Register now to get rid of these ads!

History what year was the last chevy business coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman71, Oct 24, 2008.

1. oldsman71

oldsman71

this guy at work tried to tell us he had a 56 chevy business coupe:eek: i was pretty sure it didnt exist! what was the last busi. coupe ,thanks ,cobey:D

2. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

I'm guessing 52

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

4. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Business coupes were made through 57. They were stripped models, 2 door posts with no back seat.

5. I've seen a '55 that had the rear shelf instead of a seat. Up 'til then I thought 52 also!

6. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

A buddy of mine had a'56 Chevy bus.coupe. Just as described above,2dr. post and a flat platform instead of a seat in back. Shit that was a long time ago,he's gone now, I miss him. N.N.

7. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

56 Business coupe

Attached Files:

Squablow likes this.
  8. atomickustom

atomickustom

1953 was the last year for the shorter roofline (which in my mind means the last year for the true coupe!), but as everyone has said they used the name "business coupe" into the late 1950s. To me they are just a 2-door sedan with no back seat.

Stan Back, texasred and 49ratfink like this.
  9. henry29

henry29

I've seen some 54 chevy buisness coupes with the shorter roof, 55-57 buisness coupes had the same roof as the two door sedan.
    I have a 57 150 buisness coupe. It has no options other than two tone pant and power pack v8. It has a cigarette lighter delete, clock delete, radio delete and heater delete.

10. oldsman71

oldsman71

I guess i learned something new, thanks guys!!!!!! i was thinking about the different roof i just couldnt picture it just being the missing back seat and platform.

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

53 indeed was the last year for the short roof cars. There were not very many made in 53, and legend has it, they were no more than left over 52's. Likely didn't sell well. The way to tell is if the rear window have regulators and crank, the car is NOT a short roof car. The short roof cars had window that slid backwards about 4-5". This car is not a business coupe, as it does have a rear seat. It IS for sale, so PM me if interested in learning more.

Attached Files:

12. I have a Chevrolet Historical picture book that shows a 59 or 60 Biscayne "business coupe" that doesn't have a back seat.

Jay

49ratfink likes this.
  13. Ma Bell in Jersey used them through '57. Had a buddy who was an installer who bought one when they cycled them out of the fleet around '61-'62.

14. Had a 55 long time ago,Had Lucky Strike on the door when I bought it...
    Looked like a 2dr post with the platform in rear seat area..Dont remember about the rear roll down windows.Been too long ago!Put a Cadillac in it with a Chet Herbert roller
    and a 37 Cad-Lasalle tranny..........Bad ass motorscooter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sounds like fun!

16. Yeah, they were also reffered to as salesmens models. I have seen em as well.

17. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on how you define Business coupe. If you just mean the absence of a back seat from the factory then up through the late 50's. If you mean the shortened body top/lengthened deck lid then about 53. As an old line hot rodder, the latter was how we thought of the business coupe.

Stan Back and zzford like this.
  18. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

I saw a 55 Chevy without the back seat at a car show 20 years ago. First I thought the guy took it out but he said it was factory. It was strange looking.

19. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Yes.

20. sundance

sundance
    from minnesota

i once had a 56 chev b/coupe--it did not have a rear seat and the 1/4 glass was stationary--set in molded rubber like the back glass and w/shield---the color was dark green,making me think it was built for the military or ma bell

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

As a historical oddity...there is an early factory picture of the '55 lineup that shows an actual '55 coupe, with distinctly shorter roof than the tudor. I would assume that means that the coupe body came fairly close to production before it was axed.

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

For Chevrolet, the last year for a Business Coupe was 1960. I've owned 2 56' Chevrolet Business Coupes. Now, along with my 56' Sedan Delivery, I also have a 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe. NO REAR SEAT, A PLATFORM FOR SUITCASES AND WARES, AND THE REAR SIDE WINDOWS DO NOT ROLL DOWN, THEY ARE STATIONARY IN A GASKET. They were ALWAYS baseline models, and after 54, Chevrolet referred to them as Utility Sedans instead of Business coupes. Those were the days!!!! Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  23. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

My '49 is titled as a "Sport Coupe"

Short roof, with a back seat and the rear windows slide backwards to open

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

INDEED, those were the days. Poverty caps, too.

25. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

My father had one of the real 1955 Chevy 150 models back in the early Eighties. Painted black and was a dead ringer for the "Graffiti" car. Single sun-visor, original wood covering where the back seat should have been. A really decent solid car that he sold for cheap to a friend that had to have it! Anyway, there was recently a '62 Chevy Biscayne on E-bay that was an old Army base car and had the wood down on the floor in the passenger seat area. Even had the original gree paint on the exterior. I guess Chevrolet was still producing these "business coupes" up into the early Sixties. Cool car to have.

26. I think board member loogy still has one of the short roof 53's. When he first told me about it I thought he was pulling my leg...sure enough they are real.

27. Rhino Ray

Rhino Ray

Great thread. Learn more and more every day. I had a heck of a time finding a rear seat that fit in my business coupe. I still have the origional old parts if I want it to go back.

28. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

The post-war 'salesman's special' from Chevy was available as the 'Business Coupe' from 1947 thru 1953, in 1954 it was offered as the 'Utility Sedan' and available thru 1961

CC

29. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

I had a 55 business coupe. Shown in my avitar.

30. mochevy69

mochevy69
    from sc usa

A few years ago at the SUPER CHEVY SHOW at Atlanta GA. I saw a 55 chevy coupe/ute. It came from South Africa. It had a flat panel in place of the rear seat, stationary side glass in rear, and NO trunk lid!! It had a truck bed welded in place inside of the trunk cavity, from factory!!
    It was also RIGHT HAND DRIVE!!