Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's missing from this hood ornament??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fishtail8, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Ok guys, here's the next HAMB challenge. The hood ornament is off my 50 Pontiac Fleetleader, but it's a Canadian car. There are 2 holes on the top for something, I know some of the US models had lights on the top or head of the Indian. Anyone know what's supposed to live there, and how to go about getting one??

Attached Files:

2. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

doesn't look factory maybe someone has modified it?...........

3. Didn't some of the fancier models have a Lucite fin along the top???

4. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

It very well could have, I have yet to see one of these in a single piece. All of the yard I've combed in my area so far either don't have one on the car, or are missing similar trim bits. Haven't found any pics on the net yet either. Thanks tho..... (Go Riders!!!... Or is it Go Esks!!)...:D

5. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

clear plastic Indian feathers my 39 pontiac has em and ive seen many other pontiacs of that era with them .

6. I think it's been modified, this is the only pic I seem to have of a '50 that doesn't light up...

[​IMG]

7. This shows a little more of it...

[​IMG]

8. shitbox2

shitbox2

honestly i think nothings missing lookit up on yahoo images and you will see

9. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Thanks for the replies guys, I took another look at it today, it definatly looks like it was made that way so the plastic feathers are a possiblity. I think I might find something of my own to bolt on to that spot to give the car a bit of character... :D

10. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

I will now bow down to the members of the HAMB.... upon further inspection today, I've come to the conclusion that all you guys were right. There are faint file marks on the rear most notch, and the holes arn't perfect enough for factory. It'll do for now, I'll just have to make up a cool story for em.... Thanks again !!

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

In the early '50s, a fairly common aftermarket accessory was a transparent bug deflector -- usually transparent red, or another bright clear color, and shaped like a triangular sail. I recall that most of them clamped to the center stainless strip on the hood, just behind the hood ornament.

Maybe your Indian was modified to permit attachment of one of those deflectors.

12. J A G

J A G
    from Ohio

my 25 chevy has the plastic winged angel clamp on bolt on & it looks alot like your markings with it off.