Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats a volare front clip worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41plym, Mar 22, 2012.

1. 41plym

41plym

I bought a 78 lebaron with 51000 original miles. My plan is to use motor, trans and rear in my 41 plymouth convert. I have a fatman mustang II for the frontend. I'm going to scrap the rest of the lebaron but wanted to take the clip to the portland swapmeet. How much should I ask for it. Theres one on the HAMB classifieds for $400.00 but that seems a little steep.

2. In my opinion,The Volare front clip is not as popular anymore.To much fabrication to install and so many easier bolt on kits available these days.
    I would say sell it for a couple hundred bucks just so you don't have to lug it back home.

3. Larry T

Larry T

I've got a complete one that's been cleaned up that I would take 200.00 for in a heartbeat.
    Larry T

4. 41plym

41plym

Thats what I was thinking frankdog. I don't want to bring it home but I also don't want to give it away either.
    41plym

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm a Mopar fan and I wouldn't use one. They were never that great a front end to start with, nowhere near as good as the torsion bar suspension they had from 1957. I know they were used in pickup trucks and fat fender cars but that was a long time ago. They haven't even made them in 20 years. I would be looking for something more modern.

In other words I think you would have a hard job to sell it at all. I wouldn't bother hauling a big heavy thing like that to a swap meet on the off chance. But hey, you never know your luck.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can always bargain down but it's near impossible to bargain up. I'd probably put 200/250 on it and hope someone made me an offer that I wasn't going to refuse. Over price it too much and no one will even make an offer on it.
    I've seen those adds for over priced stuff in the classifieds posted by guys with the idea that they will make serious bucks off "those HAMB rubes" with their offering of the day.

7. 41plym

41plym

I don't take anything to the swapmeet that I plan on bringing home. So I think $200.00 OBO will be the price, thanks for the input.
    41plym

8. derbydad276

derbydad276

take it to the swap meet put a hunderd bucks on it!
    help out a fellow rodder and get 5 times what it would go for it in scrap weight ...

9. Master of None

Master of None

I cut one off a client's truck.....looks like I should have charged a little more for it.... went to a friend for $20.

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

For 3 years I looked and looked for a volare front clip to put under my 41 plymouth. A buddy used it under his 36 dodge and it was great. I landed up selling my car cuz I couldnt find one under $1500.00 ??? I posted on here repeaditly???? No response except saying use a mustang II.

Last summer I sold my 41, this was the major factor, I wanted A/C and I didnt want to put a V8 on the stock front end, but it probably would have been OK.

If the front end isnt taking up any room, I see keep it, dont scrap it!!! They have their following, and its easy to buy parts for it, incase of a spun bearing or brake failure on the road.....

I think they are great, most guys who have them set the ride height and smoothness up with out any real expense, just adjust the bars....

11. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

scrap price....

12. aircoup

aircoup

i installed and used many of em , a few years ago , no problems at all seems everyone wants to keep up with the jones,s with modern stuff these are tried and true been used for years ,, proof enough for me ''

13. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I bought one with all new bushings that was cleaned up real nice and painted in the 90's for $300.

Slapped it in my F100 and she rode sweet. :)

14. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Put one in Vicki Novas 59 Apache pick up... works great, cost 125.00

15. Scrap price. No one would buy it without the thought that it needs a full rebuild. Once you remove that from the price, it needs to be near free to make it a go.

Cosmo

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

$200 be fair but, $$ talks. earlier models were a bit better but, depends on width, etc. wife's '50 Chevy PU has one in it, with new bushings, etc. and works pretty good. not for the high buck guys, or super traditionalists. mount one slightly elevated and do not have to turn torsion bars to lower it. following more so with 50's Ford Truck guys. install kits available.

17. 41plym

41plym

Looks like you either love em or hate em. I'm gonna take it to the swapmeet and hope someone who loves em stops by.
    41plym

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Aren't there any junkyards where you live? Happens I went junkyard shopping yesterday and saw them bringing in a LeBaron sedan of about 1980 with this suspension. A few years ago there were dozens of them in every junkyard. Not so many any more but they are still around.

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

I know everyone has different experiences, but I had a new Volare & it was the worst car I ever owned, highlighted by the absolutely miserable front end. I'd say, forget it.

20. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.....

21. 2-3 hundred is a good price.junkyards are getting $350 for these with some extras.I just put one under my 55 plymouth wagon.Keep or sell the manifolds.mopar car small block v8 manifolds, especially the driverside are gold.I forgot to get mine with the clip and had to make some.

22. 41plym

41plym

Just for the record I sold the clip at Portland swap meet for $175.00. Carlos from Yakima is going to put it under a 51 chev pickup.
    41plym