Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What were your grandparents driving when you were a kid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lebowski, May 21, 2016.

1. 31Dodger.I love that car.I had a 56 ,man I am so sorry I sold that car .Bruce.

2. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

My grandfather owned a '56 Mercery, 3 speed on the tree and he would let me drive when he came to visit. Living Large at 14!

3. Father's side a Kaiser, I think a '49. That's me discovering I really like cars. The other's the Greenwald's, no idea year or make. Kaiser.jpg Greenwald.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Raiman1959 likes this.
  4. On my fathers side grandpa had a bunch of beat up old Hudson 4 doors. On my mothers side were Studebakers and finally a '58 Ford convertible hardtop, blue and white. Wish I had that car today.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

On moms side I barely remember a green 58 ford then a 63 Belair and then a 67 impala,on dads side it was a 61 Falcon wagon and then a 66 Olds 88 that he had up to his death.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

46 Plymouth, I recall seeing photos of me when younger with it, way too long ago to actually remember :rolleyes:

7. None of my grandparents ever owned a car.

8. You guys must be all young. My Grandparents drove one of these. OR-CoveredWagon.JPG

j hansen, chevy57dude, hrm2k and 7 others like this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Grandma bought a 1967 Falcon 2dr coupe 289/auto new. Its been mine since 1990...These will have a role in the next incarnation...;):) Both my grandfathers died before I was born. Too much high living...
    DSCF0151[1].jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  10. donno21

donno21

On my Dad's side it was a 37 Ford flatback, on my Mom's side it was a 38 Chevy 4 door.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, I am lovin' that Mack LTLSW!!!
    [​IMG]

Duellym likes this.
  12. Travis T

Travis T

My grandpa bought a 31 Model A Tudor in 1937, traded his Model T for it. Drove it until 1959, my mom owns it now. His first new vehicle was a 1950 F-1 truck which I now own. I wish I had his old 1950 Crestliner.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Great Grandpa on Mom's side had a 50 or 51 Chevy 4 door, traded it for a 61 Impala 4 door in about 1975, owned it until his death a few years later. Grandma on Mom's side had a 67 Chevy II 4 door, she had traded in a 61 Corvair 4 door on it. Grandpa on Mom's side died a year before I was born, but have a pic of him in front of a 40 Ford Tudor, and Mom has a pic of him beside an AD series Chevy pickup, and a pic of Grandma in front of her 1955 Chevy 4 door. I think the 55 was traded in on the Corvair, but I don't remember it, barely remember the Corvair leaving an oily spot everywhere she parked!

My Dad was the first one in his family to own a car, a 50 Dodge, only Dodge he ever owned, in about 1955. After that it was all Fords except a 71 Chevy pickup he kept for years. Neither of my Grandparents on Dad's side ever learned to drive anything but a mule and wagon. They would catch a ride with the guy Grandpa worked for in his pulpwood truck if they had to go to town.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Grandmother, 1976 Thunderbird navy with tan velour, then 1984 Continental grey on grey. Grandfather, 1981 F150 tan, then for some reason a pink S10. Other Grandmother 1975 Cutlass green on green.

15. Mrs. HRP's granddad was a conductor for the Blue Ridge Railroad and drove one of these.

[​IMG]

When he wasn't piloting the behemoth he drove this up until he died. HRP

[​IMG]

You guys already know what Brenda's grandmother drove,the very same wagon Brenda drives today. HRP

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Raiman1959 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

36 Chevy Sedan when I was born, 47 or 48 Fleetline fastback with all the bells and whistles when I was little and a 54 Chevy tudor 210 I think when I turned 8 to 1961 when they bought a 61 Biscayne wagon. All from the same dealer and all bought for cash. In his 80 something years my grandfather never made a car payment but owned 5 new cars that I know of and two trucks he bought new.
    I went on a lot of road trips to the Washington and Oregon beaches in that 54 Chevy when I was a kid. One of the first rigs I drove when I was young was my grandfather's 48 Chev 1 ton flatbed when I helped him out in the fields.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It was before my time, but my maternal great Grandfather drove a 2-10-4 Selkirk in Northern Alberta. Somewhere I have the classic yellowed photo of him standing beside it in the traditional hat, with the traditional oil can in hand...

18. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Chrysler,Chrysler,Chrysler, Since the 30's they bought new Chryslers every year. They took the train to Detroit and got new one from Snethcamp Motors, a factory outlet store. They were always able to get their new one, a week or so before the official release.

The 1st new one I remember was a 1950 Chrysler all metal station wagon, with that fake alligator skin upholstery, damn it was cold in the winter. The last car they had was a 1961 Chrysler crown Imperial convertible, primrose with matching leather interior and while top. Swivel seats, wonder bar radio, and pod mounted headlights, and fins to die for,

just sayin,

brasscarguy

19. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

When I was about 3 or 4 years old, I remember GranDad driving a '56 or '57 Cadillac. It was a 4 door Sedan. Powder blue with blue interior. The last one he bought was a '60 Fleetwood. Wish I had the Fleetwood now.

20. Smiffy

Smiffy

My Grandparents drove a 38 Dodge Sedan and my Grandfather had a 36 and 37 Chevrolet 1/2 ton picks he was a builder and had a sawmill. Remember he had a stack of old car and truck engines to run the mill.

21. Paternal grandparents drove a Henry J. Probably bought it from Sears. Maternal Grandfather was into Studebaker's. Last one I remember was a 52 4 door. One ugly car! Five of the 6 Uncles were into cars. Had to be because they lived in SoCal.
    Here is a picture of me in one of my Uncles Model A roadster hot rods in San Diego. Probably in 1949/50. Got a few dash plaques from his runs at El Mirage. Got up to 99mph with a 4 banger. Me in a hot rod.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

They had a red car and a yellow car:D

23. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

My grandparents had a 65 Monoco w/a 413, an grandfather worked at Kaiser gravel Quarry around Livermore CA. As a welder with a bad ass 63 Chevy 1 ton dually all set up as a welding rig...pissed I wasn't old enough when he passed to get my hands on it! In the 80's... If anyone knows of it in northern CA. Possible Redding area , Red factory faded paint, silver hand made welding bed,cabnits above rear wheels, gas Lincoln I believe welder.. I'd be interested...

24. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

On my dad's side a tall fin Caddy, didn't know my mom's dad, but her uncle who I always treated as a grandfather usually had simple class Chevys.

25. If your grandparents purchased the car from Sears,Roebuck & Company the badging would be different,instead of Henry J it would have had the Allstate badge. HRP

[​IMG]

26. elba

elba

63 Buick special, V6, auto

27. J D Coop

J D Coop

My grandmother drove a bullet nose Studebaker 4 dr.

My great-grandfather grew up in old Fort Laramie. When I was a lad we would visit and he would take me for a ride in his 35 Chevy coupe. "Come on boy. Let's go into town. We'll take the machine.".

28. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Sorry but that not HAMB friendly. That TOO traditional. Plus, no "patina" vehicles around here.

29. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

My moms father was a Chrysler man but I can't remember any of their old cars. I think he drove Desoto's until they went away then switched to Dodge's.

My dads folks drove a 37 Chevy coupe from 38 until 55 when it was sealed up in my great grandfathers chicken coup. I think around 51-52 they bought a new Buick and then bought a new one every other year until 71. I don't remember the reason but my grandfather bought a Chrysler 300. Das Boot!

That 37 had a ton of miles on it. It now resides in my storage unit, awaiting it's fate. My grandparents, prior to the war, lived in the logging camps in and south of Yosemite and the car went with them. Tough life style for sure.

I can vaguely remember their 63 Riviera. White with black interior. They kept that one until the 300. Man those were gorgeous cars.

30. Tony

Tony

My grand father on my moms side passed before i was born, but my dads dad always drove impala's....well almost. Normally white with red interior, aside from the last one he owned, that was blue/blue.
    70's and 80's era.
    Prior to the 70's impalas, and after the white and red 63 impala he bought new, he had one dodge dart in the mix somehow. That was white/red too lol

Tony