Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Whatcha gonna do with that car old man?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Hey Lloyd, Ashley would get more for that El Camino if it had paint on it, old man. Haha!

2. indyjps

indyjps

I like estate sales, first year I had a house, bought all my outdoor stuff. Shovels mower, hoses, fertilizer spreader WITH a bag of fertilizer, some tools etc.
    I don't mind that it's pre-owned, has some character.

3. Strange that this thread popped back up right after I made a call Saturday morning asking about a 33 Ford pu I have been trying to buy since I heard about it. The owner isn’t in the best shape and his son has no interest. He does seem to like me and says that I am first on the list once he decides to sell. Apparently I am trying to end up with another vehicle for my boys to argue over. :oops:

4. Budget36

Budget36

Lol!
    Just struck me as funny.

5. In a few short weeks I will have been a member of the Hamb for 20 years and I was about the same age as you when I joined and yeah I am one of the Old Farts here but I intend on hanging around as long as I'm able.

I honestly believe that being a hot rodder or a Custom car guy/builder keeps you active and that keeps you young at heart.

As far as the cars go. after we are gone or unable to drive anymore the eldest granddaughter will inherit the Ranch Wagon, the grandson inherits the '65 Ford truck and the youngest granddaughter gets in Deuce. HRP

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  6. Well, I know my kids aren’t getting anything. My son would sell everything for 10 cents on my a dollar and my daughter lived in NYC wnd would have no place to put one. My two grandkids are too young to get them and if they did get them, my son would probably convince them to sell them. So, I have a young man, a son of sone very dear friends of ours, who will get everything. If either of my grandkids have the means and place to put them, can insure them properly, and can maintain them., the young man who is getting them will know what to do.

I am no pro at building hotrods but by they are part of my legacy and a part of who I am as a person. At least in his lifetime they will be enjoyed as I have ….

7. Just more proof we really don’t own anything.
    We just look after it for a short time

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My grandson will be getting everything I own, my kids are to busy with there lives to deal with a house, the cars and trailers and all those damn tools I had to have. The grandson love motorcycles so he can sell what he wants and buy what he wants.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I showed my sister my "antique toy and automobilia museum" all in one room I told her "just so you know there is 10 grand worth of junk in here in case I die" and she just said she'd call an estate sale person to get rid of it all. that was like getting kicked in the nuts.

Okie Pete, slim38, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  10. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I keep a list of what I think my cars are worth and even who might be interested in them if I die. I also put anything else on there that I have that might have some value. I tell my wife where that list is so she can look at it if need be. We're only caretakers of this stuff. One other thing I do is give kids a good price on things I don't need anymore and they seem like they could use a hand. The smiles are worth it!

11. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

No children or girlfriend so my brother will get the avatar if he wants it and is prepared to pay the import duties where he is. If I live long enough, one of his sons (the one who has an interest in such a car).

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

After my wife and I are dead and gone, all my junk will be my kids' problems, unless I get rid of it first. Nothing here is rare or valuable. I don't think I'm going care what happens to it after I'm not here anymore.

13. jimpopper

jimpopper

The cars I built, I will give to my children or sell once I can no longer handle their power safely. The ones I'm building can leave at any point in time. I just do it for the challenge and there are other challenges. Nobody in my family wants to inherit a project and I work at my speed around other things. Wrenching and building has few participants and the best examples of our craftmanship will only survive if the right hands get them. I don't blame the kids. They've been discouraged from the trades and some of the attitudes displayed on forums such as these. No room for fresh ideas in the club so to speak.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  14. topher5150

topher5150

I don't plan on kicking the bucket anytime soon, but the good Lord may have a different plan. We don't have any kids so I told the wife that when my time comes try to sell anything to my brother, maybe the nephews may want something, but their knowledge anything cars doesn't go any further than hot wheels. Anything beyond that keep anything sentimental and sell everything else.
    giphy.gif

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.