Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats a 1950 Ford 8ba flathead worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PipeWelder81, Oct 11, 2011.

1. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

i was considering selling my 1950 ford 8BA flathead. Its complete carb to pan. IT ran well when i had it in the car, 45-50 lbs of oil pressure, no smoke. Just had some valve chatter so will more than likely need a valve job. pretty clean motor, mileage is unknown though. Previous owner said it was overhauled in the 1990s at some point. just wondering what the going rate is these days. I have the motor and trans still bolted together sitting on a dolly. let me know what you guys think. thanks!

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If the buyer can't remove the heads and check for cracks $100 to $200. If the buyer can hear it run $800-$1500. If the buyer can remove the heads and there are no cracks $800 and up. This assumes the engine has been kept inside out of the weather and is not "stuck".
    Differerent parts of the country command different prices.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds a bit rich for one that needs a valve job. I paid 450 for a runner a year ago and that is about the going price for a running stock 8-BA around this area.

4. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

wow thats a big difference. I never removed the heads on the flatty, but like i said it ran well and the guy that had the car before me drove it all the time. when i got it home, i drove it for a few days before i pulled the motor out and that was only about 6 months ago and its been in my garage. i was just curious what would be a good asking price for the motor and tranny. thanks for you input i appreciate it

5. I wouldn't pay over $300 dollars for a motor I can't inspect.

6. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

I paid $250 for mine.. no carb.. unknown state.. I got the pump, fan, and gen and brackets, just not in the photo.

Attached Files:

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i just sold a block and crank for $150. Think i sold that 59ab to Hitchhiker for like $200

8. I got to look at it too.

9. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I just bought a great running 8BA carb to pan with the radiator,one wire alt with bracket and a top shift trans for $600 I took it out.

10. ironpile

ironpile

Whatever someone will give for it ,as is no guarantees.

11. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

You ask what it is worth and we answer what we would pay.

I pay $100 to $200 for unstuck flatheads. I recognize that they are probably worth more. If I did not have a few around and needed one, my price would increase.

Back to what it is worth. I would ask $500 and see how it goes. You need to find someone that is in the need catagory. The problem would be the noisy valves. If it has adjustable lifters, the problem is not a big deal.

Neal

12. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I have bought several 8ba flatheads and i have never paid over 300 hundred for one that wasnt were i could inspect or hear it run.The last one i bought, i paid 500 dollars for it but i heard it run before we pulled it and the guy threw a tranny and a steering column in on the deal.

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Go to ebay. type "flathead ford engine" into the search box, then go to completed listings.

You'll find out what people are actually paying.