Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AntiBling, Feb 26, 2010.

1. AntiBling

AntiBling

Alright I'm getting kind of peeved here. So June 2008 I bought my '57 Ford. The guy selling the car sold it with a parts car that was sitting on a farm from the town he originally got the car I picked up from. The farm was abandoned, he told me it wasn't a problem for the car to sit there till I had time to pick it up, it wasn't his farm, he just had rights to the car.

So fast forward to this fall, it was a 100 mile drive but I was gonna go get the parts car. Drove out following the directions and map he gave me, found the farm, found a bunch of vehicles lying around, no '57 Ford.

Now today I see this clown is advertising that he wants to buy a '57 Ford project!

It could be coincidence but he emailed me shortly after I got the car asking me if I was going to use that parts car, cause if not he was going to go get it. I told him that I was going to use it.

Ticks me off because mechanically my car is really good condition, this other car is missing most of the running gear and motor and such but has a nice body. I was hoping to pick the car up this fall and work on the body on that car then swap all the working stuff from my driver over.

I don't know if there is anything I can do, I have the emails from when I originally bought the cars, he emailed me the pics of the parts car, and emails talking about the parts car.

2. No matter what the guy said, two years is a long time to wait to get a car, even a parts car. Were you in communication with him in the meantime? Or did you just wait until you decided you had time?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I were in his shoes I might by this time have decided that you didn't want the parts car as you hadn't made an effort to go get it. A year and a half is a long time to wait for someone to come pick something up.
    About all you can do now is contact him and tell him that you went after the parts car and it wasn't where he said it was and did he move it to where it is easier for you to get to and see what he says.

4. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

I'm going to say you kinda screwed the pooch on this one, two years later he probably thought you backed out on getting the parts car. You have ANY paper work saying he was letting you have the parts car, Bill of sale or anything? If not, just chalk it up to experience.

5. Did you contact him to see if he did indeed pick it up?

maybe after 1 1/2 years he figured you were no longer interested?

6. mac762

mac762

You messed up by not getting the car sooner. Do you have pictures of the parts car? You could have a little fun with the guy......he is wanting to buy a 57 Ford project. Have him drive over to look at the 57 Ford you have for sale. :) Maybe he'd like a knucklesandwich?

7. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Well, first thing I would say is that you waited too long.

Do you have paper work showing that you purchsed this "parts' car from this guy with the Vin and/or title? I wouldn't think an exchange of emails is going to stick if you were to get the law involved.

Confront the guy and ask him where this car is.

As far as it being "OK" for the car to sit there -WRONG! He doesn't own the property.

8. Giving a buyer some time to pickup a car is one thing. Close to 2 years, in my eyes is clearly an unreasonable amount of time to expect someone to sit on something waiting for a buyer to come get it. What if the farm that he clearly says he doesn't own had been sold? All the iron could have gone to the crusher by now. Unfortunately, I thing you lose on this one.

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Wow this sounds like a learning experience to me.

10. AntiBling

AntiBling

The car sat for about a year or less, considering when I went out there, there was no indication of a car being moved, I told him I probably wouldn't have time to get the car till last summer because I was working 12 hours a day 6 days a week 200 miles away from the parts car, and in my off time I was building a new house at my farm the summer I bought the car. The farm is an old farm that isn't used, just sits there, the owner doesn't even live in this state. So I guess I was off base thinking the car could sit at an abandoned farm over the winter when the guy said, "It's an abandoned farm it can sit there as long as you need."

I emailed him asking about the car. We'll see what he says.

11. call him, tell him you have the car he is looking for, find out where he is, drive over there and get YOUR car

12. James427

James427
    BANNED

Ditto on the waiting 2 years comments above, but double shame on you for KNOWING it was not his farm that the car sat there on and THEN waiting two years!! Especialy when the farm was described to you as "abandoned" meaning ANYONE could pull up to it and haul it off.

13. eberhama

eberhama

Like others have said, I think you waited too long. I have a ton of '57 stuff if you need parts. I have 5 '57s and 1 '58. Going to look at another '58 tomorrow. Any desire to make your car into a 2dr post?, or maybe a phantom 300 2dr hardtop?

14. AntiBling

AntiBling

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS GETTING TWO YEARS! I HAVENT EVEN OWNED MY CAR FOR TWO YEARS!

