated above has a single bolt in arm that doubles as both steering arms, and as such just isn't as pretty as car spindles.
    They would be fine in a fully fendered car with non cross steer and f1 brakes.
    Mart.

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

F-1 spindles with cross steer. Arms can be heated and bent to clear wishbones....but the bolt on arm takes alot of heat, bend sloooow, keeping the heat to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Clutched

Clutched

Word up Dollabill.

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

thats what i'm talking about dollabill,thank you

20. no55mad

no55mad

Does anyone know the how much bigger in diameter the F100 backing plates are verses the F1 backing plates?