Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's a running slant pan olds trans worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52plybizcoupe, Dec 5, 2016.

1. What would a running 56 olds slant pan trans be worth nowadays

Thanks Brett

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave them away...

3. Depends a lot on the definition of "running".

4. desotot

desotot

I thought a slant pan was a hydramatic and they quit using those in 55 but what do I know?

5. Well it's running as in it came out of a running hot rod a year ago and has been in heated storage for a year it was pulled out as a package engine and trans I think it is a 56 but that's only from what I was told it was it was rebuilt when it was put in the previous car and was driven for 2 years

6. It's possibly a 56. In 1956, the hydramatic transmissions were used on the 88s, while the 98s received the new jetaway transmission.

I have a few hydramatic transmissions myself in various condition. That being said, I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $100 for one, in good condition. Without pulling it completely apart, it's hard to know the real condition of the internals. As for it being rebuilt... quite possible. But by who? Knowledge of these old beasts is few and far between. And without paperwork, I'd be a skeptic.

If for whatever reason you don't find a buyer and it ends up hitting the scrap pile, I'd buy the tailshaft yoke off you.

7. I think a hydro is a fun transmission for a traditional rod. If I was building one with a GM engine I'd love to put that box behind it. Those things are not well known for "shelf life" so finding someone who wants to slap it in and go is not going to be real easy.

8. The guy has it set in his car he is just worried about the drive ability of it

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

So, that being the situation.........define 'worth'. As in, "is it worth using in a street vehicle..." a performance opinion, or "how much money is it worth?"..........two totally different concepts.

Ray

10. I'm confused... You said it was pulled out of a running car a year ago and has been in storage since. Then you said it's in a car and 'he' is worried about the drive ability of it.
    Are you a buyer? A seller? Asking for a friend? And what are you trying to find out? Value, or whether it's a worthwhile transmission to run?

11. The seals go bad if they are not kept moist. But seals and gaskets are no biggy.

They are aha heavy pig of a transmission, I like them real well but they are heavy.

12. it is SET in his car he is building that has been stored since he got the engine and trans we are worried that the drive ability of the setup to drive around nice and easy i was hoping that we could see if some one would want to buy the transmission and it would fund enough to get a adapter and a modern trans

13. Ah, that clears up a lot of confusion.
    I'm sure you've gotten your answers from this thread so far, but to recap... yes, they are a nice transmission when they are set up correctly. I highly doubt you'd sell it for enough to buy an adaptor, let alone an adaptor and a modern trans.

clunker and Hnstray like this.
  14. I bought a Hydramatic off Ebay a year or so ago that was supposedly "working" for $250 plus shipping ($100). Of course it didn't work, (anything can happen as they are drained and jostled around), so I rebuilt my original and kept it for spare parts. I am glad to have it, if you start trying to find individual components it gets pricey $$$.

Put it on Ebay for $400 see if you get any bites. UPS will pick it up if it's on a pallet, you'll have to get a shipping estimate for your buyer.

Plus it's not just a different transmission, an adapter and away you go. Count on a rebuild with a newer used tranny, and lots of fabbing and improvising.

If you are on a budget and aren't mad with skills it will be easier to run your existing tranny, you can rebuild it yourself with a $300 kit from Fatsco, not brain surgery, then everything will fit and work.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016