Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the biggest "thing" you've ever HIT in your hot rod/custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RF, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Would a Bison (Buffalo) in a 1964 VW Microbus count?
    I'm serious, going to Cooke City, MT, in 1977, hit a patch of black ice, spun a 180, and WHAM ! right into the side of a Buffalo... After I gathered my thoughts, and looked at all the glass on the passenger side ( right side windshield) I noticed the Buffalo shake his head a little, then look right at me, and put his head down.. I thought "shit, what a way to go, killed in a VW Microbus by an irate Bison" but he just kinda shrugged it off, and sauntered down the road.
    I reported it to the Nat'l Park Service, and they basically said that, if he walked away, he must have been okay, but they would keep a lookout for him. Good for him, but the whole right side front of the Microbus was crushed, and it had to be towed, the dogleg of the front fender was wrapped around the front tire. I pulled it out with a comealong, some logging chain, and a telephone pole (sorry for the scars on your pole, Rocky Mt. Bell) and was able to get a windshield back in the opening, but the passenger door never did open and close right after that.

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

3. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

In my first truck, a 78 Datsun 620, I collected a bedliner, dead sheepdog, and a turtle. In my lowrider toyota, another turtle, many previously dispatched critters, a possum stuck his head under my tire and a curb at the bank. In my 51 chev, a canadian goose.

4. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

5. I found out that if you hit a Chevy Citation with a 57 Bel Air, the 57 will win. I did $800 damage to my car, and about $4G to the Citation. It was only a couple months old so they fixed it. The guy driving the X-11 said hi to me about three weeks ago. Almost twenty years........

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I scored on a large, unrecognizable carcass of some sort....twas driving home from PHX Az to ABQ NM at bout 0200...was way too tired to be driving and a large pile of meat shows up dead ahead....pops always told me, you dont swerve for nothin at 100mph...and I didnt, but it was a hell ofa bump...I as well didnt check ip (I knew I caught it with the bumper as the bumper was quite low) but thought everything went under the truck, I figured I'd take it to the car wash in the am and get the guts off....bout 40 miles down the pike the stench started....stunk all the way home, I was sacked out in the house in the am when pops comes in asking me who I hit on the way home last night...I tells him, "nuttin...just a pre-dead chunk of meat"

It musta been a really really fresh chunk O meat, cause I had body parts all the way up and down the side of the white truck....needless to say I got some weird looks takin it to the dollar DIY car wash...

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Do you remember the Honda 600 sedan? It came out in 71'. It was my first new car. Going S/B on the 110 frwy at the 10 frwy, a car drove over a large sheet of plywood and stood it on end. I drove through it, completely smashing the plywood. No damage to my car, thank god.

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

The chuckholes here in Fresno.

9. wayne-o

wayne-o

Check this out.
    FormulaDeerHunting.wmv
    He never did come down!!!

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I hit a blown out truck tire laying in my lane with the 57. I thought it was ok, but the car died about 1/2 mile down the road...tore my friggin fuel line right out of the tank. Got towed home and lost 1/2 tank of gas too.

11. FOURLUG

FOURLUG

A black bear in a 76 K-5. It was back in '85. My cousin and I went hunting with my dad and his buddys in British Columbia. We were headed back to Montana to see my Grandfather. It was raining, dark and we were medicating or selfs going about 70 and out of no where there was this f**king bear. With a 5 inch lift and 35" tires the truck handled for shit. He never stood a chance. It bent the drag link so bad there was a three inch difference from the front of the tire too the rear. We ate the tires down to the belts in about 20-25 miles he also pulled $300 of new dual exhaust with it. We cleaned fur and part out of every part of the underside of that truck for months.

12. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

A firefly, technically it wasn't with my '46, it actually hit my wifes arm hanging out the window. Something hit her arm at night and she yelled "ouch" and pulled her arm in and there was this yellow glowing glob on her arm. We had them stuck all over the windshield for miles that night. They continue to glow for a minute or so after you squish them with the windshield....