Lets work this out for you, June 22nd 2008 I went and bought the car I have now.

September 5th 2009 I drove out there to look for the car.

I flat out told the guy I would not have time to get the car before winter, the winter we had, you were not getting the car.

The flooding we had this spring, getting a parts car wasn't a possibility or a priority.

Losing my job this summer, getting a parts car wasn't a priority.

The farm, the guy that owned my car, died, the guy I bought the car from bought the cars from the dead guys brother, who lives in California. He owns the farm. I was told given this he didn't care how long it took to get the car out.

The last time this guy asked me about the car, I told him that yes I wanted to use the car. He never said anything more about it needing to be gone, which judging by the other vehicles on the farm, nothing was being done.

If some ultimatum was given, then yes I would've taken the time to go get the car sooner, but I guess telling someone something and then not honoring that is ok for the rest of the country?

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow! I have a hard time buying anything in any kind of barter, trade or cash deal and not securing it right away (I don't even like the time it takes to drive somewhere wondering what might happen.) It makes me a nervous wreck to think about someone changing their mind, backing out, thinking better or just getting hit by a bus before I would get a chance to close a fair deal.

That being said, I sure wish you well as you muddle through this one!!

Keep us informed!

16. AntiBling

AntiBling

You got a 2dr post body or just parts to do the conversion?

17. eberhama

eberhama

The '58 I'm going to look at tomorrow is a 2dr. post(don't know if its a 300 or 500). I need it for the front clip and the side trim and a few other bits. I don't need any of the rest of the body, though. Going to try to get pics, and try to nail down a deal. It should be reasonable.

18. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

What I would do:
    1. Call the man on the phone and tell him (in a polite manner) that you are disappointed with his actions and hope he changes his methods of dealing with others.
    2. Invest in a car trailer and be prepared to get whatever you buy at the moment of purchase.
    3. Learn to trust no one.

19. AntiBling

AntiBling

I have a car trailer, that fits one car at a time.

I had one day a week with my job to get the car.

I also would have to find someone with a loader to get the parts car on the trailer, as it had no wheels on it, and no rearend.

This would have been my drive to get both cars:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...,-98.90947&sspn=3.327939,8.453979&ie=UTF8&z=8

20. mac762

mac762

If I really felt he was wrong, (wether he was or not), I'd go stomp his ass. That's pretty traditional. Keeping in mind some people will shoot your ass instead of fight.......
    I bought a 67 EL Camino from a Friend. He had it stored in the yard he was no longer living at, he still owned it but it was vacant. Due to several snow storms I couldn't get out to move the car for a week. The first damn chance I got I towed that fucker home. I knew he didn't really have any control over what happened to it while it sat unguarded. I didn't sleep well for that week.

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

X 2 what temper_mental said ... the way i always treat a deal is get all parts and vehicles to my shed asap this way they are under your control and strangers arent accessing your stuff on someone else property and stuff come up missing or violated ,

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've prolly purchased 40 cars in the last 30 years. I'd guess the longest I ever took to get the car back to my place was 1 day. even with the distance involved there's no way I'd wait more than a couple weeks.

23. They were probably getting the 2 years from your June 2008 to now. Yeah it's rounding up a bit, but then you didn't say you went in September 09 either, did ya? (I said 1 1/2 years) Eitehr way it was over a year.
    If you went in Sept 09, which is almost 6 months ago, did you contact him then to see where it went? Or just waited til now?

24. This exchange was not between HAMBers ....
    You are acting kinda pissy for a guy living in North Dakota :cool:
    Living thru a Winter in North Dakota on a good year is
    challenge enough for anyone

Look at this as a learning experience ;)
    You should have figured out your lesson by now :)

Jim

25. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

So what is a reasonable time to wait for someone to pick something up ? I have a guys truck "42 International" who was going to pick it up on monday 4 months ago and now I am free storage . I know I should charge him storage and all that crap but really I just want it off my property . So do I just keep calling ,should I load it up and take it to him or just push it in the weeds out back and forget about it ?

26. same here, I just dont trust anyone enough to wait..if it was an abandoned farm anyone could take it, hell what was stopping you from taking any of the other cars that were at the farm when you went looking for your parts car..see our point

but in the end hope it works out for you