13. One night 4 or 5 years ago this girl at the bar needs a ride, and me, hoping to get in her pants, agrees to take her to her house. Well she's not right down the road, but like 15 miles out of town in the middle of nowhere. So I am almost to her place in this beater '88 T-bird and a doe runs out in front of me. I stand on the brakes, and luck out - I hit the deer, but only enough to knock the damn thing over. It shook it's head a little and got up and ran away. One of the parking light lenses popped off the car, but the whole front fascia was kicked over like 3/4 inch or so. I guess if you have to hit a deer, that's the way to do it. As for the girl, I don't think I ever saw her again... so much for that.

The way people drive around here - like assholes who got their license out of a crackerjack box - it's almost not worth driving a nice car every day. I'd rather it be like the jackass in the BMW a few months ago that tangled with my Suburban because he was too busy talking on the phone to pay attention to his lane change. If I didn't show you where the damage was on my truck, you'd never know it, but his needed a new fender and a bunch of other stuff. But that's my fourth minor fenderbender in 17 years of driving, not counting the car I totalled when I was 17 - and all of them happened because someone else did something stupid and I couldn't react fast enough to avoid it.

14. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

I hit a possum Saturday night in the 46 coming back from Birmingham after seeing Southern Culture on the Skids!!!
    We had it for supper Sunday night with some Banana Pudding...burp

15. Diablo Artwerks

Diablo Artwerks
    from Bako

One happened to me and one to my bro. On 101 S/B somewhere south of Ventura, I see a large sheet of what looks like plywood flip up in my lane, maybe a half a second to react, cars on both sides, fairly heavy traffic and Im in my 57 Ford wagon, hit it head on! It turn out to be a peice of cardboard, bends, rips, not a scratch, scared the shit outta me though. The other, my bro hits a catayltic converter on I-10 e/b just outta Palm Springs, tacos the hell out of the driveshaft and took out the roll pan.

16. hahahahaha...these are really funny.
    I bagged a small deer with my 66 lincoln coupe, killed a big, fat, corn-fed doe in downtown Omaha with my Aerostar van, [the van was also terminal] scored a very big guardrail with the front of my 64 corvette, bitch-slapped another guardrail with the entire side of my 57 Pontiac 2 door sedan [don't drink and drive kiddies] but the biggest thing I ever hit was Hiboy 32's house with my Rocky Goodtime Van [TM]...Thanks, Jeff, for moving to a house that has a wider driveway....sheesh.

17. damnfingers

damnfingers

I hit the 2007 Mustang GT and 1989 T-Bird in back of me and 2005 Kia in front of me while I was stopped in traffic....surely I win.

18. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

i made it to look as close to a 59 as i could. i bought it for 100 bucks, no fenders or vin plates on it but its a late 60s as far as i can tell. almost all of the parts are from a 59 except the doors.

19. 41woodie

41woodie

I've hit 3-4 deer over the years, just back from Viet Nam in my two week old 69 Fairlane I had been fishing and caught a 4 1/2 lb and a 6lb 4oz largemouth bass. While racing across the base to weigh them I topped a hill and hit a doe and yearling fawn. Had to hold the hood down with a fishing stringer. Pretty good day of fishing and hunting though.
    Only big hit in an old car was driving my 41woodie home from Louisville nats years ago and 10 miles from home hit a dead dog the size of a bear. Bent the bumper irons and cracked the bottom edge of the right front fender. It sounded like I'd run over a small car and scared the hell out of me since it was about 2 in the morning and I'd been driving all day. Still have the woodie and the crack in the fender is still there. Oh and the 6+ lb bass was mounted and I still have it.

20. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

Hit a cow in mexico. Federales tried to make me pay for it. Slipped them a $20 to let me go.

21. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

i hit a dalmation in a nova once it was not pretty..........

22. BLT2DRIVE

BLT2DRIVE

Two hunks of 8" cinderblocks laying around a curve in Beverly Glen Canyon (LA,CA) 4" off the ground,hit the bumper,front apron,and hung up under the oil pan. Once the banging and dragging stopped I turned onto the first street I came to. The street turn to go down a switchback,(I was going uphill) I no sooner stopped the car and got out, six quarts of oil were running down the hill. I had AAA take it to my buddies house in the Valley....... New pan in 2 days, 15 min later it's all cool...........

23. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Hit a HUGE jack rabbit with a '70 Toyota Corolla wagon once, thought I was gonna flip the damn car!

I nailed a small bird once in my old t-bucket. It didn't kill it, but it was kinda cool watching it play ping-pong back and forth from one front tire to the other.

At the 1999 Unfinished Nats I hit a very large rock that was on the road. It got knocked into the lane by another car passing by and I couldn't avoid hitting it. It whacked the front crossmember and made the '48 jump pretty good. luckily it didn't do any damage as I passed over it, other than to scare the crap out of me and my wife.

24. ShortBus

ShortBus

Does this count?

[​IMG]

25. GlenC

GlenC

I haven't hit anything bigger than the usual windscreen bugs, but I've come horribly close to kangaroos on a few occasions. I actually had to stop the car in the middle of a main road a few months ago and chase a young koala off the road. They're awfully cute, but you don't pick them up cause they'll scratch and bite you to pieces.

My brother in law hit a wombat one night on a country road in Victoria. He was driving an old Datsun 260Z coupe, doing well over 160k, and it was a pretty big wombat cause it pushed the engine back all the way into the passenger seat side of the cockpit. He was actually lucky to survive the accident.

Cheers, Glen.

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I hit a deer with my S-10 Blazer (show truck) about a year after moving to SC.. had evacuated for a hurricane and on the way home (about 3 miles from home) I had one jump out at me.. Deers do alot of damage

27. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I've Hit dozens of fuckin' kangaroos,and even a huge razer back pig which tore the bull bar of my ute.
    I ran over a dead roo in the middle of the road which rolled under the car .it smelled like dead human corpse so i stopped off at the local car wash and got the wand out and cleaned the underside.
    A day later the owner rings me up demanding I go down and clean his wash bay...it smells like some one dead he reckoned...:D:D
    [​IMG]

28. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

MY CAR took out a stop sign. i was 18 years old and had my 72 cutlass that i got from a friend when i was 14. i was trying to sell it because i already had my 60 cadillac. so this guy came over to test drive it, the master cylinder was starting to go and i told the guy to take it easy and not to press it to fast. so we went down the street, everything was fine. so then we come to the T in the road, dude starts screaming. im like "WHAT"? then he says "dude the brakes went out!" so then i said pump it, but by this time he was panicing and froze up, we were going about 35 or so. so hes clutching the wheel, and im sitting there in the passenger seat looking at these 6 foot round oak trees at the end of the street. so i just take matters into my own hands and push the wheel to the left. he tried to pull it back the other way?!?! and i fight it back over into the ditch to the left, smash over the stop sign. rolled another 10 feet and he finally pumped the master and we stop. unfortunately the bumper grill and hood didnt like that to much.... lucky nothing else was broken under the car exept a few scratches on the glasspacks. so i limped the car home very slowly and lets just say the dude didnt wanna buy the car after that. lol but i did end up fixing the master cylinder and driving the car till the transmission went out 2 times.

29. Took out a snowplow with my 60 Chev Impala, back in '66. Well, actually it took me out. I was going to work one winter morning,---just got to the top of the Oak hills, and a bunch of wet snow had come off of the trees along the side of the road, onto the pavement. The car got sideways at about 60 miles an hour, and started doing these big, lazy 360's as it went down the highway. I was pumping the brakes, shifting gears, steering like Hell, but nothing seemed to stop those big lazy loops at 60 MPH.--I seen the township plow coming the other way with its blue light flashing, and there wasn't a damn thing I could do. At the last minute, I dove for the floor under the dash. The plow blade hit just behind the drivers door, and cut the car in half.---one half of the car ended up in each ditch, on both sides of the road. Miraculously, I wasn't hurt, but it sure put a crimp in my street machine budget for a couple of years.---Brian

30. southdiver1

southdiver1

I hit a shopping cart in my 1980 Malibu hot rod (It counts as a hot rod as I had a 327 swap). Anyway, nearly totalled the car.

Abount 6 months ago, my father rear ended a dump truck with his 27 Chevrolet 4 door. That was pretty ugly.